Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#762112 - 06/27/07 02:53 PM Charging fee to cash on-us check
CABCompliance Offline
100 Club
Is there a regulatory reason that prevents us from charging a fee to a non-customer for cashing an on-us check?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#762134 - 06/27/07 03:06 PM Re: Charging fee to cash on-us check CABCompliance
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This has been posted previously and the answer is no, there is not a regulatory reason. However, many (including myself) believe that there is an ethical issue.

Return to Top
#762430 - 06/27/07 05:48 PM Re: Charging fee to cash on-us check Skittles
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
I do think there are legal concerns that need to be addressed if you are going to do this. First, you probably want your account agreement to include the depositor's permission for the bank to charge such a fee. There is always the possiblity that (without such a clause) your depositor will make a claim against the bank for wrongful dishonor because the bank refused to pay a check unless the payee paid the fee.

Also, if you are charging to cash payroll checks, you may be creating a problem for your business depositors. Some states have rules requiring employers to pay employees with checks that can be cashed "at par" or at face value at a local financial institution. If you charge a fee, the employer may be subject to claims by their employees for violating this requirement. I believe that Bank of America or Wells Fargo just got sued for something like this in (of course) California.

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett