Since we first posted a Web page with information about anthrax on 10/10 (Anthrax - Knowledge is Power), the topic has taken on increased significance and the need for quick access to solid guidance is more important than ever. The threat of contracting anthrax is still extremely remote, but there have now been sufficient incidents of contamination, including two among individuals who were neither with the media nor with the Postal Service, that individuals and businesses simply cannot ignore the need to take precautions.
Over the last month, we have seen the evolution of the medical community's understanding of how anthrax spores spread and how individuals become infected. Accordingly, we have provided new links below to provide you the latest and most comprehensive information about how to protect yourself.
There are also several new threads on Bankers' Threads about the subject, including discussions about the possibility of anthrax contamination of the money supply. You can reach those threads from these links:
- CDC Interim Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Exposure to Anthrax (Issued 10/31)
These recommendations cover four areas:
1. Engineering controls
2. Administrative controls
3. Housekeeping controls
4. Personal protective equipment for workers
While they are designed for workers who handle mail, we have reviewed them and believe they are also useful for employees handling currency.
- Information about Filtering Facepieces
- Mail Facilities/Services Updates -- allows customers to check the status of postal mail service, handling, pickup, and delivery at affected facilities.
- Information from the General Services Administration (GSA) on how to respond to an anthrax threat in a mail center.
- United States Postal Service: How we're making the public and employees safe
- Nitrile gloves (Information on the USPS site indicates they have outfitted their workers with nitrile gloves. We found at least one supplier of such gloves online. Sunflower Rubber and Plastics
- Latest info on confirmed Anthrax Cases
- FTC Alert about bogus Web sites and emails selling Ciprofloxacin (Cipro) and other antibiotics for treatment.
- FedEx Safety Tips for Customers
- OSHA's Facts About Anthrax
- UPS Safety Update
- USPS Message to Customers
- Family Guide to Bio-Terrorism Protection
Copyright, 2001, BankersOnline. All rights reserved.
First published on 11/05/2001