Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#996242 - 07/16/08 01:00 AM Gas assistance
Mary Beth Guard Offline
Platinum Poster
Mary Beth Guard
Oklahoma City, OK
A banker asked us what we're hearing financial institutions (as opposed to other types of businesses) are doing for employees to help ease the pain from higher gas prices? He mentioned gas cards, but noted those would be taxable as income and would need to be reflected on a W-2. His bank has had requests for a mid-year cost of living raise.

Have you considered going to a 4 day workweek with 10 hour days?

Have you helped arrange carpools?

Have you helped familiarize employees with public transportation options?

Are you allowing any employees to telecommute part of the time?

Have you thought of a whole bunch of options that just haven't even entered my mind?

Return to Top
Human Resources
#996367 - 07/16/08 12:34 PM Re: Gas assistance Mary Beth Guard
CUCompliance Offline
CUCompliance
Central New York State
Hi Mary Beth!

My supervisor just asked me yesterday if I was interested in working 4 10-hour days if we could get that approved. The head of our department has approved it, so my supervisor is going to take it to the Management meetings we're having next week. I'm in Compliance, and there are other folks who can cover when I'm not around, but this solution won't work for every department. We'll see what happens.

Additionally, our company has already helped facilitate people who want to carpool.

Return to Top
#996522 - 07/16/08 01:58 PM Re: Gas assistance Mary Beth Guard
EKNDCR Offline
New Poster
My bank subsidizes bus passes. I buy them from HR for 1/2 the cost. The bank picks up the other half.

Return to Top
#997445 - 07/17/08 01:07 AM Re: Gas assistance EKNDCR
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
The only gas assistance that an employer ever provided me when I was working for one was an endless supply of free Gas-X in the employee medicine cabinet.

On a more serious note. In the mid-90's, US Bank in Portland use to reimburse employees for 1/2 of a monthly transit pass. If I remember right, a $40 pass got you unlimited access to both the bus and lightrail systems at that time. I hardly ever drove my car the whole time I lived there.

Return to Top
#1003637 - 07/24/08 02:22 PM Re: Gas assistance rlcarey
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
We also subsidize bus passes. As far as alternative/flexible work arrangements, it's up to the individual manager and would depend on the responsibilities of the employee. As a general rule, hourly employees are not able to work from home.

Return to Top
#1004121 - 07/24/08 07:44 PM Re: Gas assistance Princess Leia
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
It's not ever even been discussed here so far as I know. We don't have public transportation, but many of us have discussed A)riding our horses or 2)buying a scooter. Neither one are very good choices when the weather doesn't cooperate.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry