Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1014703 - 08/07/08 03:30 PM Dormant account review
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
It's getting to be that escheatment time of year again. I just got my letter from the Treasurer's Office yesterday.

I did a quick scan of accounts that qualify and came across some IOLTA accounts that have been dormant for the requisite 5 years now. I don't recall coming up against these previously, so I thought I'd ask if any one else has.

Do we escheat IOLTA accounts once we've completed the due diligence on them or are they handled differently?

Return to Top
#1020050 - 08/14/08 03:20 PM Re: Dormant account review tpowers4
Michelle B. Offline
New Poster
Illinois
I wouldn't think the escheatment requirements would be any different, however, your due diligence might be a little trickier. My understanding of an IOLTA account is that the "principal" funds belong to the CLIENTS, not the lawyer and the Lawyer's Trust Fund is only entitled to the interest (which your institution should have remitted monthly).

Since you probably do not have the detail as to who the clients are, I would guess that you would have to send your due diligence letter to the lawyer. Perhaps you should also copy the Lawyer's Trust Fund?? Not sure. Maybe http://www.treasurer.il.gov/programs/cash-dash/holders-of-property.aspx or http://www.ltf.org would help.

Return to Top
#1022441 - 08/18/08 09:20 PM Re: Dormant account review Michelle B.
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
Thanks but a reading of the law doesn't provide any detail for this situation.

Return to Top
#1022521 - 08/19/08 12:05 AM Re: Dormant account review tpowers4
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
It would appear it is the lawyer's responsibility to remit unclaimed funds to the State.

http://www.iardc.org/clienttrusthandbook_toc.html

However, in this case, it would appear that the lawyer has disappeared.

I would follow Michelle's advice and call the LTF:

Lawyers Trust Fund, Terri L. Smith, Director of Banking/MIS at 800.624.8962 or 312.938.3001.

Return to Top
#1022729 - 08/19/08 02:13 PM Re: Dormant account review rlcarey
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
Left a message with them yesterday. Thanks Randy and Michelle. I let you know what they say.

Return to Top
#1024267 - 08/20/08 06:32 PM Re: Dormant account review tpowers4
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
FYI ... Per Terri Smith at LTF, these are handled just like any other dormant accounts and escheated to the state in the name of the attorney (after due diligence, of course) when the time is right.

Return to Top