Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread Options
#999522 - 07/18/08 08:20 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i'm not as cynical as you, amlf. if every decision were easy, there wouldn't be judges. respect the fact that they respect and care for their job.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#999537 - 07/18/08 08:26 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Citizen McCain
i'm not as cynical as you, amlf. if every decision were easy, there wouldn't be judges. respect the fact that they respect and care for their job.

never implied I didn't. I just don't respect those judges who take broad liberties with interpreting the consitution with implications (penumbras and emanations for example) that do not exist in it aka activist judges

Return to Top
#999544 - 07/18/08 08:31 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
it does give us something to discuss while we deliver pizzas or think about our boyfriend during the day though.

Return to Top
#999583 - 07/18/08 08:49 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
don't anybody even suggest that there is no value to pizza delivery. Deep philosophical ponderings do take place while en route.

Return to Top
#999599 - 07/18/08 08:59 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
By the way Ron, one of the hallmarks of the Constitution and check and balances is that the Founders were in fact quite cynical and distrusting of government, like I am.

Just look at the horrendous push by Pelosi to enact the "Fairness Doctrine." If that is not a push to overstep congressional authority and debase the Right to Free Speech, then simply nothing is.

Return to Top
#999649 - 07/18/08 09:41 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
who is truly being hurt here? the rest of the constitution is protecting the people.
hamilton

you're the one who said hurt, not me.

Quote:
Congress is more remote, less accountable to local interests

is this really attributable to a broad constitution?

fwiw, anything that the general welfare clause would be ineffective for, the commerce clause has been and is a proxy for. the power in the people is in voting for their elected officials. we don't vote for people who are going to screw us. sure, we may disagree with philosophies, but i truly believe that they take their job seriously.

"who is truly being hurt here?" the rest of the constitution is protecting the people. Quote from Ron Mexico in #999461 at 12:44 pm.

Hamilton believed in a strong central government, but not this argument, since this notion was created by the Supreme Court during the Depression. But nice try.

Return to Top
#999652 - 07/18/08 09:43 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Well fortunately, the framers were extremely skeptical of human nature, power and corruption. They built a system to limit the majority and any one branch from exerting too much power, which eventually corrupts.

They also set up a federal system to prevent tyranny from the central government, which has been lost thanks to you and your ilk.

But at least you are not cynical.

Sorry AML, didn't see your post until after I posted this.
Last edited by straw; 07/18/08 09:43 PM.
Return to Top
#1037174 - 09/09/08 01:44 AM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: TheManofSteel

Just look at the horrendous push by Pelosi to enact the "Fairness Doctrine." If that is not a push to overstep congressional authority and debase the Right to Free Speech, then simply nothing is.

What do the big supporters of the Fairness Doctrine have to say about Oprah refusing to have Sarah Palin on her show???

What do you mean they haven't said anything about it?!?!?!?

Return to Top
#1037191 - 09/09/08 02:11 AM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Bimmer
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
she is down for the cause Bimmer!!!

Return to Top
#1037207 - 09/09/08 02:41 AM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Just look at the horrendous push by Pelosi to enact the "Fairness Doctrine."

LOL I think a "horrendous push" would have to include at least a bill being introduced to do that, wouldn't it? The only "horrendous push" has been from right-wing talk radio to convince listeners that such a thing is before Congress.

Return to Top
#1037213 - 09/09/08 02:57 AM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Oklahoma Senator James Inhofe ignited a hullabaloo by noting he'd overheard Hillary Clinton and Barbara Boxer discussing a 'legislative fix' for talk radio. The two senators denied it but Feinstein quickly weighed in, saying on Fox News that talk radio was too 'explosive,' pushing people, as she put it, to 'extreme views without a lot of information.'

Feinstein added that she was going to look closely at restoring the Fairness Doctrine. John Kerry had no hesitation: "I think the Fairness Doctrine ought to be there," he said bluntly.

Al Gore is another leading Democrat who thinks we need to regulate the airwaves.

If filibusters and vetoes can be overcome, the fairness doctrine will return...................

Return to Top
#1037217 - 09/09/08 03:17 AM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
If filibusters and vetoes can be overcome

No need to filibuster or veto a bill that isn't introduced! This is just a ploy to scare people.

Return to Top
#1037278 - 09/09/08 12:55 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
they scare me!

Return to Top
#1037580 - 09/09/08 03:26 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:

No need to filibuster or veto a bill that isn't introduced! This is just a ploy to scare people.

So let's get it on record, Yoss - are you confident that there will be no effort to implement a "fairness doctrine" if a Democrat sits in the White House with a Democrat-controlled House and Senate? (This is your credibility on the line.)

Side question - if there was to be such a bill introduced, would you support or oppose it?

Return to Top
#1037588 - 09/09/08 03:31 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
is you or is you not my constituents!?!?!?!!!!

Return to Top
#1037604 - 09/09/08 03:38 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Pale Rider
A_G Offline
10K Club
who-hoo!!

who cares.

oil is under $105/barrel. Now when will gas prices reflect the drop??? Cause they sure as heck are higher than the last time oil was under $105...

Return to Top
#1037613 - 09/09/08 03:44 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Quote:

So let's get it on record, Yoss - are you confident that there will be no effort to implement a "fairness doctrine" if a Democrat sits in the White House with a Democrat-controlled House and Senate? (This is your credibility on the line.)

Side question - if there was to be such a bill introduced, would you support or oppose it?

Don't hold your breath for a response, and for that matter, one that does not parse words like "implement or enact, you wrote implement not enact, so ..."

Return to Top
#1037616 - 09/09/08 03:45 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet A_G
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
yeah...prices are getting way too low...now they're (OPEC) talkin' about cutting back on production

Return to Top
#1037618 - 09/09/08 03:45 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
So let's get it on record, Yoss - are you confident that there will be no effort to implement a "fairness doctrine"

So, I'm supposed to foretell the future. The problem with your question is that the dittoheads ALREADY believe that there has been such an "effort" even without a bill being introduced! Sorry, I know a set-up when I see one. By the way, I don't consider you to be a fit judge of my credibility or anyone else's.

As far as whether I would support a hypothetical bill, I don't see the need for one, because even though there are abuses that occur, the marketplace of ideas stil works pretty well.

Return to Top
#1037621 - 09/09/08 03:48 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet TheManofSteel
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
one that does not parse words like "implement or enact

Yes, it's obvious you're not a big fan of accuracy.

Return to Top
#1037623 - 09/09/08 03:50 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Yossarian
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So, I'm supposed to foretell the future. The problem with your question is that the dittoheads ALREADY believe that there has been such an "effort" even without a bill being introduced!

As Bill Ayers might say, you don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows. A LOT of PROMINENT DEMOCRATS have been quoted as very interested in re-implementing the fairness doctrine. Pelosi refuses to allow a vote on a bill to stop any re-implementation. So, talk all you want about there not being an "official" effort. We can see where this is going as soon as Pelosi doesn't have a veto to contend with.

Quote:
Sorry, I know a set-up when I see one.

No, what you know is the truth and you're unwilling to admit it.

Quote:
By the way, I don't consider you to be a fit judge of my credibility or anyone else's.

Fair enough - but you're the one unwilling to answer questions.

Quote:
As far as whether I would support a hypothetical bill, I don't see the need for one, because even though there are abuses that occur, the marketplace of ideas stil works pretty well.

I'll eagerly await your opposition when the effort becomes official.

Return to Top
#1037642 - 09/09/08 03:57 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
"the marketplace of ideas"

hmmmmmmmmm

that is a pet phrase of someone on the radio from 10 to 1 eastern, just sayin.............

Return to Top
#1037644 - 09/09/08 03:58 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Hey isn't Dittoheads a Rush term? I didn't realize you listened to Rush, Yoss.

Return to Top
#1037651 - 09/09/08 04:01 PM Re: Obama Is Good, Ron Is His Prophet Jokerman
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Pelosi refuses to allow a vote on a bill to stop any re-implementation.

Also known as refusing to go along with the GOP election year ploy to upset the sheep.

Quote:
you're the one unwilling to answer questions

I do answer fair questions. I even respons to your setup questions, although you may not like the answer.

Return to Top
#1037657 - 09/09/08 04:03 PM Re: Obama Is God, Ron Is His Prophet kms
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: kms
Hey isn't Dittoheads a Rush term? I didn't realize you listened to Rush, Yoss.

It is a Limbaugh term for those that don't think for themselves. And, no, I don't listen to him for the same reason I don't read the National Enquirer.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6