Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#97291 - 07/15/03 09:32 PM Grand Jury Subpoena
Anonymous
Unregistered

I did a search and didn't see anything about this. We are only in Utah and got a Grand Jury subpoena from Tennessee. Do we have to comply or does the government have to get the subpoena issued in Utah?
Thank you to anyone who answers.

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#97292 - 07/16/03 12:24 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
You need to discuss this with your local counsel. It seems ot me that it would be difficult proposition for the Tennessee courts to enforce the subpoena in Uatah, but you never know.

Return to Top
#97293 - 07/16/03 12:49 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
What kind of court in Tennessee? Federal Court? State Court? Municipal Court? Justice of the Peace? This will matter to your counsel who will ultimately need to answer this question for you. I agree with pbrinker--they are going to have a tough time enforcing a Tennessee subpoena in Utah. If it is a federal court subpoena, this may be a different story.

ALL SUBPOENAS MUST IMMEDIATELY BE SENT TO LEGAL COUNSEL!!!! This needs to be a written policy. Want to get your bank in trouble fast--try to save legal fees by figuring it out yourself or by finding the answer on BOL or from an officer who has dealt with subpoenas in the past. Bad move. Bad career move.

Return to Top
#97294 - 07/16/03 02:47 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
It could be easy to resolve by providing documentation of the information the grand jury is looking for. However, Zaibatsu makes an excelent point...subpoenas should go to legal as soon as received.

Return to Top
#97295 - 07/16/03 03:49 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
Anonymous
Unregistered

I should have been clear that this is a federal grand jury subpoena.

Return to Top
#97296 - 07/16/03 07:19 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
If your attorney does not have this yet you should worry. Federal grand juries have long arms...I have not researched the issue, but don't dawdle, doodle, dally, or delay!!

Return to Top
#97297 - 07/16/03 10:45 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
Tisa Offline
Platinum Poster
Tisa
Do you know the way to ...
If it's Federal, you have to comply. Their jurisdiction is the entire United States of America.

If it's a state or local court, then you'll have to do some more checking to see if they have jurisdiction....

Return to Top
#97298 - 07/17/03 02:20 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Are you in jail yet or did you give this to your attorney?

Return to Top
#97299 - 07/17/03 02:41 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thanks everyone - no, not in jail. Looking at AAA books to see if maybe I should just go and take the docs with me to the grand jury and make a little vacation of it. Know of any fun sights in TN? :-)

Return to Top
#97300 - 07/17/03 03:12 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Sure. And we have an entire thread on Des Moines. You can stop there on your way.

Return to Top
#97301 - 07/17/03 06:56 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
SJB Offline
Diamond Poster
SJB
California
Zaibatsu - From reading your signature line you will appreciate this. Years ago after graduating from law school I told my grandmother that I was back in the army - I had joined the Army Reserve. She replied, "Oh good, I always thought you were too honest to be a lawyer." Little did she know the Reserve was not to be a full time profession.

Return to Top
#97302 - 07/17/03 07:02 PM Re: Grand Jury Subpoena
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hope you did not disappoint her by correcting her misperception. She deserved to think that her grandchild was honorable.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett