Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of Texas Gulf Bank
Texas Gulf Bank
Texas Gulf Bank, NAe
1717 N. Velascot Angleton, TX 77515
United States of America
Voice (979) 888-7853
Fax (979) 848-1087
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 113115484 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a mystery shopping scam.
The counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic checks, but the counterfeit items may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks contain a blue and pink background with a darker blue banner.
- The following security statement appears in the top border: “THIS CHECK IS VOID WITHOUT A BLUE & BROWN BACKGROUND AND AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK ON THE BACK—HOLD AT ANGLE TO VIEW.”
- The bank’s telephone number, (979) 849-2372, does not appear on the check.Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $2,860 and contain a remitter name of David Keenom.
Potential victims are contacted by e-mail regarding a secret shopper job opportunity with a fictitious company using the name “Sights On Service Inc.” The e-mail is written by an individual using the name Anthony Townsend and the e-mail addresses [Townsendrumblerrules454@aol.com] and [Townsenda1221@gmail.com]. Once the potential victim completes the survey that is attached to the job offer e-mail and returns it to Mr. Townsend, a counterfeit check and additional correspondence are mailed to the potential victim’s residence.
The correspondence accompanying the counterfeit check instructs the recipient to deposit the check into his or her bank account and then within 24 hours, but no longer than 48 hours, use the funds as follows:
- Purchase a $10 cashier’s check and scan a copy to the e-mail addresses listed above.
- Purchase $10 in merchandise from a specified nationally known department store chain.
- Retain $350 for commission.
- Transfer the remaining balance using a specified wire transfer service provider to a third-party individual in Guangzhou, China. The victim is then to immediately e-mail the Money Transfer Control Number and other pertinent information to the e-mail addresses listed for Mr. Townsend.