BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#86216 - 06/06/03 03:18 PM Returned Bank Statements
kwbanker Offline
New Poster
kwbanker
Key West Florida
If we have bank statements (with imaged checks) returned undelivered and after investigation, cannot get them to our customer, can we shred these statements after 60 days instead of storing them? They can be re-created if and when the customer can be found.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#86217 - 06/06/03 03:50 PM Re: Returned Bank Statements
Messenger Offline
New Poster
Messenger
That sounds kind of suspicious. I would want to check on the account and see if $$$ was flowing to some off shore. When a new acct is established, we send a thank you. If it comes back indeliverable, we raise the red flags and investigate further.

As to shreading, if you can recreate it why not? Oh yeah read my disclaimer.

Return to Top
#86218 - 06/06/03 04:23 PM Re: Returned Bank Statements
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
I don't know if the statements can be shredded or not. This is somewhat of a retention issue and therefore varies by state. (In my state it is optional as long as the recreation of the material is available, otherwise it is 11 years.)
Last edited by kansayaku; 06/06/03 04:29 PM.

Return to Top
#86219 - 06/07/03 02:45 AM Re: Returned Bank Statements
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
As noted, check your state requirements. But if they are basically images now and can be recreated to look the same and carry the same weight, charge a fee for processing it if disclosed, put it on return mail status and move on, recreating it as needed at some future date.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#86220 - 06/09/03 02:47 PM Re: Returned Bank Statements
Mickey Offline
100 Club
Mickey
FL
I had this same question but my question revolved around those statements that we get back that have checks in them. What should you do then? We are able to obtain a copy of the check from the Federal Reserve if needed, so I had decided after six months of no contact then we should shred them.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett