Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#100079 - 07/23/03 09:11 PM Where are the dog lovers...
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
There is an active post for cats, I'm wondering where the one is for dogs.

I vote for (of course I have one named Major) Border Collies! Very active and very smart. My wife was tired of his dripping water after taking a drink, after a little training, he wipes his own mouth!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#100080 - 07/23/03 09:28 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Grew up with poodles (allergy reasons), had a house full of strays in college (including a beuatiful irish setter), had a Bearded Collie, and currently have a 100lb 2 year old yellow lab whose name, of course, is "Wrigley".

Return to Top
#100081 - 07/23/03 09:31 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
111 Offline
Gold Star
I'm one - with a Miniature Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel.

Dogs are wonderful companions, but it's also so very sad to see what happens to so many dogs that end up in the pound. People are so irresponsible when they do not get their dogs fixed.

Return to Top
#100082 - 07/23/03 09:33 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Last Mango Offline
Gold Star
Too Far From the Beach
See my post under "Calling All Cat Lovers!" on why I do not own a cat and never will again.

I love dogs. My wife loves cats. We compromise and have neither.

Return to Top
#100083 - 07/23/03 09:34 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I'm one - with a Miniature Schnauzer and Cocker Spaniel.

Dogs are wonderful companions, but it's also so very sad to see what happens to so many dogs that end up in the pound. People are so irresponsible when they do not get their dogs fixed.

I thought you loved pigs!!

Return to Top
#100084 - 07/23/03 09:36 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
My wife and daughter have tormented me with schnauzers and daschunds. I am not sure either is spelled right, but both of these kinds of indoor dogs were difficult to house train and insisted on sleeping in beds. Otherwise I do enjoy them.

Return to Top
#100085 - 07/23/03 09:37 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Buddy the Elf Offline
Platinum Poster
Buddy the Elf
first lily pad on the right
Quote:

My wife was tired of his dripping water after taking a drink, after a little training, he wipes his own mouth!

How'd ya do that? My dog gets more on the ground around her water dish than she actually gets in her stomach! She's a little (40 lbs.) German Shepherd/something mix. Very timid but really loving and loyal. And she is extremely patient and tolerant with our 2-year-old.

Return to Top
#100086 - 07/23/03 09:57 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I've had Boston Bulldogs since I was about 9 years old.

I've lost some over the years due to different reasons, but the hardest was about 5 years ago when I had to take Stubby to the vet and have him put down. He was 18 years old and had gotten arthritis so bad they couldn't do anything for him, plus he was also starting to lose his eyesight.

Return to Top
#100087 - 07/23/03 10:00 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
I am a HUGE dog lover! I'd volunteer to work at the pound, except I'd end up adopting them all! The big ol' sad eyes get me every time.

My hubby and I don't have any kids yet, but our black lab mix (Brewster) is happy to fill in. I think he has more personality than some people I know! We adopted him from the pound almost five years ago, and he truly is a member of the family. He even gets Christmas gifts from the grandparents!

(I can say all these glowing things now....after having survived the "chewing" years. Slippers and shoes I can understand - but remote controls, coasters, and linoleum?!? Good thing he was so darned cute...)

Return to Top
#100088 - 07/23/03 10:01 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
I have always wanted a dog that weighs more than me! So, I love the Masstif. Beautiful dogs!

Return to Top
#100089 - 07/23/03 10:13 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I posted in the cat forum also, so I hope It's okay to do both. I am a real animal lover. Three dogs (2 inside/1 out), 3 cats and a ferret (outside). My dogs are like part of the family and even fight with my kids everynow and then. I have an applehead chihuahua - black and tan and very stocky, the other is one of the funniest looking dogs you'll ever see, but also the sweetest! She wieghs 2 1/2 lbs, half chihuahua/half rat terrier. She is built like a chihuahua, big ears and eyes, black and white in color (like a cow) and no tail. Her name is Precious and we saved her from an abusive situation. My daughter sweet talked her daddy into a female for Christmas and told him she wanted one named Precious. Know way I could not take this puppy when I saw her eyes and they told me her name was Precious! As funny looking as she was, it was meant to be!

After about a year of living with us, our gate was left open and she followed our other dog (Nicky) - her hero - down the drive into the road. She was hit by a car, but miraculously lived. She was in shock and her little tiny leg was broken. Fortunately I had not left for work and rushed her to the vet. After many hours of surgery and other complications - they were able to save her leg, but she only uses it for balance when she stands still. A false socket was created at her upper hip, so her leg can move anywhich way you want it to. It sounds terrible to laugh, but watching her try to scratch her head can be a real hoot. It either doesn't get anywhere near the itchy spot or she just kinda pounds herself in the head. She's my kinda girl though, she knows how to get Nicky to scratch for her and won't let him stop until it feels better!

Her accident was over three years ago and she's doing great!
It's amazing how she adapted to her injury and how quickly she can move around. The only thing she can't do is jump up on furniture - or at least that's what she wants us to think - I've seen her do it when she didn't know I was watching - she just likes the attention

Return to Top
#100090 - 07/23/03 10:58 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
111 Offline
Gold Star

OBJECTS OF OUR AFFECTION

The object of my affection in sixth grade was a cute, freckle-faced girl named Debbie who treated me with a mixture of disinterest, scorn, and ridicule. But love at the age of 12 is pure and true, so when I acquired a dog that year, I named her Debbie. This Debbie and I had a lot in common. We loved to roam the hills around our home in eastern Pennsylvania. She was part beagle hound and poked her nose into every rabbit and groundhog hole she came across. I was always looking for fruit, berries, or nuts to eat, and I remember sharing wild grapes with her one thirsty September day.

We spent two or three years as inseparable pals, that dog and I. Until the black day when my brother told me she was dead, down by the highway, and I went down full of fear and denial, and learned that death was something real and incredibly painful.

I recount this typical story of a youngster and his dog because I'm still in awe of the depth of my affection for that animal. She was full of fun and play, she was loyal, and she loved me with wet licks and a perpetual smile on her black lips. And I loved her as only a 12-year-old can love a dog: with silly songs, and using her for a pillow when I watched TV, and wrestling together in the tall grass.

Love and affection are always healing, and surely that's why studies show that elderly persons are in better health and live longer when they have the company of pets. Loneliness debilitates, companionship rehabilitates. Many communities around the country have volunteer organizations that place pets in the care of the elderly.

Not only the elderly benefit from having pets. Pets require all of us to be faithful, to feed them on time and care for their health, and to never treat them cruelly. These requirements of love bring us out of ourselves, especially older people who may have lost their lifetime mates and threaten to sink into a closed-in, lonely despondency.

Human relationships are oftentimes complicated, murky, difficult, and stressful — as well as sublime. By contrast, our relationships with our pets are refreshingly simple, straight-forward, and direct, with no hidden agendas and no psychological quagmires. We love them; they love us. No questions asked; no questions needed.

I've read studies by animal scientists looking into whether animals feel pain the way we do. I've always been amazed that they could even ask the question. Anyone who's had a dog has seen it yelp with pain when the rocking chair goes over its tail. And not only physiological pain. Who hasn't heard the pitiful cries of a dog left in the house or on the chain when the family drives away? (Cats couldn't care less, of course, until they want affection, when they jump into your lap, arch their back for a scratch, and purr.)

These familiar pets aren't the only animals that love human contact. Before I got my dog, I'd be lonely and walk down to the local dairy farm to take an afternoon snooze with the pigs. I'd scratch their tough, hairy hides and they'd grunt happily. Those particular pigs were just as jolly as animals can be, and good feelings triumphed in that sunny, straw-strewn pigpen. Poorly-managed, stressed pigs, on the other hand, can be ornery critters — but so can human beings.

The cowboy's love affair with his horse is legendary. I tasted something of it at the dude ranch a couple of miles up a dusty dirt road when I was a kid feeding fresh grass to a sweet-eyed palomino mare I favored named Sugar.

We county kids also gained a distant acquaintance with the fey, skittish deer, and the elusive wild turkey. Occasionally we'd glimpse the fox, or — horrors! — surprise the skunk. In the almost incomprehensible freedom of the wild animals we came to know of the wildness in ourselves.

I learned that animals are not alien. We both smell the sweet pines, feel the wind, taste cool water. We can understand and include their purposes in ours. That's what ecology is about. But not vice versa.

The animals, in some ineffable way, are limited. Some say they don't have souls, but only God knows where such seeds are sown. For sure, humans have certain mental capacities that most animals don't seem to possess. We can feel the fright that they feel, but they don't know the fear and dread that comes with human knowledge. We can feel the warm affection they feel, but they can't know the sweet torment of human love. Human beings have a capacity for reflection upon the thoughts in our minds, and that makes all the difference — and all the trouble. Animals know things, but only human beings know that we know things.

This ability to reflect upon our actions brings great power but also great responsibility. To some extent, pets become what we make of them. By trying to make pets human, we can corrupt them and turn them neurotic. By beating them, we can make them mean. We must respect the animalhood of our pets, but that shouldn't alienate them from us for we share that animalhood. What's most interesting to me is that while mental capacities differ between humans and animals, we share an ability for bottomless affection.
As the poet says,

"Animal brothers, take this love from me, for I reach a world you cannot see and catch a ray of light for thee."

— Article by Jeff C. Cox

Return to Top
#100091 - 07/23/03 11:02 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
I have two dachshunds. A black and tan and a silver dapple. Our black and tan has the usual dachshund health problems with the back, but a little vitamin C each day and a ramp to their favorite chair and that is all she needs. My kids love to run up and down the ramp, but the chair is for the dogs! No one thinks the silver dapple is a dachshund due to the color, but they are so pretty.

We owned a cat once and will never own one again...unless we give into the kids requests some day.

Return to Top
#100092 - 07/23/03 11:55 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Count my among the dog lovers, even though for the first time in over 30 years I do not have a dog right now. Last September our 15 year old Cocker Spaniel Halen (as in Van Halen) had to be put to sleep. He had kidney failure, and I found out a week before he died that the end was near. I had to leave for an overnight seminar and before I left I asked him to please hang in there til I got back. My wife was 8 months pregnant with our second child and I could not imagine her dealing with that alone. He looked at me like he understood even though he was completely deaf. The day I came home he was not good and I slept on our deck with him. He seemed to want to go into the yard and go as far away from us as possible, which must be instinct for dogs because I have heard others say this as well. The next morning we had to have him put down. It breaks my heart to think of it even now. I still can not look at his picture without tearing up. I would like to get another dog, but with a 9 month old crawling on the floor, it will have to wait.

Return to Top
#100093 - 07/24/03 12:35 AM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Happy Birthday Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
When I was in University (that was in Egypt 1989) a Dog with a huge head almost Bite me one late night! Since that day ………we never get along

Return to Top
#100094 - 07/24/03 01:56 AM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
My first dog was a doberman, which I was given for my second birthday. I've been hooked ever since then. Right now, I've got a behemoth sheperd/golden retriever mix, a lhasapoo, and a sheperd boxer mix. Also, one of my cats thinks she's a dog (at least she acts like one.)

Return to Top
#100095 - 07/24/03 12:35 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i have had dogs all my life and even though i've had cats too, there is nothing like a dog to play with. i got my dog sara when i was 6... she lived to be 16... still miss her everyday. and now that my fiance and i have a house i beg every day for a dog... he won't let me near the pound... he knows i'd either take them all home or refuse to leave until i knew they'd all be okay. i will prevail... i can ask for a dog a LOT longer tha he can say no

Return to Top
#100096 - 07/24/03 12:56 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
KYAuditor Offline
100 Club
KYAuditor
Kentucky

Add me to the dog lovers too! I have grown up with dogs of different varieties all our life. Now we have twenty-something beagles. We also have a Jack Russell (a house dog) who has us very well-trained and keeps us entertained.

I like cats too, but my husband does not so we are strictly a dog family.

Return to Top
#100097 - 07/24/03 01:05 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Had an anti-social cat...got a puppy in January...anyone want a cat? I love 'em both but there's nothing like the unconditional love you get from a dog. Our German shepherd is now 7 months old and 80 pounds (he weighed 8 pounds when we got him)!!! I cannot believe how smart he is. He flew through his puppy training class (I was so proud to see him in a little graduation cap ).

Return to Top
#100098 - 07/24/03 01:46 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Wooly Bugger Offline
New Poster
Wooly Bugger
OK
My first dog was a terrier mix named Spike, after the dog on the Tom & Jerry cartoon. He was a great dog. He would eat anything that didn't eat him first, always barked when someone came to the door( he'd lick them as soon as they came inside), and would lay his head on my stomach and sleep with me when I took a nap. Now I have a Rhodesian Ridgeback. His name is Ajax(pronounced IYAX). He is a great dog, very smart and very protective. He won't attack or anything, but he will sit between me and whoever enters the room. Kids come over and pull on his ears and tail all the time without incident.

Return to Top
#100099 - 07/24/03 01:46 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Had an anti-social cat...got a puppy in January...anyone want a cat? I love 'em both but there's nothing like the unconditional love you get from a dog. Our German shepherd is now 7 months old and 80 pounds (he weighed 8 pounds when we got him)!!! I cannot believe how smart he is. He flew through his puppy training class (I was so proud to see him in a little graduation cap ).

Shepherds are incredibly smart animals. My Lab, on the other hand, was asked not to come back to obedience class until he "matured" a bit. My last dog, a Bearded Collie, did not do very well in class either, but he always won the speed races.

Return to Top
#100100 - 07/24/03 02:36 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
I am a dog lover. I have always had dogs, even though I grew up moving a lot from base to base, (military brat).
My best dog was an Irish Wolfhound named Foxy. I got her when I was 12. I had originally intended to get an Old English Sheepdog, but when I went to pick up the puppy, the woman said she only had one dog left and it didn't look anything like the mother or father so nobody wanted it. She then brought out a black and white puppy and we instantly became friends. How could I say no to those big brown eyes? She died of cancer of the spleen when she was 9.
I now have 4 dogs. Pooh is my chihuahua/shepard mix. We adopted her from the pound. Scooby Doo is a 1 year old German Shepard. If you talk to him he answers back with a series of groans and barks and loves to sing with the kids. Molly is a 8 month old daschund mix apopted from the Animal Rescue League. She was a sick puppy that nobody wanted, but my son instantly fell in love with her. We paid for her vet bills and her, then waited 1 month before we could take her home. Our last one is a Saint Bernard (my new picture). He is six months old and his name is Shaggy Hagrid (we call him Shagrid).Shagrid now weighs about 90lbs.
My sister's Saints' just had another litter. 6 beautiful puppies; they are so cute.

Return to Top
#100101 - 07/24/03 03:12 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I am probably beyond being a dog lover. My wife and I are volunteers for Dachshund Rescue (DARE - www.daretorescue.com) and for Airedale Terrier Rescue ( www.airedalerescuegroup.com ). Mrs. RGS has also started a rescue organization to take care of animals (dogs, cats, birds, lizards) who need to find homes and due to medical conditions or age may not be rescue or pound friendly.

We have 3 of our own dogs. A 3-year old Beagle, a 2-year old Airedale, and a 2-year old Dachshund mix. The girls rule the roost. We bought a king-size bed just so there would be enough room for all of them (and us) to sleep at night.

In May we went to central Kentucky to save a mama dog and her 7 puppies from a high-kill shelter. The pups were 2 weeks old and we saved them on the day they were set to be euthanized. (This animal shelter kills around 99% of the animals they take in. That is per their statistics.)

I love dogs so much that I have even missed UK basketball games in order to help dogs. (See picture and end tag to measure the severity of that statement )

Return to Top
#100102 - 07/24/03 04:04 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Dave M_TCA Offline
Platinum Poster
Dave M_TCA
Wherever my most benevolent em...
Before I was Jacob's Dad, I was Bridget's Dad. Bridget is our 6 year old Scottish Terrier. Jacob has finally surpassed Bridget for number of pictures on our website, but love for our scottie has not diminished.

Want to learn about scotties, I am the webmaster for the Scottish Terrier Club of Chicago.

Return to Top
#100103 - 07/24/03 05:31 PM Re: Where are the dog lovers...
Anonymous
Unregistered

Chihuahua/shepard mix?

(Sorry- I'm DEL but not signed in)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2