Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#10323 - 02/13/02 02:26 PM Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act
Anonymous
Unregistered

Sec 518 of the Act prohibits adverse credit reporting. Do you interppret this to mean that Credit reporting should be suspended during military service? If so, when reporting resumes, should all aging during the military service be removed? Is the policy the same for mortgaes and credit cards? Is anoone suspending the aging of SSCRA accounts?

Return to Top
Lending to Servicemembers (SCRA, JWNDAA), War, Terrorism
#10324 - 02/13/02 03:08 PM Re: Soldiers & Sailors Relief Act
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I am not an attorney. But I interpret it to mean that you can't report the account as negative based on the terms later changed by SSCRA.

That is, don't report the payments past due based on the contractual rate of interest. If the rate and payments are lowered and it is unpaid, I don't have a problem in reporting that. I base this largely on the intent of the law and the fact that someone loaded with debt could join the service voluntarily for 20+ years. Are they not supposed to have a credit report in that time?

Someone else may have a different read on this and I'd be interested in it with any cases to support their position.

I don't know that this has been a big deal yet.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z