Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#98754 - 07/18/03 05:59 PM Is this a credit card billing error?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Customer says we have been charging the incorrect interest rate on the credit card account since 1997. (Whether or not this is true, and it probably is, depends on customer's other relationships with our bank - if total relationships exceed a certain level, customer receives a variable rate, if not, the rate is fixed and higher.) Does this fall under the billing error provisions of Reg Z (226.13) and require that we be notified within 60 days of the statement, or is this a contract issue, and are we required to reimburse all excess interest charged since 1997? The only description of a "billing error" that I see could fit is 226.13(5): "a computational or similar error of an accounting nature that is made by the creditor." Even if it is a billing error and subject to those rules we will in all likelihood reimburse most if not all of the interest, but I would like to know if we have any discretion as I think the calculation of the amount may not be such a simple task. Thanks!

Return to Top
Operations Compliance
#98755 - 07/18/03 06:09 PM Re: Is this a credit card billing error?
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like a contractual issue to me.

Return to Top
#98756 - 07/18/03 06:33 PM Re: Is this a credit card billing error?
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
I agree with Randy - it is a contract issue. That means that the statue of limitations will be based on requirements of state law.

Before you start re-calculating finance charges for 6 years, you might want to consult with counsel. You might be able to get out of refunding on some or all of the differences.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett