Sterling National Bank counterfeit official checks
Sterling National Bank
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit official bank checks using the bank’s routing number of 221472815 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a variety of overpayment scams involving online purchases.
There are at least three variations of counterfeit checks in circulation. While the counterfeit checks resemble the bank’s authentic items, they may be identified by the following traits:
- The checks are light blue in color with a marbled background.
- One of the following security statements appears in the top border:
- “WARNING: THIS DOCUMENT HAS SECURITY FEATURES IN THE PAPER.”
- “THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINTING. THE REVERSE SIDE INCLUDES AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK.”
- “TO VERIFY AUTHENTICITY, SEE REVERSE SIDE FOR DESCRIPTION OF THE 11 SECURITY FEATURES.”
- The reference line (“Ref”) has been left blank.
- The following coding appears beneath the payable dollar amount: “BR: 52; CDR: 15298; 343052.”
Checks presented to date have been made payable in amounts between $700 and $20,380, with the majority being under $3,000.