Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#102622 - 08/01/03 12:52 PM Can we charge NSF fees against account??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Has anyone run across this scenario...
Over a period of time a bank employee has refunded nsf fees on account owned by her and her mother. Really it's her mother's account but employee is a signer as well. We know her mother receives a SS check each month. Could we now go back and charge this account for those nsf fees ($500)?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#102623 - 08/01/03 01:01 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
complylady Offline
Platinum Poster
complylady
Michigan
I say no, however I would terminate the employee. You probably have internal control that would prohibit someone waiving fees on an account of their own, family member, or close friend.

Return to Top
#102624 - 08/01/03 01:09 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
Anonymous
Unregistered

Clarification:
Mother is owner of the account to which bank is considering charging and daughter (recently dismissed employee) is an authorized signer. Any help would be appreciated!

Return to Top
#102625 - 08/01/03 01:14 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
complylady Offline
Platinum Poster
complylady
Michigan
I still do not think you can now impose this liability on the mother. If she had waived these fees on an account she was not a signer on you could not now go back. I would ask legal for an opinion.

Return to Top
#102626 - 08/01/03 01:34 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Depending on the cost of counsel, you could easily run up more than this amount in their costs. I wouldn't go back and impose the fees blanketly. You'd have have to look at each instance and see why the fees were imposed to ensure it wasn't a truly refundable fee. Again, that research may be costly.

I'd likely blow this off as a lesson learned, firm up your internal controls and be glad you didn't lose more.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#102627 - 08/01/03 03:16 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
Anonymous
Unregistered

I think you're right. Costs could run up and it would be time consuming for the amount of money recovered. Thanks

Return to Top
#102628 - 08/01/03 04:38 PM Re: Can we charge NSF fees against account??
Banknote Offline
Kentucky
I agree with everyone else too. I would not go back and charge the fees. I'm surprised no one had noticed this reviewing the NSF refunds.

Return to Top