Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
Thread Options
#1015728 - 08/08/08 02:10 PM The Olympics are here...
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Let's hope the Americans have a kick-ass showing. Louisiana has 20 people participating in the Olympics this year, the most ever from our little ol' state.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1015735 - 08/08/08 02:16 PM Re: The Olympics are here... HappyGilmore
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
USA! USA! USA! USA! USA! USA!

Return to Top
#1015746 - 08/08/08 02:30 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
::waves flag::

Return to Top
#1015783 - 08/08/08 02:55 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Miscuit
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Looking forward to it!!

Return to Top
#1015826 - 08/08/08 03:11 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: flank steak

I agree, however, I also love to root for the smaller nations as well. Or for nations that have contenders in a sport that you think "NO FREAKING WAY!". (i.e. Jamaican Bobsled Team).

More than anything, I love the stories of courage and determination that come out of the Olympics. I was so excited when Keri Strug secured the gold medal for the US on a bad ankle in 96 games.

Return to Top
#1015830 - 08/08/08 03:12 PM Re: The Olympics are here... E.E.G.B
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
I can't wait!! My oldest son is coming over tonight for an opening ceremony party with me. We have watched the Olympics together each time and we are both fans of the opening and closing ceremonies.

Return to Top
#1015833 - 08/08/08 03:13 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison

Return to Top
#1015870 - 08/08/08 03:29 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Rumor has it one of the MODs on this board was at the first Olympics, in Ancient Greece...

Return to Top
#1015879 - 08/08/08 03:34 PM Re: The Olympics are here... HappyGilmore
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I've always enjoyed the Winter Olympics more than the Summer, but this year I find myself not interested at all in these games. I may watch, but I may not.

Return to Top
#1015898 - 08/08/08 03:44 PM Re: The Olympics are here... buggs
Pepper's Sister Offline
Platinum Poster
Pepper's Sister
Midwest
I make every effort to watch as much as of the games (winter or summer) as I can. All of the athletes (US or otherwise) put in so much time, dedication, determination and commitment (as do their families) to their chosen field, that I figure the least I can do is watch.....and be in awe.

I can't run 26 miles
I can't hurdle....anything
I can't pole vault
I can't dive
I can't tumble and jump around on a beam
I can't skate and spin
I can't ski (or ski jump)
I can't luge

but I admire them for their dedication and hard work....so I watch. And learn the joy of perseverence.

Return to Top
#1015905 - 08/08/08 03:48 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Pepper's Sister
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I usually make it a point to record the equestrian sports (they are always aired at off-peak times) but am undecided about this year. There's been so much upheaval in our sports to begin with and uproar over the conditions of the facility there that I'm having a hard time getting very excited about it. My particular sport (eventing) has been all but gutted by the IOC (and the FEI) to make it more spectator friendly and accessible to smaller nations, and the resulting effects on the participants has been downright dangerous.

Return to Top
#1015926 - 08/08/08 04:01 PM Re: The Olympics are here... HappyGilmore
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
Rumor has it one of the MODs on this board was at the first Olympics, in Ancient Greece...

Return to Top
#1016003 - 08/08/08 04:48 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Pepper's Sister
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: Pepper's Sister
I make every effort to watch as much as of the games (winter or summer) as I can. All of the athletes (US or otherwise) put in so much time, dedication, determination and commitment (as do their families) to their chosen field, that I figure the least I can do is watch.....and be in awe.

I can't run 26 miles
I can't hurdle....anything
I can't pole vault
I can't dive
I can't tumble and jump around on a beam
I can't skate and spin
I can't ski (or ski jump)
I can't luge

but I admire them for their dedication and hard work....so I watch. And learn the joy of perseverence.

I totally agree, PS. I feel the same way - I am in awe of their abilities and talents - all of which I wouldn't have a prayer in the world of tackling. But I can admire their athleticism and dedication and that can be amazing to watch.

I am also in the same frame of mind as BF. I love to hear the human interest stories that always arise. I'm not as interested in the "bragging" stories where they just tout someone as the greatest athlete in the world but I am more interested in hearing about the runner from the unheard of country struggling and perservering.

I don't really like it when it turns into a medal counting event but rather watching the human stories of strength and determination.

I really love watching the opening and closing ceremonies as I love to watch the excited and awe-filled faces of the athletes - they just seem so happy and thrilled to be there. I can't even imagine what it would be like to be determined to be the number one in the world at anything - it must be awesome!!

Return to Top
#1016146 - 08/08/08 06:26 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Mocha's Mom
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Mocha's Mom
I am in awe of their abilities and talents - all of which I wouldn't have a prayer in the world of tackling.

I must be jaded or strange (or both), but I am not in awe of their abilities. It takes hard work to get where they are. If I'm in awe of anything it would probably be how dedicated and committed these athletes are to their training to get to the level they have achieved.

I'm not [dinging] your opinion, Mom. Just expressing mine.

Return to Top
#1016155 - 08/08/08 06:32 PM Re: The Olympics are here... buggs
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
The story of the runner who is carrying the US flag in the opening ceremony is awesome. He was one of the 'Lost Boys' of the Sudan. Eight years ago, he did not know what the Olympics was. He became a citizen about a year ago. The whole story was on cnn.com.

Now, that's an inspiration!

Return to Top
#1016201 - 08/08/08 07:15 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison

Return to Top
#1016202 - 08/08/08 07:16 PM Re: The Olympics are here... kitten
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
::waves flag::

Return to Top
#1016216 - 08/08/08 07:27 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Miscuit
Peepers Offline
10K Club
you freak!

Return to Top
#1016227 - 08/08/08 07:41 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Peepers
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
^^^^^ freakier

Return to Top
#1016277 - 08/08/08 08:39 PM Re: The Olympics are here... buggs
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
Originally Posted By: Mocha's Mom
I am in awe of their abilities and talents - all of which I wouldn't have a prayer in the world of tackling.

I must be jaded or strange (or both), but I am not in awe of their abilities. It takes hard work to get where they are. If I'm in awe of anything it would probably be how dedicated and committed these athletes are to their training to get to the level they have achieved.

I'm not [dinging] your opinion, Mom. Just expressing mine.

Don't worry, Bugs. That's what makes the world interesting is differing views and opinions. I don't get insulted if others don't agree with me - life is too short to spend it insulted and irritated.

But my sense of awe does come from the fact of how hard they have to work to attain their level of achievement - I feel the same sense of awe at a musical virtuoso or a talented artist. It's not in the sense of being star struck or envious, it's a matter of appreciating someone else's talent and recognizing that I don't possess that particular talent - just appreciating when someone else can excel that well at something that is not attainable by the general population. Perhaps awe is a misleading way to word it.

Return to Top
#1016291 - 08/08/08 08:50 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Mocha's Mom
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Mocha - I'm only in awe of myself

but seriously, they are amazing athletes, but with proper training and coaching have taken that extra step, that, when coupled with their drive and dedication, makes them the best. Want to watch a really good one? Watch Taylor Phinney in the cycling pursuit. 17 years old, parents were both professional bike racers, started competitive cycling at 16 (that is 1 year ago) and is already the world champion in pursuit...talk about a "holy craap" moment...

Return to Top
#1016309 - 08/08/08 09:06 PM Re: The Olympics are here... HappyGilmore
Mocha's Mom Offline
Platinum Poster
Mocha's Mom
Western MA
"Mocha - I'm only in awe of myself"

Happy, I fully expected someone to make that comment!!

Thanks for the tip about the cyclist - to me that is the best part is seeing the truly inspiring stories come to life. Think of it - these are people that we never knew existed doing amazing things and we are lucky enough to witness it. That's what I love about the Olympics!

Return to Top
#1016312 - 08/08/08 09:07 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Mocha's Mom
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Did competitive eating make it in as an event this year?

Joey Chestnut is my hero.

Return to Top
#1016333 - 08/08/08 09:19 PM Re: The Olympics are here... Peepers
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
I've come to the conclusion that the following aren't "sports" since they aren't in the Olympics:

NASCAR
Golf
American Football

These are various forms of entertainment, but they can no longer be classified a sport. Hey, don't blame me, blame the Olympics. After all, the Olympics are all about sports...

Return to Top
#1016345 - 08/08/08 09:35 PM Re: The Olympics are here... HappyGilmore
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I thought they were the Olympic games.

Like:

Connect Four
Monopoly
Table Tennis
Soccer

And other lame 'events'.

(seriously though, they're great athletes, I just don't get into the Olympics, but this years' games make me crave Chinese food)

Return to Top
Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14