Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1073762 - 10/30/08 05:44 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? KTMiteComply
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Hey my friends...well I'm back to them prayer requests. I almost had to go and get my daughter this week! She is miserable! Doing so wonderful in her classes and loves her classes...but she and her roomie, which is somebody she has known all of her life, had a huge falling out. Now...I know how difficult my daughter can be so I know there are 2 sides to every story but I guess where the line has been drawn here for both of us is b/c the roommate has asked (more like demanded) that my daughter do her homework for her, which she has refused, and then asked her to uncover her paper twice in class so she could cheat, which she also refused. Now the roomie is mad and started talking about my daughter over the phone to her boyfriend while she was in the room about how much she hated her and how she never helped her or anything and making fun of her b/c she doesn't have any friends. That hurt my daughter so bad!!!! She packed up her stuff, told her off and left....went to sleep in her CAR of all things that night! Thank God I found her a place to stay for at least that night!!!!

My daughter doesn't make friends real easy b/c she is so shy...but is making some progress at the BCM that she is going too. It just takes her a little longer than others. It is such a touchy situation b/c the roomie's parents and I have been friends and around each other all of our lives. Not the "closest" of friends, but good friends. Of course more than anything my child is the utmost importance to me and I will do anything I need to for her...but it is important if you can get around it to not burn any bridges.

My daughter went back last night and tried to talk to the roomie this morning about how cheating wasn't acceptable and her response was "big deal"!!! My daughter is so upset and said this is the most awful experience...I thought college was supposed to be fun!

Please pray for my sweet baby and for us some wisdom and guidance on how to handle all of this! Thanks ever so much!!!

Return to Top
#1073780 - 10/30/08 05:57 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? KTMiteComply
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I guess it just goes to show that you really never know someone until you live with them. I'm sorry your daughter is going through this. Is she in the dorms? I would have her talk to her RA or the housing department and see if there is an opening in another room. This kind of thing happens all the time and there should be options for her on campus. Hang in there!

Return to Top
#1073791 - 10/30/08 06:08 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? RR Sarah
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
sorry to hear this KT. if your daughter is anything like you, she'll get thru this and be better for it.

Return to Top
#1073809 - 10/30/08 06:18 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? kitten
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Ditto Sarah's suggestion to speak with an RA.

I know how much it hurts when a friendship is broken, but your daughter should feel good about standing up to the roommate and not allowing her to cheat. Hopefully living apart from each other will allow them to repair the damage in time; and maybe if your daughter gets a new roommate she can make a new friend

Return to Top
#1073831 - 10/30/08 06:32 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? Becka Marr
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Kaytee - where our sons have gone, they actually advise NOT to room with someone you know from high school for reasons such as this. They often turn out badly.

I hope it all works out for the best for all of you.

Return to Top
#1073927 - 10/30/08 07:55 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? Snow Bunny
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Remember - that which doesn't kill us makes us stronger. It sounds like your daughter has a great head on her shoulders, but unfortunately she is learning about life and how 'friends' can be. Stand strong with her and she will get through this. Can she switch roommates for the next semester?

Return to Top
#1073945 - 10/30/08 08:04 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? Skittles
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Thank you all so much for your input and kind words! You know Duchess...I just got through quoting those same words to her as well! I hope to be able to get her a change after the Holiday break. I guess we just have to make it through a few more weeks and we are finished for the semester. One of my friends here at work told her that since she was going to be a Homicide Detective and Negotiator that she should consider this her first "negotiating" case...learn how to communicate AND negotiate with somebody! It is a very important tool in life!!!! I should have followed my gut and insisted not rooming with somebody she knew!!! But she was horrified with rooming with somebody she didn't know, so she said she would take the lesser of two evils...yea right...guess she's rethinking that strategy! LOL!!!

Thanks again everybody for letting me vent again...you guys are as always the best!

Return to Top
#1073964 - 10/30/08 08:17 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? KTMiteComply
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
No problem with the venting. We all need to. This is probably an excellent life lesson for her.

Return to Top
#1073975 - 10/30/08 08:24 PM Re: Prayers for the "College" mom? Skittles
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
And for Mom also. It is so hard when your kids are hurt and we so want to 'fix' it for them but as you are learning, they grow when they have to deal with the situation themselves. Not to say we mom's don't step in when it might be dangerous etc but one of the best lessions I learned in letting go was when my bipolar son moved all the way out west and had to deal with his condition and life without me there.

Warm thoughts and {{hugs}} your way for sure!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett