Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#779788 - 07/20/07 05:40 PM Signature Card
mstark Offline
Gold Star
mstark
Bank
If a customer gets married and her name changes must we redo and have her sign a new signature card?

Return to Top
Deposits and Payments
#779824 - 07/20/07 05:48 PM Re: Signature Card mstark
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
You don't have to do anything you don't want to do, but matching cards/signatures/systems generally make for easier processing and fewer questions/concerns in the future.

Return to Top
#779848 - 07/20/07 05:55 PM Re: Signature Card #Just Jay
noctrl02 Offline
100 Club
Chicago, IL
How will you verify signatures in the future? She isn't going to be signing checks with her maiden name. I'd want to be able to see her whole signature when matching and not rely just on her first name. If you get bought out or the staff changes, they may not recognize that the person at their window is in fact the same person who signed the signature card.

And if, heaven forbid, something should happen to your bank the FDIC (and your customer) may have trouble determining the ownership of the account.

At my FI it's always a new name, new signature policy.

Return to Top
#779958 - 07/20/07 06:44 PM Re: Signature Card noctrl02
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I would suggest if they come in to open a joint account, with the new name, ou handle it at that time. Is it a requirement? You need to look to your internal policies on signature crds to determine that.

Return to Top
#779965 - 07/20/07 06:47 PM Re: Signature Card mstark
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Considering the minimal amount of time and effort involved, I suggest the answer is an easy "Yes."

Return to Top

Moderator:  John Burnett