Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1025077 - 08/21/08 04:12 PM Employee Account - Issue?
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
At one of the branches the employees got together and created a sort of vending machine. They buy snacks for the breakroom and leave a cash box out to pay for them, then they take the money and buy more snacks. Two emplyees opened a joint account to hold the funds, one of them is a teller. A lot of the cash deposits are run through her drawer, but it looks like the slips are filled out by the other employee on the account.

Would you consider the cash deposits run by one of the account signers as an issue?

Thanks

Return to Top
Audit
#1025483 - 08/21/08 07:14 PM Re: Employee Account - Issue? Reed
kendrar Offline
Gold Star
In our procedures it is set forth that a teller is not to handle the transactions of their own or their friends and family. I am not certain what the policy of other institutions but this is our practice.

Thanks,

Kendra

Return to Top
#1025557 - 08/21/08 08:19 PM Re: Employee Account - Issue? kendrar
CULady Offline
Gold Star
WA
Ditto for our institution. If a teller is on the account or closely related to a person on the account, they are not to do any transaction on that account. Period. If they did, it would be grounds for firing.
Hope that helps.
-K

Return to Top
#1026034 - 08/22/08 02:43 PM Re: Employee Account - Issue? CULady
Midnight Offline
Midnight
Upper Mid West
Spin, I came across a similar situation recently. A branch employee would buy goodies for their co-workers and payback to the employee was done by keying in transfers on the system (no cash involved). Since it was the entire branch doing this there was no way anyone could process the transactions that didn't have an interest in the money. I spoke directly with the branch manager educating her on how inappropriate this was and directing her to talk with her staff and have the activity stop immediatley. I also brought it to the attention of our HR director. This seemed to work and it also brought a new awareness to the employees.

Return to Top
#1026835 - 08/23/08 08:28 PM Re: Employee Account - Issue? CULady
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: TheJane
If they did, it would be grounds for firing.
Hope that helps.
-K

Spin, I'm not saying "The Jane" is advocating it, but please don't fire an employee over this. Yes, they need to have a teller other than the one who is a signer transact the deposits, but I guarantee you they didn't think of this as "their" money. Just ask them to correct the practice.

Return to Top
#1027015 - 08/25/08 12:54 PM Re: Employee Account - Issue? Jokerman
Reed Offline
Diamond Poster
Reed
West Coast
Thanks, J. I wasn't going to take it to that level. I just wasn't sure if it was worth bringing up because it doesn't look like this person is acutally making the deposits, the other signer is, they are just running them and are a back up on the account. I think I will, though, just too keep things clean.

Thanks

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z