Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#103493 - 08/05/03 09:34 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Well, Nikko, I don't know where you live, but on the NJ Turnpike during rush hour (75-85 mph avg. speed, right laners do 70 on avg), there's an awful lot of "lane drifting" going on and usually you see the cell phone while you are escaping.
You should come and visit, it's exhilarating!

And if the pavement is dry, and the sun is out, and it's not rush hour, and the State Police cruisers are nowhere in sight, the unofficial speed limit is Warp Factor 2!

Like pedestrians in Manhattan, in New Jersey there are two kinds of drivers: the quick and the dead.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#103494 - 08/05/03 09:36 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
jack Offline
100 Club
jack
USA
Quote:

However, I'm not 100% convinced that cellphones have caused anymore accidents than eating or smoking in the car. I just think people need to pay more attention while using them. I do not support banning the use of cellphones while driving.

A 1997 study in the New England Journal of Medicine found that talking on a phone while driving quadrupled the risk of an accident and was almost as dangerous as being drunk behind the wheel.

link

Return to Top
#103495 - 08/05/03 09:39 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
Quote:

The thing that annoys me the most are those persons who appear not to understand the concept of "4-Way Stop".

The person on the right goes first. I've wanted to do an advertising campaign to enlighten everyone that has forgotten since their Learner's Permit.

Return to Top
#103496 - 08/05/03 09:40 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Uncle_Milty Offline
Gold Star
New Jersey
Quote:

The thing that annoys me the most are those persons who appear not to understand the concept of "4-Way Stop".

While I know what to do at a 4 way stop, I've never seen one that shouldn't have been either a traffic light or a 2 way stop. One of the poorest designs, if you ask me, and I live in the traffic circle state (thankfully they are cutting through them one by one).

Didja ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot and anyone going faster than you is a maniac? (George Carlin)

Return to Top
#103497 - 08/05/03 09:41 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

What about witchcraft is real? Do you mean if my kid boils toads feet with a chicken leg and casts a spell I might grow a tail?

I see that the practice of witchcraft may be real but spell that actually work? Come on! I've never seen it. Convince me! I need scientific proof.

You need a dictionary, not proof. Witchcraft: A magical or irresistible influence, attraction, or charm. It's the belief that is real, not the outcome.

Geez ...You're insulting ...can't have a civil conversation with you!
It's a belief. There is nothing wrong with that unless someone is being harmed.

Return to Top
#103498 - 08/05/03 09:43 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

Well, Nikko, I don't know where you live, but on the NJ Turnpike during rush hour (75-85 mph avg. speed, right laners do 70 on avg), there's an awful lot of "lane drifting" going on and usually you see the cell phone while you are escaping.
You should come and visit, it's exhilarating!

And if the pavement is dry, and the sun is out, and it's not rush hour, and the State Police cruisers are nowhere in sight, the unofficial speed limit is Warp Factor 2!

Like pedestrians in Manhattan, in New Jersey there are two kinds of drivers: the quick and the dead.

I think I would like that. I drive fast and the city I'm in now everyone drives really slow. I like to bob and weave in and out of traffic and the only place you really get to do that is in larger cities.

Return to Top
#103499 - 08/05/03 09:50 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Pet driving peeve: Driving with parking lights on. "Hey stupid, there's a reason they are called parking lights."

Return to Top
#103500 - 08/05/03 09:59 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

People can be and are harmed by a belief in witchcraft all the time. Also, we were not having a conversation - you have a misunderstanding of the word "witchcraft" and I'm here to help you out. Be happy.

Return to Top
#103501 - 08/05/03 10:03 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

People can be and are harmed by a belief in witchcraft all the time. Also, we were not having a conversation - you have a misunderstanding of the word "witchcraft" and I'm here to help you out. Be happy.

I'm happy as can be. I was just pointing out that your "helping me out" comes across as insulting me and talking down to me. Remember, this form of communication leaves a lot of room for interpretation of the tone in which a comment is made.

Return to Top
#103502 - 08/05/03 10:04 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Quote:

there are two kinds of drivers: the quick and the dead

Quote:

My favorite trick is to take my foot off the gas and slow down until they eventually get mad and pull around, then you smile at them when they are screaming at you. However, now that Minnesota has passed the concealed gun law I don't think I will do that anymore.

OK, I admit it, I'm doing 5-10 miles over the limit on the Interstate and this maniac gets right on my bumper, flashes lights, the whole bit until I get past the car in the other lane and pull back over into the right lane. My favorite thing to do when they go around yelling and screaming (& sometimes with less than polite gestures) is to smile real big and wave at them like I just recognized them. The expressions are priceless.

Return to Top
#103503 - 08/05/03 10:06 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

Quote:

there are two kinds of drivers: the quick and the dead

Quote:

My favorite trick is to take my foot off the gas and slow down until they eventually get mad and pull around, then you smile at them when they are screaming at you. However, now that Minnesota has passed the concealed gun law I don't think I will do that anymore.

OK, I admit it, I'm doing 5-10 miles over the limit on the Interstate and this manic gets right on my bumper, flashes lights, the whole bit until I get past the car in the other lane and pull back over into the right lane. My favorite thing to do when they go around yelling and screaming (& sometimes with less than polite gestures) is to smile real big and wave at them like I just recognized them. The expressions are priceless.

If you want a better reaction point and laugh at them. They hate that. "Disclaimer: These stunt are performed by professionals and I am not advocating attemting them on your own. The performer of this stunt is not quite right in the head when he is driving."

Return to Top
#103504 - 08/05/03 10:35 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Anonymous
Unregistered

Tenacious is correct. Witchcraft and the occult are very powerful forces and not to be trivialized. I saw the movies and they were interesting, but pure fiction, as any of the Star Trek series where mankind has the last word and ultimate power over anything it encounters. Children are not born with wisdom, nor does it come magically with age. It must be taught and sought out.

Aside from that, it does feel good to see the bad guys get it!

Return to Top
#103505 - 08/05/03 10:54 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Quote:

Quote:

The person on the right goes first. I've wanted to do an advertising campaign to enlighten everyone that has forgotten since their Learner's Permit.

But when all four vehicles arrive at the intersection simultaneously, who goes first? Every vehicle is on someone's right! In New Jersey, whoever has the oldest and least valuable car goes first, because they have the least to lose if they get hit.

Return to Top
#103506 - 08/05/03 11:01 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

I'm happy as can be. I was just pointing out that your "helping me out" comes across as insulting me and talking down to me. Remember, this form of communication leaves a lot of room for interpretation of the tone in which a comment is made.

That’s your view, but that does not make it true. You can also elect to re-interpret the message after you’ve re-read my post and your response. To me, it’s not a trivial matter. Posted words, positions and thoughts have consequences.

Return to Top
#103507 - 08/05/03 11:28 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

Without parents helping their children understand the real Truth of Scripture, Harry Potter books and films could possibly lead curious, uninitiated seekers, down the path of dabbling in the occult.

Lord save me from your followers!

Children need an imagination. The books discussed spur on their imagination and if I had children, I'd make 'em read the dang things!

I believe children should believe in faries, borrowers, elfs and tribbles. Santa and the tooth fairy as well as a whole host of witches, goblins and other goofy creatures. Imagination is a wonderful thing and it should be nurtured, not beat down with a bible.

Besides...that particular group of fables might be just a good story...and not the fact you think it is. Sure they're good stories, and they might even be mans rendition of real stories, but stories they are. They include burning bushes and evil devils. The men who told the stories might have actually had the imagination you're trying to beat out of todays kids.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#103508 - 08/05/03 11:48 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
califgirl Offline
Diamond Poster
califgirl
The O.C., California
I'm a native Californian, and I've seen it all on the freeways! I have seen a man shaving while driving, women doing makeup, people changing their clothes while driving, and a woman who used to work for me would take her panty hose off while driving!

Return to Top
#103509 - 08/06/03 12:22 AM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
111 Offline
Gold Star
Quote:

Lord save me from your followers!

I just knew you would chime in on this with the over the top Alaska slant on the issue. Your position is way too liberal for me, but that's not new and this will not be the last time. We are saved by the "if" and non-believer attitude. All is well as your position is completely cancelled out by mine.

Return to Top
#103510 - 08/06/03 02:42 AM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I would think that someone who is not Bible believing, like Dawnie, would understand why those who are do not want their children delving into witchcraft--even if it is apparently innocent. Likewise, I would think that those of you who are Bible believing would not expect those who are not to agree with you on this subject.

Return to Top
#103511 - 08/06/03 03:26 AM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've got a confession to make. I've been under a lot of pressure and have been putting in a lot of hours lately working on special projects. I'm finding that my driving habits are getting more and more aggressive. (But I'm not talking about road rage.)

I find that I like to drive faster and faster. I sometimes drive 10 to 20 miles over the speed limit (on surface streets) and usually 15 to 25 miles over the limit on the highway. I only do it if I think it's safe, but perhaps it's never safe. I don't know. (I live in an urban area, so it's not like I'm out on some country road.)

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to get caught one day and my wife will have a fit. I only do this when I'm alone and she has no idea. She'd probably hide my keys if she knew.

Return to Top
#103512 - 08/06/03 11:53 AM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
My driving pet peave is children who are not in restraints. Nothing makes me angry than to see a child turned around backwards in a seat or standing up in front of a passenger.

Return to Top
#103513 - 08/06/03 12:17 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good News! In NJ, our illustrious Governor McGreevey just signed a new driving bill into law yesterday: It is now illegal to sleep when you drive!
I just feel so much safer on the road now!

Return to Top
#103514 - 08/06/03 01:46 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Maybe this is just a Wisconsin thing, BUT....

My biggest driving pet peeve is the people that have live in this wonderful state of WI their entire lives and FREAK OUT during the first snow fall AS IF IT HAS NEVER SNOWED HERE BEFORE!
I feel much better now.

Return to Top
#103515 - 08/06/03 01:48 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
Quote:

My biggest driving pet peeve is the people that have live in this wonderful state of WI their entire lives and FREAK OUT during the first snow fall AS IF IT HAS NEVER SNOWED HERE BEFORE!
I feel much better now.

That happens in all the upper midwest states that get a lot of snow. I experience it every year.

Return to Top
#103516 - 08/06/03 01:49 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I would think that someone who is not Bible believing, like Dawnie, would understand why those who are do not want their children delving into witchcraft--even if it is apparently innocent. Likewise, I would think that those of you who are Bible believing would not expect those who are not to agree with you on this subject.

I'm sorry perhaps I am misunderstanding this statement. Am I correct to interpret this to mean that you can either approve of Harry Potter books or believe in the Bible? If this is the case, I am sorry to say that you are sadly mistaken.

I am a Christian who believes heavily in the Bible. I just don't consider the ficticious stories created to have anything to do with the "suffer ye not a witch to live" of the scripture.

If I took everything that is printed in todays society at a gospel standard, there would be little that would meet the standards of approval for literature for children or adults.

There is no more evil coming from these books than there is from the classic fairy tales of Snow White, etc. As in these books and those, it is good who overcomes evil and the desire to do the right thing that wins out in the end. Whether the heroes use enchantments or swords or even a rock and sling, the case is defeating the evil that is trying to conquer the good in oneself and society as a whole.

I know this because I have read all the books involved firsthand. I did so before allowing my eight year old daughter to read each and every one of them. As a parent, I understand that it is my resoponsibility to do so.

And as a side note for those of you who do not know, the author of the books, J.K. Rowling, has publicly stated that she does not believe in magic as shown in her stories. They are just that, stories.

Return to Top
#103517 - 08/06/03 02:00 PM Re: Drives Me Crazy!
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Quote:

Quote:

I feel much better now.

That happens in all the upper midwest states that get a lot of snow. I experience it every year.

When it rains too? I know I'm an aggresive driver, but geesh, rain and snow is not a big deal....unless you get dumped with obscene amounts.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6