Edgartown National Bank - Counterfeit Official Checks
Edgartown National Bank
The above-named bank has reported that two variations of counterfeit official checks using a correct routing number of 0113056854 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with various online auction scams. The counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic checks; the counterfeit checks, however, may be identified by the following traits:
- Variation #1
- The checks are light blue in color and contain a darker blue straight-edged border.
- The following security statement is located within the top border: “WARNING: THIS DOCUMENT HAS SECURITY FEATURES IN THE PAPER.”
- A padlock icon and the words “Security features” are printed along the right-hand border.
- The following security statement appears on the back of the check within a text box:
“THIS DOCUMENT INCLUDES THE FOLLOWING SECURITY FEATURES:
INVISIBLE FLUORESCENT FIBERS
ABSENCE OF THESE FEATURES MAY INDICATE ALTERATION.
PADLOCK DESIGN IS A CERTIFICATION MARK OF THE CHECK PAYMENT SYSTEMS ASSOCIATION.”
- Variation #2
- The checks are light blue in color and contain a decorative dark-blue border.
- The following security statement is located within a dark top border: “THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND HIGH RESOLUTION BORDER. THE REVERSE SIDE OF THIS DOCUMENT HAS AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK.”
Counterfeit checks presented to date are missing the bank’s telephone number of (508) 627-1100 under the bank’s logo. Checks have been made payable in varying amounts and have contained a remitter name of Matt Btiner, Ericka Williams, Terry Hutchison, or Matthew Johnson. All checks have been sent to potential victims by 2nd-day overnight mail service.