BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1010245 - 08/01/08 06:00 PM Stoopid ACAMS
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
OK, so me and my co-worker's CAMS study materials never showed up, so I emailed my rep on Monday asking where our materials are and if he could check in to it.

No reply.

So today I called ACAMS directly.

First call, someone put me on hold. After five minutes, I realized they hung up on me instead of putting me on hold. Nice one.

Second call, someone transfers my call...to an empty voicemail box! So I hung up.

Third call, I tell the person who answers about my first two calls. She transfers me and it rings and I get a voicemail box again. At least this time it had a person's name, so I left a message.

Isn't there another company that offers an AML certification? What was its name??? Because the customer service at ACAMS is ::thumbs down emoticon::

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1010275 - 08/01/08 06:16 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Dip
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
Ditto your comments. I signed up earlier this year and my exam stuff never came. I called and they said, you never paid the invoice we sent for the exam fees. I had never received an invoice. They mailed it to me and it had "fifth request" marked across it. I finally got my log in for the online training, but have not yet seen any exam prep book or materials.

Two thumbs down from me as well.

I just received a flyer from the ICBA for a three day conference in San Antonio in November they will be giving certification exams there as well - Certified BSA/AML Professional (CBAP). Their website is [url=www.icba.org]http://www.icba.org[/url] you can e-mail them at Education@icba.org. If I didn't have so much money wrapped up in ACAMS, I would consider this.

Return to Top
#1010283 - 08/01/08 06:18 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS thomasj
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
This is really good to know. The state examiner who did my BSA review was really pushing ACAMS. I don't have time to deal with people like that though.

Return to Top
#1010288 - 08/01/08 06:21 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS opsoff
A_G Offline
10K Club
Our BSA officer is also an attorney. She never gets any flack from the examiners.

Ever.

Return to Top
#1010300 - 08/01/08 06:27 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS A_G
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Dustin Diamond
Our BSA officer is also an attorney. She never gets any flack from the examiners. Ever.

Is that because she's an attorney?

Return to Top
#1010302 - 08/01/08 06:28 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS buggs
A_G Offline
10K Club
idk.

i was just suggesting law school as an alternative to a certification since everyone is having all these problems with the company

Return to Top
#1010304 - 08/01/08 06:30 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS A_G
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
BSA is bad enough, I certainly don't want to go through law school.

Return to Top
#1010353 - 08/01/08 06:50 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS A_G
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Dustin Diamond
idk.

i was just suggesting law school as an alternative to a certification since everyone is having all these problems with the company

When regulators ask about me getting ACAMS or similar certification, I always tell them I'm a bar certified attorney at law. This trumps any other specific certification out there, imho...

Return to Top
#1010354 - 08/01/08 06:50 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS opsoff
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
My boss is making us get certified. We paid our invoice up front because it included our membership, exam fee, online prep, and sutdy materials. I got my new member packet and the log-in for the online study prep, but no study book!

I hope someone from ACAMS reads this...

Return to Top
#1010404 - 08/01/08 07:00 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Dip
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Dip
My boss is making us get certified.

You mean he didn't check your state records first to see that you already are?

Return to Top
#1010434 - 08/01/08 07:07 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS #Just Jay
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Wow Jay, you are on a ROLL today! Keep up the wit!

Return to Top
#1010438 - 08/01/08 07:09 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Dip
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Anything for you boney bum cheeks!

Return to Top
#1010463 - 08/01/08 07:19 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS #Just Jay
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Before your employer invested this money in you, did you share with them that you were considering leaving them to become a shampoo girl?

Just wonderin'

Return to Top
#1010473 - 08/01/08 07:28 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS #Just Jay
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
Missed your midterms and flunked shampoo...

Return to Top
#1010505 - 08/01/08 07:58 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Bailey.
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I just called to see where my study materials are: "um, yea the books were on back order and then we switched fulfillment companies and there has been a real problem getting that stuff out. It will probably be another week or so..."

Absolutely horrendous customer service. At one time this was a very respected organization and certification, I hope that their customer service will not spoil the reputation and compromise the legitimacy of the certification.

Return to Top
#1010509 - 08/01/08 08:01 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS thomasj
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Interesting Thomas....how did you get someone on the line to answer you?! Psh, I still haven't received a return call from my voicemail this morning.

Well, I guess I will check in again when I'm back from vacation if my stuff hasn't shown up.

Return to Top
#1010528 - 08/01/08 08:09 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Dip
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Interesting Thomas....how did you get someone on the line to answer you?! Psh, I still haven't received a return call from my voicemail this morning.

Well, I guess I will check in again when I'm back from vacation if my stuff hasn't shown up.

Vacation?!?!? I'm starting to feel cheated. I've taken 3 days so far this year.

Return to Top
#1010530 - 08/01/08 08:10 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS Dip
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Maybe you're all having problems because ACAMS also spells A SCAM.

Return to Top
#1010533 - 08/01/08 08:11 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS FBH
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: FBHW
hen regulators ask about me getting ACAMS or similar certification, I always tell them I'm a bar certified attorney at law.

Let's see, that would make you a BCAAL. Right? Sounds kinda like what a chicken would say.

Return to Top
#1010541 - 08/01/08 08:18 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS buggs
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Originally Posted By: FBHW
hen regulators ask about me getting ACAMS or similar certification, I always tell them I'm a bar certified attorney at law.

Let's see, that would make you a BCAAL. Right? Sounds kinda like what a chicken would say.

We prefer ESQ....

Return to Top
#1010552 - 08/01/08 08:33 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS FBH
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: FBH

Vacation?!?!? I'm starting to feel cheated. I've taken 3 days so far this year.

Same here...a day to move, a day to go to Disneyland, and my bday. Next week counts as my mandatory 5 conseq days off.

Return to Top
#1010553 - 08/01/08 08:34 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS FBH
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
I guess I have trouble seeing the connection between being an attorney and a BSA/AML expert. Judging by some of the advice that my bank has received in regards to BSA/AML from attorneys I can't see it. Senior management sought advice from outside council regarding a situation and were advised that a SAR filing was not necessary when it was quite obvious that it was. Their argument for not filing was so flawed and from left field that it was obvious that they did not have a clue.

Return to Top
#1010557 - 08/01/08 08:37 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS thomasj
A_G Offline
10K Club
I think there is an obvious connection between being an attorney and anything compliance related. The Regulations from from statutes and acts, hence law.

Return to Top
#1010589 - 08/01/08 08:58 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS thomasj
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: thomasj
I guess I have trouble seeing the connection between being an attorney and a BSA/AML expert. Judging by some of the advice that my bank has received in regards to BSA/AML from attorneys I can't see it. Senior management sought advice from outside council regarding a situation and were advised that a SAR filing was not necessary when it was quite obvious that it was. Their argument for not filing was so flawed and from left field that it was obvious that they did not have a clue.

I agree, thomasj, we have received many wrong answers from attorneys regarding banking law. I would imagine many BOLers could cite stories of attorneys asking or telling bankers things that are against banking rules. I have found that just because someone is an attorney does not mean that they know banking (and to be fair - vice versa)

Return to Top
#1010608 - 08/01/08 09:20 PM Re: Stoopid ACAMS A_G
DebL Offline
Gold Star
CA
I got my ACAMS certification in early December. The week after I passed the exam, I got a lovely email congratulating me and telling me I'd receive my certificate in about 5 days. It took multiple phone calls, emails & about 4 months to finally get my certificate.

Although I must say that up until then, the customer service had been fine.

Return to Top