Counterfeit Cashier's Checks of Citizens National Bank of Texas, Waxahachie, Texas
Citizens National Bank of Texas
Voice (972) 351-5163
Fax (972) 938-4308
Alert2012-11Subject: Counterfeit Cashier's Checks
Date: March 30, 2012Description: Citizens National Bank of Texas
To: Chief Executive Officers of All National Banks and Federal Savings Associations; All State Banking Authorities; Chairman, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System; Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation; Conference of State Bank Supervisors; Deputy Comptrollers (districts); Assistant Deputy Comptrollers; District Counsels; and All Examining Personnel
The above-named bank has reported that counterfeit cashier's checks issued in the bank's name and using a correct routing number of 111901629 are being presented for payment nationwide in connection with a variety of Internet auction and employment scams.
The counterfeit items resemble the bank's authentic cashier's checks but may be identified by the following: Counterfeit items are green in color and contain a darkened top border with a security statement that reads "THIS DOCUMENT HAS A COLORED BACKGROUND AND MICROPRINITING. REVERSE SIDE INCLUDES AN ARTIFICIAL WATERMARK." Items presented to date have been made payable for varying amounts and have included the remitter name of Andy Villalpando.
For additional information and guidance and to verify the authenticity of Citizens National Bank of Texas' cashier's checks, please contact Kerri Araujo, Senior Vice President & BSA Officer, by mail at 200 N. Elm, Waxahachie, TX 75165; by telephone at (972) 351-5163; by fax at (972) 938-4308; or by e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Consumers who receive a counterfeit or fictitious item and associated material should file complaints with the following agencies, as appropriate:
- Federal Trade Commission (FTC): by telephone at (877) FTC-HELP or, for filing a complaint electronically, via the FTC's Web site at www.ftc.gov.
- Royal Canadian Mounted Police (to report Canadian scams): by telephone at (888) 495-8501 or by e-mail at email@example.com. Its Web site, www.phonebusters.com, provides additional contact telephone numbers.
- Better Business Bureau (BBB): The BBB system serves markets throughout Canada, Puerto Rico, and the United States and is the marketplace leader in advancing trust between businesses and consumers. The international Web site www.bbb.org offers contact information for local BBBs, objective reports on more than 2 million businesses, consumer scam alerts, and tips on a wide variety of topics that help consumers find trustworthy businesses and make wise purchasing decisions.
- Federal Bureau of Investigation Internet Crime Complaint Center (to report scams that may have originated via the Internet) at www.ic3.gov.
- If correspondence is received via the U.S. Postal Service, contact the U.S. Postal Inspection Service by telephone at (888) 877-7644; by mail at U.S. Postal Inspection Service, Office of Inspector General, Operations Support Group, 222 S. Riverside Plaza, Suite 1250, Chicago, IL 60606-6100; or via online complaint form at: https://postalinspectors.uspis.gov/forms/MailFraudComplaint.aspx.
Additional information concerning this matter that should be brought to the attention of the OCC may be forwarded to
For additional information regarding other types of financial fraud, please visit the OCC's anti-fraud resource at: http://www.occ.gov/fraudresources.htm.
Richard C. Stearns
Director for Enforcement and Compliance