Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1037169 - 09/09/08 01:26 AM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: East Texas
Personally I think that evolution takes a lot more faith that creationism. I think that I'd rather say that there is a God out there who created everything that I see and know rather than try to understand that hundreds of species of plants and animals came from some kind of sludge and evolved into what we know today. There are two questions that I have in regard to evolution that no one has been able to satisfactorily answer.

1) Where did the sludge come from?
2) If apes evolved into humans...why do we still have apes? (And this could be adapted for any creature...)

The problem between evolution and faith is only for a overt for a person of faith if you are taking the stance as a person of faith in the literal belief that creation took place 12,000 years ago and no life evolved, as well as the randomness or pure chance of creative phenomena.

The problem between evolution and faith for both the evolutionist and a person of faith who is able to accept that life evolved over billions of years is purely revolving around random selection. Why? Because a person of monotheistic faith can accept that Genesis 1-12, which is prehistoric, is mostly allegorical in truth. But they cannot accept pure randomness of creation, mere chance that life in all of its inexpressible complexity simply happened by series of accidents.

Is there evidence against random selection? Yes, and it comes from a branch of science far broader and more encompassing than the biological sciences, the laws of which permeate every other branch of science, namely astrophysics.

In 1973, astrophysicist Brandon Carter provided to the scientific community the observation that every mathematical constant ever observed had the mathematical measurement precisely necessary for human life to have come into existence. Thisd principle is called in astrophysics "the Anthropic Principle" fromt eh greek "anthropos" which means "human." Any one constant off by the most minute of measurements would have resulted in a universe without human life. This points toward a purposeful universe, thus intelligent design, and apparently cannot coexist with a purely random universe.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1037171 - 09/09/08 01:30 AM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i believe in intelligent design. kind of hard to teach a science class because of it though.

Return to Top
#1037175 - 09/09/08 01:45 AM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

2) If apes evolved into humans...why do we still have apes?

Why wouldn't we still have apes?

Return to Top
#1037220 - 09/09/08 03:41 AM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Personally I think that evolution takes a lot more faith that creationism. I think that I'd rather say that there is a God out there who created everything that I see and know rather than try to understand that hundreds of species of plants and animals came from some kind of sludge and evolved into what we know today. There are two questions that I have in regard to evolution that no one has been able to satisfactorily answer.

1) Where did the sludge come from?
2) If apes evolved into humans...why do we still have apes? (And this could be adapted for any creature...)

I do not know about any sludge, but the reason we would still have apes is because not all apes in all locations would have been subject to the same conditions over the course of hundreds of thousands of years that would result in mutations and evolutionary changes. And nonetheless, as long as one can accept evolution but see the flaws of random selection, then evolution really will not cause a problem for an advocate of the theories of intelligent design.

Return to Top
#1037282 - 09/09/08 12:56 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... TheManofSteel
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
there appears to be hope for some of you.........

Return to Top
#1037292 - 09/09/08 01:03 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Hrothgar Geiger
Peepers Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

I been confused with both on occasion.

Return to Top
#1037375 - 09/09/08 01:38 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Hrothgar Geiger
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas

My general understanding is that when a species evolves into something else, it doesn't take a step backward and become the parent species again.

Return to Top
#1037381 - 09/09/08 01:41 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
didn't that happen in Planet of the Apes?

Return to Top
#1037385 - 09/09/08 01:42 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

My general understanding is that when a species evolves into something else, it doesn't take a step backward and become the parent species again.

Nonsense. Just look at some of the coolies posting in here

Return to Top
#1037389 - 09/09/08 01:43 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
does your potentially scientific understanding include the possibility that species from different areas undergo changes that other parts of the entire population don't? you know, like darwin's work showed?

could "apes" just be a shorthand for what exactly evolved? astralopithecus (sp?) isn't assumed to be a chimp.

Return to Top
#1037397 - 09/09/08 01:45 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
where did the apes come from?

Return to Top
#1037401 - 09/09/08 01:47 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Somehow it just seems appropriate to step in here and say 'Don't feed the monkeys!'

Return to Top
#1037405 - 09/09/08 01:48 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
where did the apes come from?

God invented them 6000 years ago.

Return to Top
#1037407 - 09/09/08 01:50 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Although scientists like to pooh-pooh the findings of scientist Rupert Sheldrake who hypothesized morphic resonance (because of the implications of extra-bodily consciousness), there have been observations of same species separated by distance (like living on separate islands and never coming into contact with eachother)evolving certain common and novel behaviors.

But Darwin also observed unique developments by closely-related species in different locals, even separated only by a few islands.

Return to Top
#1037411 - 09/09/08 01:51 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Truffle Royale
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
Somehow it just seems appropriate to step in here and say 'Don't feed the monkeys!'

there are a number of questions that i've asked of you that you ignored.

also, that is very moderator-like of you to call me a monkey (and don't try to dodge it, j says "don't feed the animals" after my posts). moderators can't go on thin ice though i guess.

Return to Top
#1037423 - 09/09/08 01:56 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
my apologies to the J-man, I did fall off the wagon.....

Return to Top
#1037428 - 09/09/08 01:58 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... Pale Rider
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Yes Pale, direct all commentary to the general thread in here, or suffer the consequences.

Return to Top
#1038382 - 09/10/08 12:38 PM Re: Start to a Bad week for Obama...... East Texas
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

2 things.

1. I think you are begging the question about whether humans evolved from apes. My understanding of evolution was that humans and modern apes evolved from a common ancestor species.

2. Genetic adaptation, genetic mutation, even genetic drift do not 'replace' an entire species. Those mechanisms tend to create new species. (If they didn't, there would be only 1 kind of shark, only 1 kind of dog, etc.)

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3