Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1036449 - 09/08/08 02:00 PM Start to a Bad week for Obama......
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
September 08, 2008

How to tell Obama's in trouble

Clarice Feldman (found on the American Thinker)

"Sunday Biden says life begins at conception.

Over the weekend Obama said he'll not rescind the Bush tax cuts if the economy remained in trouble.

Earlier on O'Reilly he said the surge did work.

Backtracking on the surge, taxes and abortion. Hmm. Next thing you know Obama and Biden will start campaigning in red open-toed shoes and frameless glasses. "

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1036463 - 09/08/08 02:16 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Senator Joseph R. Biden Jr., on “Meet the Press” on NBC: “They believe in their faith and they believe in human life, and they have differing views as to when life — I’m prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception.”

Return to Top
#1036499 - 09/08/08 02:47 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... The OG Zaibatsu
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
How can you believe a man who has been saying that he will not renew tax cuts, and will increase taxes on "the rich" so that he can pave the way for the poor to become middle classed and not stop there when he changes his mind once.

PLEASE, Obama will raise taxes. Under Obama, we will see the highest taxes in the history of our nation. Unless, of course, he isn't going to give the voters who elect him what he is promising.

Add to that his Carteresque belief that you can reason with and talk diplomatically to anyone and get results, and you have the worst possible president ever.

Return to Top
#1036506 - 09/08/08 02:53 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... B_F
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I am wondering if Obama isnt looking for a way to cut Biden and that statement over the weekend could give it to him. Palin is becoming americas sweethart and biden cant compare to that. It seems like they are falling apart over there on the dem side since the convention last week.

Return to Top
#1036509 - 09/08/08 02:55 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... kms
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
'cut Biden'? That's not possible, is it? He picked him and the party ratified his choice. The ticket is set. 57 days and counting.

Return to Top
#1036516 - 09/08/08 02:59 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I think if biden recused himself it is. and by him coming out with a diametricly different opinion than obama, it just doesnt look good.

Return to Top
#1036518 - 09/08/08 03:03 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... kms
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
....in those cigar smoke filled good old boy back rooms I bet there is talk of how to replace Biden with Clinton......

Return to Top
#1036520 - 09/08/08 03:04 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Yes it does look like he an remove himself.

Return to Top
#1036522 - 09/08/08 03:05 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
omgosh, do you guys really think something like this could happen????? Wouldn't that make Obama and the Democrats look completely foolish? I mean, seriously, you don't really think this could happen, do you?

Return to Top
#1036523 - 09/08/08 03:06 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
At this point, nothing would surprise me...all they want to do is WIN!

Return to Top
#1036525 - 09/08/08 03:09 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Just a little note here folks. I am not defending Biden being pro-choice, but I am defending the rationale behind his position, in so far as, not all pro-choice folks deny that conception is when life begins, nor for that matter, do they all look favorably on abortion. Some pro-choice folks, at least the ones who are not in denial about biological life, believe that even though life begins at conception, it should still rest with a woman's right to choose.

No I am not flipflopping, you all know my position, but unless I am missing something here, (like if Biden stated that life did not begin at conception and then saying it did), Biden is otherwise consistent with the pro-choice position.

Return to Top
#1036550 - 09/08/08 03:32 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... TheManofSteel
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
"I'm prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception. But that is my judgment," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press." "For me to impose that judgment on everyone else who is equally and maybe even more devout than I am seems to me is inappropriate in a pluralistic society."
As a matter of fairness, that's what he said and why.

fwiw, I would say the same thing for the same reasons. As I've said before, I'm PRO(in favor of)-life. But whether someone chooses to have an abortion or not is between them and their God.

Return to Top
#1036556 - 09/08/08 03:39 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I agree Truff.

I am against abortion, but do not agree with legislating against it. I am against it being used for birth control, but there are times that it may be necessary, and it then becomes a decision that the prospective parents (both of them) need to make. It is between them, their faith, and their doctor.

Return to Top
#1036573 - 09/08/08 03:52 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Snow Bunny
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
well, two out of three ain't bad, right Meatloaf?

Return to Top
#1036763 - 09/08/08 06:45 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Quote:
"I'm prepared as a matter of faith to accept that life begins at the moment of conception. But that is my judgment," Biden said on NBC's "Meet the Press." For me to impose that judgment on everyone else who is equally and maybe even more devout than I am seems to me is inappropriate in a pluralistic society "."
As a matter of fairness, that's what he said and why.

fwiw, I would say the same thing for the same reasons. As I've said before, I'm PRO(in favor of)-life. But whether someone chooses to have an abortion or not is between them and their God.

The problem with the bolded statement is that legislators do that all the time. It's called a law. Laws are no more than the majority imposing its ideas for behavior on the majority.

I have heard many "pro-choice" individuals indicate that abortion is wrong, but will not take a stand to end the practice. I don't understand how one can do that.

I have less problem with those who don't agree that life begins at conception, or that the woman's right to choose trumps the rights of the unborn child. At least those folks are acting consistently with their beliefs.

I have difficult time understanding why somone would be willing to vote for a candidate who is so reluctant to stand up for their beliefs.

Return to Top
#1036774 - 09/08/08 06:55 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... redsfan
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I saw part of Biden's interview yesterday. To me it seemed like he was trying to straddle the issue, but then again, I have never been a fan of Biden. It seemed like he was trying to appease both sides:

By religion I believe.......BUT
In law I believe.

To me it was just politics as usual, and that is how I see Biden - do/say anything to get elected.

Return to Top
#1036784 - 09/08/08 07:09 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Snow Bunny
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Wouldn't that make Obama and the Democrats look completely foolish?

Obama is doing well enough on that front without help from teh party. And Nielsen ratings have McCain garnering a higher number of viewers for his acceptance speech, and McCain is polling 10% ahead with those "likely to vote." Guess Obama will have to figure out where his office is in the Russell Building...

Return to Top
#1036793 - 09/08/08 07:16 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... redsfan
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: redsfan

I have heard many "pro-choice" individuals indicate that abortion is wrong, but will not take a stand to end the practice. I don't understand how one can do that.
I have difficult time understanding why somone would be willing to vote for a candidate who is so reluctant to stand up for their beliefs.

To your first point, take the matter of sexually explicit magazines/videos, for example. Do you understand how someone might think that material is wrong, but would still value freedom of speech more highly than their distaste for it?

To your second point, what's your take on Gov. Palin's disinclination to implement her personal beliefs in creationism, for example, in her state's public education system?

Return to Top
#1036806 - 09/08/08 07:21 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Hrothgar Geiger
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Quote:
To your second point, what's your take on Gov. Palin's disinclination to implement her personal beliefs in creationism, for example, in her state's public education system?

Your never going to get out of this corner! Are you saying that it would only be good if Palin required her public school systems to preach creationism? You know darn well your not, so you certainly can't be claiming that she does not stand up for her beliefs. Nice apples to oranges comparison....

F, needs serious improvement.

Return to Top
#1036827 - 09/08/08 07:32 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... redsfan
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I cannot force my beliefs on another person. That's why this pro-life person will not take a stand against abortion. Do I wish everyone agreed with me? Of course! But getting everyone to agree I'm right on abortion has about as much chance as getting everyone to vote the way I think they should.

As to your statement regarding
Quote:
understanding why somone would be willing to vote for a candidate who is so reluctant to stand up for their beliefs.
imo, it's not a candidate's job to stand up for their own beliefs. It's their job to represent the people who elect them.

Return to Top
#1036841 - 09/08/08 07:39 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
imo, it's not a candidate's job to stand up for their own beliefs. It's their job to represent the people who elect them.

If that's true, then what does it matter what beliefs a candidate has? Why do candidates even make known their beliefs?

Then you would conceive of legislators, presidents, as being more akin to floor traders than investment managers: dont' tell me how to invest, just execute my trades. Correct?

Return to Top
#1036860 - 09/08/08 07:44 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Quote:

TR - I am really in total agreement with the things you are saying...really I am, however on the statement above I'm not totally sure I agree or maybe I just don't understand.

IMHO a candidate has their views same as us... Isn't one of the reasons we come to like a candidate is b/c of their views. And since we don't live in a perfect world they are not going to please all of the peoples, so how is it that they can't stand up for their own personal belief's? Isn't this what made us like them so much in the first place? Just my thoughts.....

Return to Top
#1036882 - 09/08/08 07:53 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... KTMiteComply
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
It's a dank and dreary Monday and obviously, it's affected my brain.

Of course we need to know what a person's beliefs are. That's why we choose them to be the candidate.

Given that my beliefs are not going to line up 100% with Sinatra Fan's or kaytee's or any other posters, I have to find a candidate that agrees with MOST of what I believe.

In turn, the candidate must take into account the views of his constituancy when he votes on issues. If he chooses to vote his own beliefs over those of his constituency, he won't have a constituency for long.

Return to Top
#1036888 - 09/08/08 08:01 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
makes sense! Totally Agreed TR

Return to Top
#1036890 - 09/08/08 08:02 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
It's a dank and dreary Monday and obviously, it's affected my brain.

Of course we need to know what a person's beliefs are. That's why we choose them to be the candidate.

Given that my beliefs are not going to line up 100% with Sinatra Fan's or kaytee's or any other posters, I have to find a candidate that agrees with MOST of what I believe.

In turn, the candidate must take into account the views of his constituancy when he votes on issues. If he chooses to vote his own beliefs over those of his constituency, he won't have a constituency for long.

You aren't making sense. If you are electing him because of his/her ideas, then you are expecting those ideas to influence decisions made by your elected officials.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3