Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1029107 - 08/27/08 04:17 PM Would you return this money?
buggs Offline
Power Poster
A Michigan woman accidentally sold a DVD with $1,200 tucked inside the case at her garage sale — for only $10. Tracy Holmes of Belleville, Mich., thought she was clearing away clutter and making a few bucks doing it when she sold three DVDs for $10, according to The Ann Arbor News. But when her husband Fred asked her later where the "Sin City" DVD was — he'd secretly been stashing money he was saving in the movie jacket to the tune of at least $1,200 — Holmes' stomach dropped. She realized the buyer had hit the jackpot.

Article @ FoxNews.com

I would feel guilty to keep it and would return it to owner (after I asked a couple of questions to make sure the DVD was actually theirs). If they had purchased it from a thrift store without looking inside, I'd try to find out where they bought it and go back to the store to see if anyone asked about it there.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1029108 - 08/27/08 04:18 PM Re: Would you return this money? buggs
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
yes without a doubt

Return to Top
#1029123 - 08/27/08 04:27 PM Re: Would you return this money? kms
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there
Nah, I'd keep it...

Return to Top
#1029130 - 08/27/08 04:31 PM Re: Would you return this money? Clown Boy
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
in a DVD?!?!!?

that would be quite a wad of bills, unless one of them was a $1,000

those bills must have sprung out like on a spring when the case was opened!

like opening a can of those spring worms,.......

Return to Top
#1029134 - 08/27/08 04:34 PM Re: Would you return this money? Clown Boy
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Assuming that I knew where the house was that had the garage sale and could get back to it, I would return it. But I remember stopping at a lot of garage sales in unfamiliar neighborhoods or places I was just visiting and would have no idea how to find it again if I discovered something later that needed to be returned.

Return to Top
#1029139 - 08/27/08 04:37 PM Re: Would you return this money? Becka Marr
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
Nope, I'd keep it. One man's junk is now my treasure!! buwhwhahahahha

Return to Top
#1029159 - 08/27/08 04:57 PM Re: Would you return this money? ~Special K~
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I agree with Becka, we have townwide garage sales, almost every other house is having one, I don't think I could remember which one I bought it at.

(not a big fan of garage sales to begin with)

Return to Top
#1029172 - 08/27/08 05:07 PM Re: Would you return this money? Retired DQ
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I think that is why they are advertising though, so the word gets out. I mean it is for a vacation for their kids.

Return to Top
#1029174 - 08/27/08 05:12 PM Re: Would you return this money? Retired DQ
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Plus if it's hidden between the case and the jacket, they (purchaser) may not even notice it for a while.

Return to Top
#1029177 - 08/27/08 05:15 PM Re: Would you return this money? kms
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
If I was buying a CD or DVD, if I see one I want to get I'm going to look at the actual disc. If I found the $$, I'd probably start to freak out and give it back right away.

Return to Top
#1029180 - 08/27/08 05:16 PM Re: Would you return this money? Retired DQ
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
I couldn't sleep at night unless I returned it! If I owe a stinkin penny...it's gotta go!

Of course I'm like you DevilQueen...I have NIGHTMARES about any kind of garage sale or yard sale! My mother used to stop at them all the time when I was a young girl and hold up clothes INCLUDING "unmentionables" out there in front of everybody to see if they would fit!!! Lord help my soul!!! I got to where when we started to come upon one I would try to divert her attention to the opposite side of the road or any kind of "road kill"!

Return to Top
#1029187 - 08/27/08 05:29 PM Re: Would you return this money? KTMiteComply
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: kaytee
I got to where when we started to come upon one I would try to divert her attention to the opposite side of the road or any kind of "road kill"!

I got to that point with my ex-boyfriend, too.
He didn't do anything embarrassing like pick out underwear for me, though - he was just obssessed with garage sales because his mother runs an antiques business and he always wanted to look for some great "find" that she could turn a profit on.

Return to Top
#1029194 - 08/27/08 05:33 PM Re: Would you return this money? Becka Marr
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
I would make every effort to return it....I would have to.

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1029206 - 08/27/08 05:43 PM Re: Would you return this money? Tigg
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
People do the dumbest things! First, dumb husband stores $$$ in a dvd case. Second, dumb wife decides to sell it without even looking inside to make sure the dvd matches the case? Higher education turns out to be costly, doesn't it?

Return to Top
#1029207 - 08/27/08 05:46 PM Re: Would you return this money? Truffle Royale
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I'd return it. There are at times people who do advertise in the paper about whom ever bought such and such at so and so's house please call us and list their number.

That would work if I went to multi garage sales and couldn't remember where I bought it from.

Return to Top
#1029211 - 08/27/08 05:47 PM Re: Would you return this money? Truffle Royale
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
If I was purchasing a CD at a garage sale...I would open the case and make sure the correct CD was in the case...If the money popped out I would return it...I can't imagine buying a CD at a garage sale and not opening the case.

Return to Top
#1029223 - 08/27/08 05:54 PM Re: Would you return this money? Snowqueen
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'd return it...this reminds me of the time Ms.Gilmore was having a garage sale on a saturday,while I was in school. I get home, and she said "oh, since we never listen to them, I sold you turntable and albums...for $20." She was all excited about it, until I told her that several of the albums I had were collectors items, with one worth over $1500 (I had close to 200 albums, so it was a lot). We've never had a garage sale since...she almost became the former Ms.Gilmore that day...

Return to Top
#1029225 - 08/27/08 05:56 PM Re: Would you return this money? HappyGilmore
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Dang. I should check the price of the Beatles album I have...the one that was never released in the US. My dad picked it up for me in Japan. The record is actually red.

Return to Top
#1029226 - 08/27/08 05:57 PM Re: Would you return this money? HappyGilmore
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
but she didn't! Cuz you love her more than those albums!!!

Return to Top
#1029274 - 08/27/08 06:46 PM Re: Would you return this money? HappyGilmore
E.E.G.B Offline
Power Poster
E.E.G.B
the sandy shore
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
I'd return it...this reminds me of the time Ms.Gilmore was having a garage sale on a saturday,while I was in school. I get home, and she said "oh, since we never listen to them, I sold you turntable and albums...for $20." She was all excited about it, until I told her that several of the albums I had were collectors items, with one worth over $1500 (I had close to 200 albums, so it was a lot). We've never had a garage sale since...she almost became the former Ms.Gilmore that day...

ZOMG. I'd be . I also have quite a few vinyl collectibles.

Return to Top
#1029287 - 08/27/08 06:54 PM Re: Would you return this money? Truffle Royale
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Dang. I should check the price of the Beatles album I have...the one that was never released in the US. My dad picked it up for me in Japan. The record is actually red.

Yes, you do need to check it out. If it's in pristine condition, it might help fund your retirement!

Return to Top
#1029291 - 08/27/08 06:57 PM Re: Would you return this money? pjs
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
I'd return it. What comes around goes around, not to mention that it would be the right thing to do.

Return to Top
#1029317 - 08/27/08 07:18 PM Re: Would you return this money? Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale

most of the Beatles albums run in the range of $1,500 - assuming the record is pristine and there are no marks or writing on the jacket - sometimes the color makes a difference too

Return to Top
#1029323 - 08/27/08 07:20 PM Re: Would you return this money? HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore

My dad's sister did something similar when they were young adults - sold a bunch of his albums without permission while he was away. They probably weren't collectors items at the time, but maybe would be today. I'm not sure he's ever fully forgiven her.

Return to Top
#1029325 - 08/27/08 07:22 PM Re: Would you return this money? Pale Rider
opsoff Offline
Diamond Poster
opsoff
Probably at the Dentist
If I could remember where I got it I would definately return it. I always open the case and check the disc before I buy CDs or DVDs used so I would have probably realized it before I left the place.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2