BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#100354 - 07/24/03 03:20 PM Winning Useless Knowledge
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
What is the most obscure/dumbest thing that you knew that allowed you to win a prize or contest?

A few years ago I won a $10 gift certificate to a barbecue restaurant from a local radio station. The question was "In the movie "C.H.U.D.", what did "C.H.U.D." stand for?" The 7th caller won and I was called 7 times to say "Cannibalistic Humanoid Underground Dwellers".

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#100355 - 07/24/03 03:35 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Lestie G Online

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
I knew who the drummer for the group Alabama was - and won a cheesy t-shirt as a reward.

Return to Top
#100356 - 07/24/03 03:41 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I won tickets to a movie for knowing Archie Bunker's address.

Return to Top
#100357 - 07/24/03 03:42 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Anonymous
Unregistered

When I was a kid, I went on the old Dick Allen TV talk show. They always had a trivia panel. I will never forget it because I still have the autographed program, but Joey Amalfatano and others were on the panel. I listened over and over to my Jack Brickhouse Cubs album (yes, vinyl)and I got chosen to ask a question. I asked them what the count on the batter was when Don Cardwell retired the last batter for his no-no and Moose Scowron made a beautiful catch in CF. They missed it, and guess what a boy of probably 8 or 9 years old won... a beautiful Schlitz mirror to hang in my room. And the funny thing is, there was no political correctness then and no one thought twice of giving a kid a beer mirror.

Return to Top
#100358 - 07/24/03 03:42 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Our local paper runs a weekly contest where you guess where a picture was taken. One week (out of, oh, 11 years), I knew where it was. It was a picture of the Delicate Arch in Arches National Park, except the picture was taken from the side, not the front. Got a book on goods hikes for families with kids. Great book, too.

Here's a link to a (different) picture.

[image]http://www.amwest-travel.com/awt_delicate.html[/image]

Return to Top
#100359 - 07/24/03 03:56 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Karen Williams Offline
California
I won a prize valued at $100 (that I didn't want and gave away!) for knowing the only word in the English language that ends in "mt".

Return to Top
#100360 - 07/24/03 05:06 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i won tickets to a movie for knowing who did dopeys voice in snow white... none dopey never speaks...

got bonus points on a final in college for know why the "v" symbol in england means what our middle finger does...
goes back to midevil england and france when there were archers... who use those two fingers to pull back their bows... if caught by the french they would cut off those two fingers so they could never shoot their bows again... the english would taunt the french by showing them that they still had those fingers and could still kill them... random history minor knowledge

Return to Top
#100361 - 07/24/03 06:33 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
I won a tickets to a George Thoroughgood concert on a radio station give-away. You had to name a famous George. My question is the famous George who was a member of the band "Little Feet." I did not call in, but they went for a while without a winner. I finally called in and because I did not want to admit I called into a radio contest, I used a friend Pete's name. The answer was Lowell George. My friend picked up the tickets and we went to the concert a few days later. Friends at school who were listening said, I heard you on the radio, I knew that was not Pete.

Return to Top
#100362 - 07/24/03 09:50 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Quote:

I won a prize valued at $100 (that I didn't want and gave away!) for knowing the only word in the English language that ends in "mt".

OK - you got me. what's the word?

Return to Top
#100363 - 07/24/03 10:03 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Is it dreamt?
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#100364 - 07/24/03 10:04 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I would say dreamt....

Return to Top
#100365 - 07/24/03 10:04 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Either someone edited and deleted a post in this thread, or I just "dreamt" that the answer had been given much earlier today.

Return to Top
#100366 - 07/25/03 03:04 AM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
The answer was revealed earlier in the "did you know" thread.

Return to Top
#100367 - 07/25/03 01:38 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Anonymous
Unregistered

Thank you - so I wasn't crazy

Return to Top
#100368 - 07/25/03 03:32 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Anonymous
Unregistered

OK, well I didn't have to answer any questions, but I did win 4 St. Louis Cardinals tickets from a local radio station when I was younger for being left-handed. It was National Left-handers Day(I didn't know such a day existed.) I think I had to write my name to prove it.

Return to Top
#100369 - 07/25/03 04:08 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
Strout Offline
100 Club
A beach in the USA
I won movie tickets for knowing that (at the time) the movie Flintstones had the biggest box opening weekend of any summer movie. I think this was about 5 years ago.

It does pay to be addicted to Entertainment Tonight!

Return to Top
#100370 - 07/28/03 10:05 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I won a diamond ring for repeating the worst pick up/beg for sex on a date line about 10 years ago.

I also won tickets to the WWW big event thingie (I dont' know wrestling and I haven't a clue what it was...I gave the tickets away) for knowing the words to the Brady Bunch song.

I won a TV for blowing the biggest bubble in the Bubble Yum Bubble Blowing Contest (remember those?)

I never won the lottery....

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#100371 - 07/28/03 10:20 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Quote:

I won a diamond ring for repeating the worst pick up/beg for sex on a date line about 10 years ago

Awww, com'on, you've baited the hook... are you going to leave us hanging now?!?

You have to share the line --- and your reply!

Return to Top
#100372 - 07/28/03 10:43 PM Re: Winning Useless Knowledge
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Heh heh, I was in a hurry.

Jim S. asked me out on a date. I was the new girl in town, he was the football quarterback, and frankly didn't have a brain in that pretty little head of his. But, it was Saturday and I didn't have anything else to do....

We went to a cruising (typical country thing to do) chatted it up with friends, drank a little beer (ok umm I might have been underage) and had burgers. I knew I was in trouble when I got into the car and was asked to make room for his cooler. Then when I didn't move close enough, he mentioned the door had a bad spring and would open while the car was moving. I put my seatbelt on and said I'd hold on for dear life. (MEN!) Those were bad, but after a night of the most boring conversation about HIM I'd ever had to sit though, he pulled up in front of my house and leaned over for a good night kiss.

His general idea was more than a peck on the cheek, (which I thought was quite generous) so he very seriously looked at me and said: "Dawn, you know, sex is like a candied apple. It's sitting up on the top of the shelf and your mom says, don't touch it, but you just KNOW how good it would be. Go for the apple"

To which I replied: "But Jim, the sad thing about candied apples is that once you make the effort to sneak the thing down, you take a bite out of it and find that instead of a juicy sweet treat, you have an overripe, bruised, sticky mess. It's typically just not worth the effort."

He got his peck on the cheek and I went into the house laughing. Unfortunately for Jim, I couldn't contain myself and mentioned it to a friend, who mentioned it to a friend...well eventually it ended up all over the school. Poor boy had to put up with candy apples in his locker all year, and was given one at graduation.

I on the other hand won a diamond ring Guess the line had some benefit other than just cracking me up!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top