Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#103666 - 08/05/03 08:55 PM Flood Insurance and the Amish
K. Pier Offline
K. Pier
PA
As many of you know, the Amish do not believe in insurance. In the case of fire insurance, the bank can accept a letter from the Amish community leaders that the community will rebuild the home if it is destroyed by fire.

What about flood insurance? I don't recall reading anything that gives the bank the leeway to accept such a letter in lieu of requiring insurance. Is there something in the law that permits such an exemption?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#103667 - 08/05/03 09:38 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
I know of no exemption.

Return to Top
#103668 - 08/05/03 09:48 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
D2Xs Offline
Power Poster
D2Xs
I've never seen any exception. But you did just teach me something about fire insurance though. Do you have a cite for that?

Return to Top
#103669 - 08/05/03 10:17 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
It is not a regulation. The Amish will stand behind a loan. This is as good as gold for bankers.

Return to Top
#103670 - 08/06/03 12:25 AM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
Amish people are probably too smart to build a home in a flood plain. Is this a real situation, or a "rainy day" question?

Return to Top
#103671 - 08/06/03 04:02 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
Quote:

It is not a regulation. The Amish will stand behind a loan. This is as good as gold for bankers.

Is it as good for regulators? This is new info to me. The closest I've been to this since I was little and lived in that area was watching Witness. In one sense I am surprised they don't have their own financial system that meets their needs.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#103672 - 08/06/03 05:31 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
CarlD Offline
100 Club
CarlD
Mennonites have credit unions. Amish are more hard core. They do not have computers or even electricity.

Return to Top
#103673 - 08/09/03 11:20 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
K. Pier Offline
K. Pier
PA
No rainy day question here - sorry to say this is a real situation.

Return to Top
#103674 - 08/10/03 02:17 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
Living in Pennsylvania and having worked in banking for many years in PA, we accepted a letter from the Amish community "elders" stating that if a house or barn, etc. burned down or was otherwise destroyed, the community would rebuild it. That is their practice and they do rebuild for affected members of the community. Never a question. There is no equivalent for flood isurance that I have ever come across-we only did this for hazard insurance.

The Susquehanna goes through the Lancaster area but that doesn't mean there are any Amish farms in the flood plain. If I can track down some of my former CoreStates (now Wachovia) co-workers out that way, I can ask what they do for flood.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top
#103675 - 08/10/03 07:05 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
You could always buy the insurance at the bank's expense and raise the price on the loan.

Return to Top
#103676 - 08/11/03 03:30 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
You could also always ask FEMA's advice. This must have come up before.

Return to Top
#103677 - 08/11/03 06:08 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Anonymous
Unregistered

Perhaps the Amish community is considered a non-participating community and therefore flood insurance is not avaialable?

Return to Top
#103678 - 08/11/03 07:47 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
Anonymous
Unregistered

I've sent this question up through FEMA a couple of times in regard to a particular religious group. The group writes a general cooperative policy that includes flood coverage. After several requests for advice, with FEMA deferring to our regulator and our regulator deferring to FEMA, got advised that there just was not an exception. To substitute any coverage for the federal policy, it has to be comparable. This is usually an issue on cancellation, though we also had questions regarding the church group not being a licensed provider(they are exempt) and the "policy" being described as not being an insurance policy in the program description. Local examiners had not run into this before either. (Knowing that the bank down the street accepted the customer without further insurance while we were instructed not to was noted by both of us.) By the way, we did have the loan for one year with a force placed federal policy. The customer found they could do better elsewhere. As noted above, it was unusual to first, be making a loan to a member, and second, to have buildings in a flood zone.

Return to Top
#103679 - 10/31/03 11:11 PM Re: Flood Insurance and the Amish
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Quote:

In my past experience, the Old Order Mennonites would make good on any delinquency rather than allow the reputation of the community to be tarnished.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z