BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1030478 - 08/28/08 08:51 PM structuring question
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
Help solve a debate I'm having with a colleague - - -

John Doe Customer withdrawals $7,000 cash on Monday and another $7,000 cash on Tuesday. On Thursday he deposits $14,000 cash causing a CTR to be completed.

I say that structuring is structuring and that the two $7,000 cash withdrawals are structured and a SAR is necessary.

My colleague argues that it makes no sense to structure two transactions only to turn around and conduct a third transaction that is reported on a CTR. He argues that there must be some other reason for the two withdrawal amounts and that a SAR is not warranted.

Your opinions are appreciated.

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#1030493 - 08/28/08 08:58 PM Re: structuring question KC Danimal
devsfan Offline
Diamond Poster
NYC
I would not file a SAR for these transactions, but I would document that the transactions were seen and the decision was made not to file since there was a CTR filed the same week. Continue to monitor the account.
Last edited by devsfan; 08/28/08 09:00 PM.
Return to Top
#1030498 - 08/28/08 09:01 PM Re: structuring question KC Danimal
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
Does John Doe Customer have a history of large withdrawals followed by equal deposits? Is this type of activity usual for his account?

Return to Top
#1030509 - 08/28/08 09:15 PM Re: structuring question M Cockrell
KC Danimal Offline
Platinum Poster
KC Danimal
Kansas City
I see where you're going and I understand the need to review the totality of the account transaction history becuase the transactions may be suspicious and reportable for some reason beyond structuring.

At this point I am really just looking for opinons on the structuring issue.

Thanks for your input.

Return to Top
#1030514 - 08/28/08 09:18 PM Re: structuring question KC Danimal
M Cockrell Offline
Diamond Poster
M Cockrell
Dallas, TX
For me personally, as far as the structuring goes, I agree with devsfan, especially about documenting your reasoning NOT to file.

Return to Top
#1030527 - 08/28/08 09:30 PM Re: structuring question M Cockrell
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Can you determine the denominations of currency withdrawn and deposited? That could impact a decision as to whether a SAR might be warranted. I would include that documentation in my transaction notes.

Return to Top
#1030534 - 08/28/08 09:44 PM Re: structuring question BrendaC
Maytagman Offline
Gold Star
Maytagman
South
Given the obvious lack of intent to avoid a CTR on Thursday, I lean towards some sort of legitimate need for two separate transactions on Monday and Tuesday. We've got someone who took out $40,000, then put it back in within 24 hours, three or four times in a single month, but he mentioned to employees that he was shopping for some type of large purchase. He actually requested a blank cashier's check, and when that was refused, he decided to bring cash since he thought he would for some reason get a better deal if he was able to show cash at the auction. They tried to make other arrangements with him, but he wanted cash. How about calling him? "Mr. Smith, in a review of accounts, your account was flagged with an alert, and I wanted to mention these three transactions to you, to make sure you were aware of them..." then see what Mr. Smith might volunteer, if anything, to help inform your decision.

Return to Top
#1030737 - 08/29/08 01:27 PM Re: structuring question Maytagman
Little Miss BSA Offline
Diamond Poster
Little Miss BSA
Miami
Have you looked back at his account history and found any kind of pattern of this activity? If not there may be a reasonable explanation - In the attempts to curve defensive filings, I would try to obtain a reason for the transactions and then go from there. If you do get a reasonable explanation document and if you don't then maybe that will push more towards filing. JMHO

Return to Top
#1031029 - 08/29/08 05:13 PM Re: structuring question Little Miss BSA
BSA4LIFE Offline
Gold Star
California
We are seeing a lot of this activity due to the houseing market. Many customers are going to foreclosure auctions and taking cash. If they are unsuccessful they bring it back.

Return to Top
#1031399 - 08/29/08 09:00 PM Re: structuring question BSA4LIFE
WonderWoman Offline
Diamond Poster
WonderWoman
gone fishin'
*ditto* to BSA4LIFE.

We see this activity with cash & cashiers checks being purchased for home & car auctions all the time.

KYC

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z