Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1033465 - 09/03/08 03:17 PM SSA death benefit?
Lake Side Offline
Hello All,

I have a question I wanted to see if anyone has had experience with. My mother and father are both in their 70s and both on social security (pretty much their only income source). My father is very ill and has just a short time left with us. We are trying to get all our paperwork together.

Does anyone know the ins and outs of social security's death benefit? Does my mom get part of my dad's benefit upon his passing, etc.....

Driving to navigate through the SSA website is a struggle and getting through on the phone has not been a success. I just wanted to see if anyone else has been through this.

thank you!

Return to Top
#1033696 - 09/03/08 05:26 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Lake Side
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
If you have a local Social Security office near you that would be your best source. Trying to figure out the ins and outs of Social Security can be quite confusing. They do have informational booklets about their different benefits. Maybe there is one on spousal death benefits.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#1033705 - 09/03/08 05:30 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Lake Side
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
While I don't know the answer to your question, I just want you to know that I'm praying for you and your family through this difficult time.

Return to Top
#1033716 - 09/03/08 05:34 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Skittles
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
sum...I echo Duchess sentiments! It is the most awful experience you are going through...so I will be praying for you.

As I remember after my fathers death my mother started getting HIS benefits because his was the most. If my mother's had been the most between the two nothing would have changed for her. So whomever get's the most in SS that is the one she would receive.

So sorry for what you are having to deal with. Hugs & Prayers!

Return to Top
#1033778 - 09/03/08 06:16 PM Re: SSA death benefit? KTMiteComply
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
http://www.ssa.gov/pubs/10084.html

If you are already getting Social Security benefits

If you are getting benefits as a wife or husband based on your spouse’s work, when you report the death to us, we will change your payments to survivors benefits. If we need more information, we will contact you.

If you are getting benefits based on your own work, call or visit us, and we will check to see if you can get more money as a widow or widower. You will receive the higher benefit, not a combination of the two types of benefits. You will need to complete an application to switch to survivors benefits, and we will need to see your spouse’s death certificate.

Return to Top
#1033921 - 09/03/08 07:23 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Dan Persfull
RR Sarah Online
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
We went through this with my dad when my mom passed away. His social security benefit was greater than hers so he continued to receive his own benefit. If my mom's would have been greater he would have begun receiving hers. At any rate, he was not entitled to receive both. Also, I believe there was a one time death benefit payout of about $250.

Return to Top
#1033972 - 09/03/08 07:47 PM Re: SSA death benefit? RR Sarah
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
What about to an adult child? Do they get a death benefit?

Return to Top
#1033986 - 09/03/08 07:58 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Snow Bunny
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
The adult child gets nothing. No death benefit or partial months payment for the last month the parent was alive. I know this because I was the executor of my mother's estate fou years ago and we got nothing. The death benefit only goes to a spouse.

Return to Top
#1034063 - 09/03/08 09:09 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Ready to Retire
Lake Side Offline
Thanks for all the responses and thoughts.

Return to Top
#1034263 - 09/04/08 12:59 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Lake Side
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Thanks FS - doesn't seem fair, does it. The bills still keep coming, and when the parent's money runs out, the doctors, hospital, etc have to write it off. No wonder medical bills are so high.

Return to Top
#1034658 - 09/04/08 05:15 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Ready to Retire
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Originally Posted By: Finally Spring
The adult child gets nothing. No death benefit or partial months payment for the last month the parent was alive. I know this because I was the executor of my mother's estate fou years ago and we got nothing. The death benefit only goes to a spouse.

Ditto on the scenario if the parent has an adult child and a minor child. Minor child gets benefits, adult child gets zilch. My sis got a ridiculous amount of $$ until she turned 19. No I'm not bitter

Return to Top
#1034664 - 09/04/08 05:18 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Princess Leia
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Princess Leia
Originally Posted By: Finally Spring

Ditto on the scenario if the parent has an adult child and a minor child. Minor child gets benefits, adult child gets zilch. My sis got a ridiculous amount of $$ until she turned 19. No I'm not bitter

Ditto that!

Return to Top
#1036347 - 09/08/08 12:41 AM Re: SSA death benefit? #Just Jay
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I found out about the no partial payments the hard way. My mom died on the 25th of May and they took back the May payment. I still had her May bills that were due. What a rip off.

Return to Top
#1036621 - 09/08/08 04:42 PM Re: SSA death benefit? CRAatBOK
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Hubby's uncle died on the last day of the month; and yes, they took back the entire month. It really should be pro-rated. I am surprised that AARP and the other Seniors' lobbies don't try to do something about this.

Return to Top
#1038273 - 09/10/08 12:26 AM Re: SSA death benefit? Snow Bunny
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
adult children only receive a benefit if they are some way incapacitated and unable to work (disabling illness that started as a minor, mental retardation, etc.) and are 100% relying upon the parents for support.

Return to Top
#1038306 - 09/10/08 01:54 AM Re: SSA death benefit? HappyGilmore
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
there is still the death benefit of $255, right?

my dear old mum worked until she was 81, so her benefit was well in excess of my father's since he retired in '65

Return to Top
#1039079 - 09/10/08 06:14 PM Re: SSA death benefit? Pale Rider
Ready to Retire Offline
Diamond Poster
Living in the land of Oz
Only for spouses, not children. Well, adult children, I don't know about dependent children.

Return to Top
#1060536 - 10/08/08 07:30 AM Re: SSA death benefit? Ready to Retire
Seadevil Offline
Gold Star
Missouri
I know that I will probably get blasted. But I suggest looking into Final Expense insurance. In the big scheme of things it is pretty cheap per month, usually ranges from 40-60 per month. There are many different ones out there and if you purchase it early enough, it is cheaper. Also, if you or your parents have medical conditions, there are some that are pretty much guaranteed issue.

Things that it can used for is funeral expenses (which are quite expensive figuring in the cost of a casket, vault, plot, etc...) and final bills. Most range from 5K - 25K.

My mother took one out on a family member's spouse after the other spouse passed away. Since they ended up paying for the funeral, thank goodness we knew the funeral director and he gave my parents a huge discount). Basic 10K policy that will pay for all the final expenses.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett