Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#994772 - 07/14/08 07:05 PM Notice to Co-signer at application
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Auditors are asking us for a copy of our "Notice to Co-signers" that would be given to co-signers at application.

We really don't do these kinds of loans...we would require they be a co-applicant.

I am being told that we have to have this notice, in the event that we take an application and they mark the additional applicant as a co-signer.

But again, we don't do these types of loans, so can we just say, sorry we don't have one?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#994779 - 07/14/08 07:07 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Many Hats
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
First, I'm not aware of a Notice to Co-signer document that is given at application. There is one that is required to be given before the co-signer signs anything making them liable for the loan.

Second, even if you call the customer a co-applicant - if they meet the definition of co-signer, per Regulation AA they are consdiered a co-signer.

Return to Top
#994787 - 07/14/08 07:08 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Skittles
Ray_ Offline
Platinum Poster
Dallas, TX
We do not utilize the separate document. Our Notice To Cosigner is on the Consumer note above the signature lines.

Return to Top
#994796 - 07/14/08 07:15 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Ray_
swiggles Offline
Power Poster
swiggles
Right, Duchess Skittles!! We were hit with violations for this from auditors. They had no trouble finding loans where the "co-borrower" was really a co-signer based on the loan purpose and collateral. Our software only produces the notice if the obligor is set up within the system as a co-signer. I had to do Reg AA training to help lenders know the difference.

Return to Top
#994800 - 07/14/08 07:16 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application swiggles
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
Obviously we are needing Reg AA training....aside from trying to read the reg myself, is there a webinar or other resource to get clarification on what they are looking for?

Return to Top
#994820 - 07/14/08 07:27 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Many Hats
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Under Federal Law there is no Notice to Co-signer at the time of application, however FL may have a statute that requires one.

As long as the notice is on your note as you described you would be in compliance with Reg. AA.

You may have to seek clarification from the auditor.

PS. Reg AA is not a bad read.

http://www.bankersonline.com/regs/227/227.html

Return to Top
#994826 - 07/14/08 07:34 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Dan Persfull
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
I was hoping you would chime in...I know I can count on you!

You will love this.....my processor sends me an e-mail just now:
"Reg B requires that we have a Notice to Cosigners notice. In which a copy of the notice is given to the cosigner to sign."

I am sorry, but am I missing the boat on something? Reg B?

Return to Top
#994847 - 07/14/08 07:45 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Many Hats
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Sigh. No, it's not Reg B (as you know.)

I sort of like Reg AA, it's fairly neat and tidy, as regs go.

Return to Top
#994966 - 07/14/08 09:04 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Many Hats
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: Many Hats
Obviously we are needing Reg AA training....aside from trying to read the reg myself, is there a webinar or other resource to get clarification on what they are looking for?

I did an "Applicants and Applications" webinar in 1/08 and covered this exact topic. You can find more info here:
http://www.bankersonline.com/bankerstore/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1103

Return to Top
#995115 - 07/15/08 02:13 AM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application Many Hats
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Are they talking about the "intent to apply" jointly rather than a "notice to co-signer"? Otherwise someone is really confused.

Return to Top
#995242 - 07/15/08 01:57 PM Re: Notice to Co-signer at application rlcarey
Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
Orlando, FL
David, thanks for the resource!

Originally Posted By: rlcarey
Are they talking about the "intent to apply" jointly rather than a "notice to co-signer"? Otherwise someone is really confused.

The processor who brought this to our attention said he was asked by an auditor for the Notice to Co-signer given at application - when it's not an application for joint credit, but for an application with one borrower and a co-signer. More than likely the auditor didn't say "at application", that was probably added by the processor.

Or notice is located on the note above the signature line. We do not have a separate notice of any kind. I think we are okay, but this has definitely uncovered the need for more training on the subject.

Thanks!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z