Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#101008 - 07/25/03 06:18 PM I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Ok..How should I register? If I knew nothing about politics, what would you tell me register as? Republican, Democrat, Green, Blue, Black, Whatever?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#101009 - 07/25/03 06:21 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Congratulations and welcome to our wonderful country! What will your name be when you are no longer an "Alien"?

Return to Top
#101010 - 07/25/03 06:26 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Ok..How should I register? If I knew nothing about politics, what would you tell me register as? Republican, Democrat, Green, Blue, Black, Whatever?

Congrats!!!!! As for registering, it doesn't really matter. It's just so people in Washington have some useless statistics. You don't have to vote the same way you register. Many people don't.

Return to Top
#101011 - 07/25/03 06:29 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Alien, my congratualtions also.

Asking what affiliation you should register with may generate some lively and heated debate.

I for one try to keep my politics to myself, but since you asked I'm a register Republican, but I have only voted a straight ticket once in my life.

Return to Top
#101012 - 07/25/03 06:32 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Go "undecided" or a category similar in your area. That will let you be registered. You can change to a particular party affiliation later. Just remember to do it well before an election. Changing party affiliation within so many days prior to an election can bar you from voting in that election.

Congratulations!

Return to Top
#101013 - 07/25/03 06:39 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
William Offline
Gold Star
William
In a location
Go with the winner, Go Republican! (Ok before anyone throws a rock at me, yes the Rs do have some losers.)

Anyway, Alien, you are to be commended and honored to take such an important step. Thank you and welcome in my brother (or sister, I’m not sure).

Return to Top
#101014 - 07/25/03 06:42 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Congrats, and welcome and thank you for thinking about one of the most important rights given to an american citizen. it's sad that more born americans don't understand how huge that right is. and by the way register Democrat! we're a lively bunch .

Return to Top
#101015 - 07/25/03 06:46 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Will change your name to "citizen" after? After all, you won't be an "alien" any more

Way kewl. We're privileged and honored to welcome you to the American family.

Return to Top
#101016 - 07/25/03 06:49 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
gone Offline
Platinum Poster
Congratulations!! One of my good friends became a citizen a week ago. It's a great move, and I commend your hard work and dedication.

Return to Top
#101017 - 07/25/03 06:55 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Alien, congratulations! I am glad to hear that you will soon be a citizen of the greatest country in the history of the world. As far as what to register as, it doesn't matter anymore. Really, the parties are just names. There are liberal and conservative wings in each of the major parties. You could say, I guess, that Democrats tend to lean left and Republicans tend to lean right, but that isn't always the case, either.

Return to Top
#101018 - 07/25/03 06:57 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
How about "American" as you can be what ever you want. Your freedom of choice has been hard fought for and it is now yours

Welcome fellow American

Return to Top
#101019 - 07/25/03 06:58 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Congratulations! How exciting for you! I agree with whoever said register undecided. I, myself, am registered Republican, but vote any way I want-so I do not think it matters.

Return to Top
#101020 - 07/25/03 07:02 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
EllenA Offline
Platinum Poster
EllenA
Flushing, NY
Congratulation, I'm a registered Democrat (Liberal leaning) but the only time it matters to be registered in a party is so you can vote in the primary. In my neck of the woods the Democratic primary is usually much more lively than the Republican primary

Return to Top
#101021 - 07/25/03 07:03 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Party affiliation is only important in two circumstances:
1) If your state has closed primaries.
2) If you are running for office.
If neither of these apply to you, then your party affiliation will have no impact on your ability to participate in the electoral process.

Return to Top
#101022 - 07/25/03 07:38 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Congratulations! Whatever party you register with, you can be sure they'll be looking for donations soon.

Return to Top
#101023 - 07/25/03 07:52 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
i don't think it matters what party you belong to they both want money i am a registered Democrat, have been since i was 17 and i got a letter this year requesting a donation to the national republican committee.. it included an "autographed" photo of Bush... it was shall we say a good laugh around my house... my republican uncle wants to frame it

Return to Top
#101024 - 07/25/03 08:06 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Anonymoose Offline
You will be assimilated!

Return to Top
#101025 - 07/25/03 08:11 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
NOOOOOOOOOOOO thats what my boss says too... that they will convert me... but i have a strong will!

Return to Top
#101026 - 07/25/03 08:51 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
111 Offline
Gold Star
Welcome to the planet!

Do you look like one of or any of us?

Most aliens register as Democrat, but you are a thinking, pulled yourself up by the boot strapes type alien, so Republican is the route to go.

Return to Top
#101027 - 07/25/03 08:58 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Congratulations Alien and Welcome! Not sure where you are currently residing, but if you haven't had the chance already take a trip to the Great State of Texas! That's where you will find true Southern hospitality - warning though - we do talk a little funny, or at least that's what I am told!

As far as your party of choice, that's a personal decision only you can make. But as others have previously stated, it probably won't make a differece what you chose now. When the time comes to vote, listen to and study about the different candidates and what they generally stand for and if their thoughts and values are in line with yours, that's who you should vote for. That's the beauty of our process, you have an opportunity to help select a leader or leaders that you believe in.

Return to Top
#101028 - 07/25/03 09:23 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
Alien Offline
Platinum Poster
Mexifornia
Quote:

Congratulations and welcome to our wonderful country! What will your name be when you are no longer an "Alien"?

Alien-American, just like African-American, Spanish-American and the works

By the way, thanks to all you guys and gals for those kind words
Last edited by Alien; 07/25/03 09:30 PM.

Return to Top
#101029 - 07/25/03 10:24 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
Ted Dreyer Offline
Diamond Poster
Ted Dreyer
How about "The Artist Formerly Known as Alien"?

Congratulations!

Return to Top
#101030 - 07/29/03 02:47 AM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
All the cool people register as Democrats, but vote Republican.

Ok maybe it's just me. But I feel as the only democrat in Alaska, and the only democratic banker, and the only democrat dating my conservative republican boyfriend, oh and a CRA officer (Republicans don't care about the poor ya know) that I have to maintain the registration just to have something to talk about at parties with Oil Barrons

For all I've offended, I'd say I'm sorry, but umm...well I kinda like seeing ya get all red faced so...nevermind

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#101031 - 07/29/03 10:14 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
Miss Kitty Offline
Platinum Poster
California
Congratulations!! How about "Big A" for American - you are free to do what you want, when you want and how you want. The nice part about voting is only you know how you voted. I'm Republican, but that doesn't mean I don't have a choice to vote any other way I please.

Return to Top
#101032 - 07/29/03 10:30 PM Re: I will be a US Citizen in two Weeks time!!!!!!!!!!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Alien, congrats and we are anxious to see what your new registration will be. BTW, love the new picture!!

If you have closed primaries, it matters. I have been registered as Democrat for XXX years -- doesn't mean a thing except that I live in a small town (closed primary state) and all the local elections -- like sheriff, mayor, councilman, etc. are held on the democrat ticket. Since these people have a significant impact on my community, I want to be sure to have a voice here.

I guess you could say I am a local democrat and national republican. It gets even better, my husband is registered democrat and he's an officer with the local republican committee !!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2