Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#93481 - 07/01/03 08:41 PM No check demand deposit account
Anonymous
Unregistered

Does anyone know of any reason why a bank should allow a customer to have a checking account but not allow the customer to order checks for the account?

I have found a couple of accounts set up that way. I am told it is because the customer cannot handle a checking account so they just come to the bank and withdraw funds. Probably the free checking is better for the customer than a savings account.

What if the customer decided to order checks and we refused to complete the bank information slip. Could there be a discrimination issue with this? I assume the customers were not processed through our vendor software when the account was opened and this was based on past history with the bank. But how long can we apply this old history?

If a customer asks for checks should we run him through the system again? If he clears would we have to let him have checks? If he does not clear the system, give him the notice of action and refuse to allow a check order?

Thanks for your opinions.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#93482 - 07/01/03 08:52 PM Re: No check demand deposit account
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
We have a "Checkless Checking" account. Customers wanted the attributes of a DDA without the register to keep up with. It is all ATM/debit card based. We met a demand in designing the product, because it was requested.

If they want checks, they can get a different product priced accordingly. You may price your checkless checking knowing it is low maintenance and that checks will not be going through proof.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#93483 - 07/01/03 09:42 PM Re: No check demand deposit account
starfish Offline
Gold Star
starfish
Seattle
The other issue I see is that your customer could have checks ordered through a different check ordering company. If you truly do not want the customer to have access to checks, you should probably set up a savings account instead. If there are fees associated with this account but not your free checking account, maybe think about waiving it for the customer. I would also not want to attach an ATM/Debit card to this account if they have a money-handling issue- it is possible to overdraw the account through these methods as well as writing a check.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett