Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1032800 - 09/02/08 05:57 PM Notice of address change from USPS
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
I was wondering how everyone else is going to validate address changes when the notice comes from the post office. Per the OCC webinar, banks will not be able to rely on the post office notice alone to initiate an address change. Will you be calling or e-mailing the customer, sending an address change form to the new address supplied by the post office, using a third-party service?

Return to Top
#1032805 - 09/02/08 05:58 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
We are talking about sending a notice to the old address and new address just like the USPS does when you change your address.

Return to Top
#1032809 - 09/02/08 06:00 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Mrs. Rizzo
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
If that is the standard we are to be held to, then they should put it in writing. To have one branch of the government indicate that we cannot trust what another branch of the government tells us about a customer's address seems to be beyond ridiculous.

Return to Top
#1032814 - 09/02/08 06:06 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We are going to send an address change form to the new address. We will verify the signature against our account records.

Return to Top
#1032842 - 09/02/08 06:28 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
jap

I totally agree with you - I'm just reiterating what I've been told.

I also know for a fact that the post office is not beyond making mistakes. My address was changed about 3 years ago with the USPS...without me initiating it. From what I can tell it was a mistake on their part, but it can happen.
Last edited by AuditorK; 09/02/08 07:51 PM.
Return to Top
#1032843 - 09/02/08 06:30 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Skittles
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Duchess,

This is what we've been contemplating doing. I'm struggling with what to do if the customer never sends the signed address change back to us.

Return to Top
#1032856 - 09/02/08 06:34 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS *DELETED* Skittles
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Post deleted by AuditorK

Return to Top
#1032859 - 09/02/08 06:40 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
I agree; I'm not trying to say that the PO doesn't make mistakes. I'm just saying that if one branch of the gov't tells us that a customer's address is now XXXXX, how could another branch of that same gov't possibly tell us that we can't rely on what the other branch just told us. Otherwise, we are being held to a higher standard than the United States government.

We are an OTS thrift and haven't heard any direction similar to what the OCC told you. Until we do (or until commentary or exam procedures indicate otherwise), we are going to rely on the PO's notice as reliable documentation of an address change.

Return to Top
#1032867 - 09/02/08 06:51 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Sounds like a plan as well. Thanks for weighing in on this. Some additional guidance from the regulators sure would be nice.

Return to Top
#1032868 - 09/02/08 06:51 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Then I don't believe we can change the address. Maybe if the customer stops receiving their statements that will work. Right now I'm still struggling with all of this on the 'how' parts.

jap - if I go to the Post Office to change my address do they ID me? If not, anyone could change anyone else's address.

Return to Top
#1032871 - 09/02/08 06:54 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Skittles
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
I don't believe the post office ID's a person changing an address. If things still work the same as they did a few years ago, you can pick up the "Change of Address Packet" and complete it at home and put the change form in the mail to be processed. Scary!

Return to Top
#1032872 - 09/02/08 06:56 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
Then perhaps this regulation needs to have been directed at the USPS.

Return to Top
#1032880 - 09/02/08 07:05 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Think about it guys. Anyone can submit and address change to the PO. You can even do it online. There is NO verification process. A yellow sticker is worthless and should never be used as validation. Sending to old and new doesn't help either because the mail will all be forwarded to the "new" address.

You will have to come up with another method. Either call the customer or wait to receive an "I'm not receiving" as Skittles mentioned.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#1032894 - 09/02/08 07:19 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS RR Joker
jap Offline
Platinum Poster
jap
IN
I have thought about it. This yellow sticker tells me that the US government is confidently ready and willing to forward any and all of the real John Doe's mail (credit card statements, bank statements, access devices, temporary PIN notices, etc) to this new address. It is not my responsibility to audit the USPS's process for verifying an address change, nor to audit what requirements a person must go through at the BMV to get a license issued, etc.

By relying on the yellow sticker, I am adhering to the regulation by relying on an independent third party source (the government no less) for authentication of an updated address. If their controls are weak, then they need to address them. Otherwise, you are creating a never ending cycle in which you, the banker, cannot rely on any third party documentation until you have thoroughly verified the process the third party goes to prior to issuing identification or other documentation. If your third party is the hobo on the corner, then yes you probably want to do some research before determining whether you can trust that source, but if your third party is an official state or federal gov't entity, then you should be able to assume a reasonable comfort level that they are operating efficiently.

Return to Top
#1032903 - 09/02/08 07:26 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS jap
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Just playing devil's advocate - aren't we negligent for relying on a third party (USPS), when in fact that third-party is negligent and we have knowledge of it? I guess two wrongs don't make a right. Maybe some day if the USPS beefs up their ID procedures, we can reevaluate and begin relying on them. Until then, it seems we must make up for their short fall.

Return to Top
#1032937 - 09/02/08 07:47 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
What about only allowing address changes to either be done in person?

Return to Top
#1032953 - 09/02/08 07:54 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Mrs. Rizzo
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Allowing address changes only in person seems to be about the only solid way to ensure a valid change (assuming good CIP procedures are followed).

Return to Top
#1032966 - 09/02/08 08:01 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Mrs. Rizzo
Marnie Offline
Gold Star
Nevada
I agree with AuditorK--we do have knowledge the post office is unreliable. I also believe this is one of the reasons for the new red flag (red tape) guidelines--because the public put pressure on the government to help with identity theft and there had already been enough passing the buck. So step (1) educate all customers on how address changes will be accepted (in person or notarized request), (2)make this a talking point with customers at all new account openings, (3)if not notarized, phone the customer at the number currently on the system when receiving an address change, (4) if unable to contact, place a note on the account, (5)block mailings and wait for the customer to contact you.

Return to Top
#1033219 - 09/03/08 01:15 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS Marnie
MN Banker Offline
Platinum Poster
According to the rules, you can "verify" a change of address request by simply sending a letter to the old address. Aren't we basically relying on the post office in this scenario too? For example:

Fraudster changes address with post office. Fraudster then comes into bank to change address. We send out a letter to the "old" address, which the post office then forwards on to the new address. The customer never receives the letter, yet we believe we've verified the address because the customer hasn't contacted us to tell us it's wrong. Or, if we've requested address service on the letter, the letter comes back to us with that little yellow sticker from the post office telling us what the "new" address is, and it agrees to our change of address request. What would you do in that scenario? Consider the address verified, or would you have some other procedure to contact the customer and verify it?

Return to Top
#1033363 - 09/03/08 02:36 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS MN Banker
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Our bank was relying on the change of address stickers until a little over a year ago. We have since stopped and now have procedures in place to mail a letter along with a change of address form requiring a signature to the customer at the address given by the post office on the envelope. When we receive the form back, the signature is verified prior to mailing the returned mail to the customer.

Return to Top
#1034059 - 09/03/08 09:06 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
We relied on the yellow stickers in the past, but stopped that practice a couple of years ago. Now, we flag the customers account so that when the customer comes into the bank and an inquiry, deposit, etc. is done on the account, an alert message is displayed. The customer service representative can then obtain the correct information from the customer.

Return to Top
#1034100 - 09/03/08 10:00 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Oh Lord, did they ever scream when I suggested we require address changes to be done in person!

Return to Top
#1034106 - 09/03/08 10:06 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS YosemiteSamIAm
VMack Offline
Platinum Poster
Texas
We have not relied upon or changed a customer's address per the postal notification in several years. In fact, when we receive notification that the address is changed, the account is coded to hold mail until we receive notification from the customer. A little extreme? I guess, but it seems to have worked for us and I don't anticipate making ay changes. I'll just document the procedure in my program.

“The wise know their limitations; the foolish do not.”
Benjamin Hoff, The Tao of Pooh

Return to Top
#1034270 - 09/04/08 01:07 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS YosemiteSamIAm
AuditorK Offline
Platinum Poster
PA
Originally Posted By: Coloradomountainman
Oh Lord, did they ever scream when I suggested we require address changes to be done in person!

I got the same resistance to this until I asked for an alternative way to verify the authenticity of address changes. I got no suggestions.

Return to Top
#1034316 - 09/04/08 01:52 PM Re: Notice of address change from USPS AuditorK
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I got the same reaction!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2