Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of First National Bank, Lenoir City, Tenn.
First National Bank
Lenoir City, TN
First National Bank
200 East Broadway Lenoir City, TN 37771
United States of America
Voice (865) 988-2114
Fax (865) 988-2118
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier’s checks using a correct routing number of 064201243 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a secret-shopper scam.
While the counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic checks, counterfeit items may be identified by several traits:
- The check contains the words “PAY TO THE ORDER OF” next to the payee line.
- The signature of Jamie Mayfield appears beneath the words “Authorized Signature” in the bottom right portion of the check.
- A padlock icon and the letters “NP” appear in the bottom right-hand corner of the check.
- On the reverse side of the check, a payee signature box appears at the top that includes this security statement: “WARNING: THE BACK OF THIS DOCUMENT CONTAINS A SIMULATED WATERMARK. HOLD AT 45° ANGLE TO VIEW.”
- A security box with a padlock icon and security statement appears in the bottom portion of the reverse side of the check.
Counterfeit checks presented to date have been made payable in the amount of $2,250 and contain a remitter name of Jinni B. Redmond.
The bank has reported that the secret-shopper scam works as follows. Potential victims are initially contacted through e-mails from Karen Scott [email@example.com]. The e-mails inform the potential victims that their secret shopper applications were reviewed and that they were selected for assignments. The e-mails explain that they will receive checks in the mail for deposit into their bank accounts. Within 24 hours of the deposits, the potential victims are to use small amounts of the money to shop at a well-known retail store and to use the majority of the money to wire transfer funds to a third party, who is supposedly another secret shopper. Correspondence accompanying the counterfeit checks contains the letterhead of “PineCone Research, 250 East 5th Street, 9th Floor, Cincinnati, OH 45202.” Once their assignments are completed, the potential victims are to send text messages with 10-digit money-transfer control numbers to (202) 688-8936.