Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1032687 - 09/02/08 04:49 PM Where's the Liberal outrage now???
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I seem to remember the Liberals have a big problem with Cheney getting 5 Deferments. Where's the Liberal outrage over Biden's Deferments???

Quote:
Democratic vice presidential nominee Joe Biden received five student draft deferments during the Vietnam War, the same number of deferments received by Vice President Dick Cheney, and later was disqualified from service because of asthma as a teenager.

http://www.courant.com/news/politics/ats-ap-cvn-biden-vietnamaug31,0,2934547.story

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1032695 - 09/02/08 04:53 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Bimmer
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
I am outraged!!!!

Return to Top
#1032698 - 09/02/08 04:53 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Bimmer
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Interesting because if the asthma had been brought up in the first place he would have automatically been DQ'd and not needed the deferrments. Unless it took them that long to come up with "doctors records"

Return to Top
#1032701 - 09/02/08 04:55 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Bimmer
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Would it make you feel better if you were offered the same response you gave to concerns over Cheney's deferments?

Return to Top
#1032703 - 09/02/08 04:56 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? kms
A_G Offline
10K Club
That's what I was wondering.

If he had asthma as a teen, would it not have disqualified him in the first place? Why did it take seven years?

Return to Top
#1032710 - 09/02/08 04:59 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I am guessing a conspiracy theorist as well as a condescending conservative would say the asthma had a correlation with graduation from law school.......

Return to Top
#1032711 - 09/02/08 05:00 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Pale Rider
Lisa_Bates Offline
Power Poster
Lisa_Bates
Perhaps he developed asthma when he found out how much he had to repay in student loans

Return to Top
#1032712 - 09/02/08 05:00 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Hrothgar Geiger
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
Would it make you feel better if you were offered the same response you gave to concerns over Cheney's deferments?

I guess if you are a totally partisan lady then yes. But we already know you will just do whatever the Donkey tells you to. Baaaaaaaaa

Return to Top
#1032714 - 09/02/08 05:01 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Lisa_Bates
A_G Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: TexasEmerald
Perhaps he developed asthma when he found out how much he had to repay in student loans

Return to Top
#1032716 - 09/02/08 05:02 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Lisa_Bates
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
It's ok, RonMex and AMLB will provide us with some perfectly acceptable reason why Cheney's deferrments were mere avoidance and the Honorable VP Candidate's are totally within reason.

Return to Top
#1032775 - 09/02/08 05:45 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: MagiciansNephew
It ok, RonMex and AMLB will provide us with some perfectly acceptable reason why Cheney's deferrments were mere avoidance and the Honorable VP Candidate's are totally within reason.

Really? I will?

Fascinating. I can hardly wait to see what I'll say....

Return to Top
#1032780 - 09/02/08 05:48 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? TheManofSteel
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
I had asthma symptoms playing football in high school, but was not diagnosed with asthma until about 4 years ago, a time gap of some 24 years. I just assumed I had trouble catching my breath. It wasn't until I nearly blacked out from it that I complained to the doctor about it and he tested me. Now I carry a rescue inhaler all the time and use Advair daily. So, maybe Biden didn't know it was asthma when he was a teenager, but found out later?

I've got a buddy who served a tour in Iraq, even though the Army medical had found a problem with his lungs. When he got back from Iraq, they removed half of his left lung because of a "mass". They gave him a medical discharge, but not until they got a battle tour out of him.

Return to Top
#1032795 - 09/02/08 05:55 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Mint Julep
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Not a lot of talk about how Biden voted the same as Hillary on the war in Iraq, either...yet. I'm sure all of this will get more play in the debates and campaigning.

Return to Top
#1032808 - 09/02/08 05:59 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Truffle Royale
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Not a lot of talk about the legal troubles for Biden's Son and Brother either.

Return to Top
#1032818 - 09/02/08 06:07 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? kms
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Interesting because if the asthma had been brought up in the first place he would have automatically been DQ'd and not needed the deferrments.

Student deferments were routinely granted while you were a full-time student in college. A deferment was just a postponement of your draft obligation, not anything suspect or wrong. Virtually every male college student had one. The issue only came to a head when your eligibility for deferments ran out.

Cheney wasn't criticized for deferments, he did get some heat for saying he had "other priorities" rather than serving.

Return to Top
#1032844 - 09/02/08 06:30 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
http://www.slate.com/id/2097365/

really, Cheney wasn't criticized for "dodging" the draft!?!?!?!

take a look at the above.................

Return to Top
#1032852 - 09/02/08 06:33 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Pale Rider
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
The sobriquet "chickenhawk" does come to mind.

Return to Top
#1032858 - 09/02/08 06:38 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Hrothgar Geiger
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
The lack of liberal outrage is just another example of their death grip on the mainstream media. It's really a sort of "chick and the egg" debate: Which came first, the liberal or the double-standard? Because, really, one would not exist without the other.

Return to Top
#1032888 - 09/02/08 07:14 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
really, Cheney wasn't criticized for "dodging" the draft!?!?!?!

Is that what I said? Or was it more like:

Quote:
Cheney wasn't criticized for deferments, he did get some heat for saying he had "other priorities" rather than serving

My point remains that student deferments didn't get you out of the draft permanently, they just delayed the process. Ultimately, Biden didn't serve because of his medical issue.

Return to Top
#1032893 - 09/02/08 07:18 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
"other priorities' got one out from serving ?

Bimmer's point was Cheney being called a draft dodger, please see the first post.........

Return to Top
#1032905 - 09/02/08 07:27 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Bimmer's point was Cheney being called a draft dodger, please see the first post.........

I did look at the first post and it still says:

Quote:
I seem to remember the Liberals have a big problem with Cheney getting 5 Deferments. Where's the Liberal outrage over Biden's Deferments???

And, once again, student deferments are just delays, not the ultimate reason for not serving. Bimmer is trying to make it appear that deferments are the issue rather than why someone ultimately didn't serve.

Return to Top
#1032907 - 09/02/08 07:30 PM Re: Where's the Liberal outrage now??? Yossarian
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Que up the Benny Hill Music

Return to Top