Thread Options
#1036981 - 09/08/08 08:51 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Blade Scrapper
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Dexter Morgan
Quote:
I do not fit the feminist mold and wasn't aware that I needed to.
Of course you do, silly.

LOL!

I've not ever burned a bra in my life...they're too dang expensive!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1036985 - 09/08/08 08:52 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider RR Sarah
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
The secret is to pick a cheap bra, Sarah, not your latest vicky's acquisition.

Return to Top
#1037003 - 09/08/08 09:02 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Truffle Royale
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
don't y'all be coming to Texas and burn anything! its dry here and we have a burn ban going on!

Return to Top
#1037004 - 09/08/08 09:03 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Truffle Royale
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
The secret is to pick a cheap bra, Sarah, not your latest vicky's acquisition.

LOL Truff! I'll have to swing through the intimates section at WalMart...

Ron, I don't think you are giving women enough credit. While there may be many women that will be swayed by the fact that John McCain picked a woman as his running mate I think even more are swayed by the fact that they can relate to Sarah Palin.

Return to Top
#1037012 - 09/08/08 09:09 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider RR Sarah
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
"By far the most insulting aspect of Palin's candidacy is the McCain team's hope that placing a ballsy female on the ticket will attract some former Hillary supporters by stoking their gender-based resentments against Obama and the DNC."

Like it or not, a lot of women were (and are) devout supporters of Hillary's campaign for the singular reason that they wanted to see a woman in the white house. It seems clear that McCain's strategy is to woo those voters by offering the chance to have another female in office.

It's just more political manipulation and game-playing.

Return to Top
#1037014 - 09/08/08 09:10 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider straw
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
Quote:
I am willing to bet my retirement fund that Kaytee knows more than you do.

Weeellll now Straw, I am flattered! TYVM!

Pale...I didn't realize that was going on in Texas? Everytime I hear Texas it reminds me of this little girl here that told her GM that her GF wasn't in Tetas he was in Pissssabanya...

Return to Top
#1037018 - 09/08/08 09:14 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Blade Scrapper
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
Ok....I am just going to point out something that I'm sure you all already know...it's just that I don't see a reflection of it in many of the feminist writings (including the article Ron posted.) The following definition comes from dictionary.com for "feminism".

1. the doctrine advocating social, political, and all other rights of women equal to those of men.
2. (sometimes initial capital letter) an organized movement for the attainment of such rights for women.
3. feminine character.

No where in this definition does it indicate whether feminists have to be female or that they have to be strictly conservative or strictly liberal. I was actually offended, as a female, but the author's assumption that if I didn't support Hillary's liberal views of feminism that I am somehow not for the equality of women in the workplace (including government). This is patently false. I believe that women can do anything a man can do when it comes to achieving dreams and success. According to the definition above, that makes me a feminist...but I wouldn't dare to call myself one without that context because of the connotations now associated with the term.

God bless you, Ron...but put away your spoon for the day. I am tired and don't need more stirring.

Return to Top
#1037027 - 09/08/08 09:23 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider East Texas
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
I believe that women can do anything a man can do when it comes to achieving dreams and success. According to the definition above, that makes me a feminist...but I wouldn't dare to call myself one without that context because of the connotations now associated with the term.

That is the result of years of deliberate demonization of the term for partisan political purposes.

You are absolutely right that feminists do not have to be female. I think, though, that the reason you don't see that fact reflected in feminist writings is that it is taken for granted as being true.

Return to Top
#1037033 - 09/08/08 09:29 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider East Texas
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
you are so right ET!!

but Sarah cannot be a true feminist because she is not "down for the fight" according to Steinhem and company......

much like Condi Rice, Clarence Thomas, Thomas Sowell, Michael Steele and a whole host of African-Americans are not considered such because they don't support the race-baiting politics of Jackson, Sharpton, etc.............

Return to Top
#1037063 - 09/08/08 09:57 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Pale Rider
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Oreos. All of them.

Return to Top
#1037069 - 09/08/08 10:05 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Awesome
Originally Posted By: RR Sarah
I read the article but was turned off by the obvious partisan slant. I think what the left is having a problem with is the knowledge that there are more women out there that are like Sarah Palin then they thought. I do not fit the feminist mold and wasn't aware that I needed to.

my girlfriend told me "a lot of women are going to vote for her". the reason that the article was provocative to me was because of the apparent paradox of clinton voters and sexism: the number of people defecting from the issues that they presumably supported while either dodging overt sexism/decrying it is more than just mere statistical chance imo.

It's a banner day on BOL: Ron did some research!
Last edited by rainman; 09/08/08 10:06 PM.

Return to Top
#1037080 - 09/08/08 10:30 PM Re: Female Voters Please Consider rainman
Tigg Offline
Power Poster
Tigg
Looking for My Happy Place....
ET I cannot agree with your post enough!

My opinion only.

Return to Top
#1037116 - 09/09/08 12:11 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Becka Marr
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Becka Marr
"By far the most insulting aspect of Palin's candidacy is the McCain team's hope that placing a ballsy female on the ticket will attract some former Hillary supporters by stoking their gender-based resentments against Obama and the DNC."

Like it or not, a lot of women were (and are) devout supporters of Hillary's campaign for the singular reason that they wanted to see a woman in the white house. It seems clear that McCain's strategy is to woo those voters by offering the chance to have another female in office.

It's just more political manipulation and game-playing.

thank you.

Return to Top
#1037125 - 09/09/08 12:30 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
do I hear a very small violin?

Return to Top
#1037140 - 09/09/08 12:53 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Pale Rider
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
I'm still curious about this, so I will ask it for a third time!

Why is there so much media coverage of Palin's pregnant daughter, yet there is no news coverage of Biden's Son and Brother that are on the verge of getting indicted for fraud???

Return to Top
#1037143 - 09/09/08 12:54 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Bimmer
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
well, palin supports abstinence-only education. i'm not sure of what the ironic policy that biden is alleged to favor.

Return to Top
#1037146 - 09/09/08 12:57 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Bimmer
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
1) media bias

2) democrats have no ethical standards

3) Ron has used his powers to suppress any comment on the lobbyist in the Biden family

Return to Top
#1037150 - 09/09/08 01:00 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Hated By Some
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Awesome
well, palin supports abstinence-only education. i'm not sure of what the ironic policy that biden is alleged to favor.

Oh so Biden is Pro-Fraud???

(Ron, that was a rhetorical question! You see, he is a Democrat, so I already know the answer and don't expect a response)

Return to Top
#1037162 - 09/09/08 01:11 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Bimmer
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
bimmer, stick to caviar, bro. it was a simple question requiring an answer specifying a policy.

Return to Top
#1037172 - 09/09/08 01:30 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider East Texas
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
As "Awesome" suggested (in another thread), I'd like to address just three points from the article.

1. The author states, "The staunchly conservative Palin [As there's nothing evil about being a conservative, this is not a stinging indictment, but rather an unequivocal endorsement for conservatives.] not only opposes abortion rights (even in cases of rape or incest) [While the statement that Gov. Palin is "anti-abortion" is true, to be fair, that doesn't mean she's anti-choice. In truth, she's pro-life. While some may see this as a play on words, there is a major distinction. Those who are pro-life simply rule out abortion as an option, but all other choices remain. The extinction of an innocent life is not a solution (even in the case of rape or incest).], she also supports abstinence-only sex education [This is a legitimate alternative/addition to current sex education programs. If you abstain, you can not get pregnant & can not acquire a sexually-transmitted disease. It's very simple, but quite profound. Abstinence-only is as valid as any other sex education, and, as I stated in an different thread, it works 100% of the time it's put into practice.] and takes a strict free-market approach toward health care. [Why does the author consider this a problem? Competition is the driving force for business to produce better/less expensive products & services for consumers. Again, the author presents a positive attribute as if it were a negative.]"

2. The author continues, "Palin is abjectly unqualified to sit one heartbeat away from the presidency. She is less than two years into her first term as governor of a state with a population roughly equivalent to that of Baltimore or Fort Worth." [The level of hypocrisy in these two statements is incredulous. Sen. Obama has, not just less executive level experience than does Gov. Palin (albeit limited to mayoral and gubernatorial experience), he has NO executive level experience. Yet this is still not an "apples to apples" comparison, as we're not talking about Sen. Obama being "one heartbeat away." This the very epitome of the "pot calling the kettle black."]

3. The author ends her commentary with, "Am I suggesting that all of these setbacks for feminism are Palin's fault? Or Hillary's? [With these two women encompassing significant roles in this election cycle, why does the author consider it a "setback?"] Or that there is nothing at all to celebrate in their achievements? Of course not. Neither would I argue for a second that these smart, ambitious women shouldn't be pushing as hard as they can to get what they want out of life. But, as with any enduring movement, feminism has its shining moments and its discouraging ones. I just wish someone had warned me ahead of time that this election season would wind up falling with such a thud into the latter category." [Once again, the author bereaves these events as "discouraging" rather than advancement. What a despondent and pessimistic approach.]

Return to Top
#1037173 - 09/09/08 01:35 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Dallas Tide
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Abstinence-only is as valid as any other sex education

i know of a one-sample case study where it failed.

Quote:
it works 100% of the time it's put into practice.

other than that, how was the play mrs. lincoln?

dallas tide, how did having an entire presidential term's worth of executive experience work out for w? (again, the issue shouldn't be "experience" it should be capacity for office)

Return to Top
#1037178 - 09/09/08 01:52 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Hated By Some
Dallas Tide Offline
100 Club
Dallas Tide
Dallas, TX
I did not suggest the education program itself was 100% fool-proof. It's the actual implementation of the practice of abstinence that works. Just because the information is ignored, doesn't invalidate what's being taught. I find it difficult to believe you can't perceive the difference.

So, instead of defending your position, you default to a snide remark? Interesting.

I will concede your parenthetical statement with a slight revision: the issue shouldn't be "experience" alone, it should also consider the capacity for office. I understand sizing a candidate up for their potential, but just as when hiring staff, do/would you discount experience altogether? You can disparage Pres. Bush's experience all you want, but I would prefer those with experience over those without. Capicity is good, but experience gives you a measuring stick.

Return to Top
#1037181 - 09/09/08 02:01 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Dallas Tide
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
It's the actual implementation of the practice of abstinence that works.

and it is the sheer impossibility of it being adhered to is why the policy is a joke.

Return to Top
#1037182 - 09/09/08 02:02 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Dallas Tide
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Ron is on the ropes!!!

Return to Top
#1037184 - 09/09/08 02:05 AM Re: Female Voters Please Consider Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some