Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#719462 - 04/20/07 04:45 PM Official Checks Signature
Doxie Pride Offline
At my bank we require staff below VP level to sign official checks with the words "for cashier" behind their signature. We are looking at eliminating this as it seems unneccessary. Does anyone see a reason why we could not?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#719813 - 04/20/07 08:38 PM Re: Official Checks Signature Doxie Pride
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I'm strictly guessing, but this practice probably dates from someone's opinion -- it may have been an attorney -- that staff below the VP didn't have authority to sign cashier's checks.

Authorizing branch managers and sometimes even teller supervisors (non-officers) to sign official checks is something that's done routinely by some banks. Their goal is to put signing authority (1) where it's needed, and (2) in the hands of responsible individuals, regardless of title.

From a practical point, if a non-authorized individual signs a cashier's check, the bank might still be obligated on it, under the theory of apparent authority.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#719834 - 04/20/07 08:51 PM Re: Official Checks Signature John Burnett
Doxie Pride Offline
Thanks, John. We actually have our tellers sign official checks unless they get over a certain $ amount. Do you see any reason why they would need to add "for cashier" behind their signature?

Return to Top
#719848 - 04/20/07 09:13 PM Re: Official Checks Signature Doxie Pride
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I see no reason for that little bit of surplusage.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#740387 - 05/25/07 02:58 PM Re: Official Checks Signers exceeding authority? John Burnett
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
At our bank, we authorize specific persons to sign on specific official check accounts for each branch. Most have dollar limits above which they may not sign. Difficulties arise if the person with adequate authority is not present in the branch when a check must be issued for loan proceeds or for a withdrawal.

How do other banks handle this scenario?

Return to Top
#740412 - 05/25/07 03:10 PM Re: Official Checks Signers exceeding authority? rexinaudit
blue Offline
Platinum Poster
Above a certain threshold, it takes two signatures. The first may be a teller but the second has to be an officer or a supervisor with certain system access level. Our system requires that someone with that acess level be there just to make the teller operations run.

Return to Top
#740441 - 05/25/07 03:30 PM Re: Official Checks Signers exceeding authority? blue
Retread Offline
Power Poster
Retread
Southeast
I know it sounds crazy, and it has been a long time since I checked, but many years ago there were some state banking laws that required each bank to have a "cashier". At the same time, the thinking was that "cashier's checks" had to be signed by the cashier or a representative of the cashier. Check your state laws because I think there may still be a few that require the signature of the bank's president or cashier on "official" bank obligations, including cashier's checks.

Return to Top
#740669 - 05/25/07 05:10 PM Re: Official Checks Signers exceeding authority? blue
rexinaudit Offline
Gold Star
rexinaudit
New England
Thank you, the two signatures option could be a solution.

Are there any other solutions in use at community bank branches?

Return to Top
#740733 - 05/25/07 05:54 PM Re: Official Checks Signers exceeding authority? rexinaudit
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
"Back in the day," the ancient banker offered, "when we had a small branch that needed to issue a treasurer's check (state-chartered banks in Massachusetts have treasurers, not cashier's, but the checks meet the legal definition of 'cashier's checks') and the only authorized signer was not available, the teller called our accounting area, explained the need, and was given an OK to sign a specific check number. Then accounting would initial the 'issued' side of the transaction when it was processed."
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett