- Approximately 12 million CTRs are filed annually. FDIC, Supervisory Insights, June, 2004
- Major false and fraudulent statements provided to banks and other companies result in loan schemes that last about 18 months before detected, and cause a median loss of $4.25 million per scheme.CFE in 2004 American City Business Journals Inc., July 3, 2004
- The nation's top ten banks are Bank of America, Citibank, Fleet, Washington Mutual, Bank One, Wachovia, Wells Fargo, Chase, Sun Trust, and USBank.FDIC
- There was about a 400% increase in the number of ATMs in the ten years from 1993 to 2003, from 94,800 cash- dispenser-only products to 371,000 terminals.Insurance Information Institute ATM & Debit News
- The average $1 bill's lifespan is approximately 18 months. It will tolerate folding 4,000 times.Fed Res Banks, Fun Facts About Money , frb.gov
- More than 80% of American households use more than one banking channel, including branch, telephone, online, ATM, etc. TowerGroup, Annual Conference Report, May 20, 2004 www.towergroup.com
- In 1996, just 2.4 million US households had signed up for online banking. By 2003, that number hit 29.2 million. Ibid.
- "Electronic check-image exchange will reduce industry-wide operating costs by an estimated $2.1 billion annually."Small Value Payments Co. LLC Study, www.SVPCo.com, 5/20/04
- In 2001, the Federal Reserve System processed 16.91 billion checks. In 2002, it processed 16.59 billion. And in 2003, down 4.7%, to 15.81 billion.Fed data analyzed by NACHA, 5/19/04
- In 2003, there were 220 million electronic check conversions in lock boxes where payments are stored for bill payment. That was an 850% increase over 2002. Another 500% increase is predicted for 2004.Ibid.
Copyright © 2004 Bankers' Hotline. Originally appeared in Bankers' Hotline, Vol. 14, No. 4, 7/05
First published on 07/01/2005