Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#1024021 - 08/20/08 04:10 PM Unclaimed property
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
I am working on unclaimed property question, which state rules our actions, the state where the bank is located or the state where the depositer lives?

If I have branches in 2 or 3 states, do I follow the rules for the state where the bank is headquartered or the state where the account was opened?

Thanks,

Return to Top
General Discussion
#1024214 - 08/20/08 06:02 PM Re: Unclaimed property SMQ, CRCM
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Ugh...we have branches in 2 states. The last I was aware, we remit to each state depending on branch location of property.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1024318 - 08/20/08 06:54 PM Re: Unclaimed property RR Joker
HR Banker Offline
Diamond Poster
All our offices are in the same state. We follow rules based on the state where the customer lived at the time we lost contact.

Return to Top
#1024344 - 08/20/08 07:10 PM Re: Unclaimed property HR Banker
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
SMQ - What about option 3 - the state where the customer is domiciled.

IMHO you should be checking the state abandoned property laws of where the customer is domiciled. I was working for a large regional bank and one of the compliance people spent several months of research and finally started seperating the accounts by domicile. Although we were in 3 states, we were submitting to 46 different ones.

Return to Top
#1024448 - 08/20/08 08:01 PM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I stand corrected, I believe I do remember state of domicile to be correct...I want to think there is a thread around here somewhere which goes into detail on this subject...I think I'll try and dig it up.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1024516 - 08/20/08 08:53 PM Re: Unclaimed property RR Joker
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
We use the laws of the state where the property is held. We started doing this when we began to get a lot of snow birds. They are retired and spend half the year South and the other half North. Either address could be valid and they frequently own both domiciles. The other example we had frequently was military personnel, especially officers. They will have addresses at their duty stations but pay taxes and own property in their home state.

Finally, the unclaimed property law in Illinois does not offer specific guidance on this, so our attorneys felt it better err on the side of caution. We know where we're located, we don't know where the customer is, and the customer knows where we are.
Last edited by tpowers4; 08/20/08 08:57 PM.

Return to Top
#1024543 - 08/20/08 09:23 PM Re: Unclaimed property tpowers4
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
OK, found something.

"Every state and US territory requires holders of unclaimed or abandoned property to eschete or turn over the property of its residents after a prescribed period of time. . . .

You must eschete unclaimed property to the State of the owner's last known address as shown by your records, and you must follow the rules of that state. You cannot eschete only to the State where the account is held, or or where the holder is domiciled.

If the owner's last known address is not known by the records of the holder, or outside the United States, eschetement to the State where the holder is domiciled."

Return to Top
#1024638 - 08/21/08 12:48 AM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
SB - After researching innumerable State escheat laws, I think you summed it up nicely.

Return to Top
#1024691 - 08/21/08 03:16 AM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Originally Posted By: Southern Banker
OK, found something.

"Every state and US territory requires holders of unclaimed or abandoned property to eschete or turn over the property of its residents after a prescribed period of time. . . .

You must eschete unclaimed property to the State of the owner's last known address as shown by your records, and you must follow the rules of that state. You cannot eschete only to the State where the account is held, or or where the holder is domiciled.

If the owner's last known address is not known by the records of the holder, or outside the United States, eschetement to the State where the holder is domiciled."

What is it that you are quoting from?

Return to Top
#1024709 - 08/21/08 12:02 PM Re: Unclaimed property califgirl
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
Randy, thanks I'd like to take credit, but the source was research work by Kirchman.

One of the reference guides they have is an Eschetement Quick Reference Guide for the 50 states, defines the time, report dates, property to be escheted and definition of dormancy.
Last edited by Southern Banker; 08/21/08 02:16 PM.

Return to Top
#1025081 - 08/21/08 04:14 PM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
Thanks!

We are located in CA but we have depositors from far and wide. We haven't had any issues yet, but we will eventually.

Return to Top
#1025492 - 08/21/08 07:19 PM Re: Unclaimed property califgirl
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
California was actually the first state to sue for eschetement from accounts domiciled in other states back in the mid 1990's. Before then, everything was escheted to the state where the bank was located.

Return to Top
#1025650 - 08/21/08 09:35 PM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
tpowers4 Offline
100 Club
St. Louis
Wow, thanks for the work on that research SB. I wish I were happier to have the news. It just makes the job harder when we're dealing with snowbirds and their nomadic ways.

Return to Top
#1026782 - 08/23/08 02:24 PM Re: Unclaimed property tpowers4
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Wow, thanks, I think. You guys are great! Southern, was that info in the BOB? Looks like my job just got harder, again.

Return to Top
#1026814 - 08/23/08 05:58 PM Re: Unclaimed property SMQ, CRCM
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
No, it was part of a series of individual guides that they have. The link is

Kirchman's guides

Return to Top
#1026823 - 08/23/08 07:03 PM Re: Unclaimed property Rocky P
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Your research is correct. The state where the person was last know to be before you lost contact is the law that governs. I understand some states have set up reciprocal agreements where they will collect for each other and exchange property. In other words, if you operate in State A, and your customer lives in State B, State A may allow you send it property for someone who lives in State B.

I think this is right, but I'm not 100% sure so you should talk to your host state unclaimed property department to find out more.

Return to Top