Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1038507 - 09/10/08 02:13 PM Re: Good one Obama! kms
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
I agree with you Jay - she has to get out there stumping on her own. The media is really giving them some slack about the lack of individual campaigning right now, saying that they are campaigning together to ride the wave of popularity they've had coming out of the convention.

Tomorrow will be her first test when she sits down with Charles Gibson for a one-on-one. We'll see how she does.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1038512 - 09/10/08 02:17 PM Re: Good one Obama! Truffle Royale
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
I'm surprised she's been out as much as she has. McCain is on his own today. I think she finally got a chance to go home and be with her son who ships out tomorrow. After listening to moms, even BOL ones, lament their sons starting school, I can hardly imagine what she will be feeling tomorrow. For her to do her first interview right after she says good bye to him is unfathomable to me.

That's a really interesting observation Truff, I hadn't thought of that. Makes you wonder if this is very carefully scripted by their campaign.

Return to Top
#1038529 - 09/10/08 02:23 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America

Return to Top
#1038544 - 09/10/08 02:30 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
kms, for those of us blocked at work, what do the ads say?

Pooh, of course it was part of the when and the why. I'm sure it will come up in the questioning. It will reinforce the image of her as a working mom. But that would have happened if she did the interview today, tomorrow or next week. She is real and does know firsthand what it's really like for women today. I admire her chutzpah doing it on the day her firstborn ships out to Iraq. I'm sure I won't be the only one.

Return to Top
#1038546 - 09/10/08 02:31 PM Re: Good one Obama! HappyGilmore
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore

While that term may be used frequently in Nebraska, where pigs are raised, I find it hard to believe that a man born in Hawaii, raised in Indonesia, and living in Chicago would use this phrase without some prompting for the visual it will leave people with.

Perhaps he heard it at home growing up?? His grandparents were from Kansas.

The Palin camp needs to get thicker skin.
Last edited by grmasterb; 09/10/08 02:31 PM.
Return to Top
#1038549 - 09/10/08 02:33 PM Re: Good one Obama! Truffle Royale
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
it has sarah palin saying what she said about hockey moms and pit bulls and then obama makig his statement about pigs. and then katie couric says something about the continued sexism.

the it says obama ready to lead - no
Obama ready to smear - yes

Return to Top
#1038551 - 09/10/08 02:33 PM Re: Good one Obama! grmasterb
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
There are millions of words and at least as many analogical phrases in the English language. It doesn't matter who used it before. BO should have chosen a different one. You know, taken the high road he said he would in this political battle. Lead by example, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

Return to Top
#1038557 - 09/10/08 02:39 PM Re: Good one Obama! Truffle Royale
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
There are millions of words and at least as many analogical phrases in the English language. It doesn't matter who used it before. BO should have chosen a different one. You know, taken the high road he said he would in this political battle. Lead by example, etc., etc., ad nauseum.

I think reasonable people understand the context in which Obama was using the phrase. Besides, do you think McCain was calling Hillary a pig when he used the phrase to attack her policies?

Return to Top
#1038558 - 09/10/08 02:40 PM Re: Good one Obama! #Just Jay
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Just Jay
Lets hear the women talk then and defend herself for a change, vs creating the "Palin Truth Squad" which I am sorry but makes our party look as silly and desparate.

It's an old saying, and people have got to get past this silly caca and move on to issues and differences, not a bunch of grown adults acting like childish fools.

All she has been doing thus far is repeating snippits of the convention speech that wa sprepared for her.

I am still waiting to finally hear her speak for herself.

I agree with JJ. I want to see everyone get past the horsecrap and get down to the issues. I am sold on her character, but I want to see what her positions are with respect to a number of fiscal policy and foreign affairs issues. I do not care that she may have to learn some foreign policy or be coached, but I want to see how well she can communicate the issues to the American people.

Return to Top
#1038560 - 09/10/08 02:41 PM Re: Good one Obama! HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a man born in Hawaii, raised in Indonesia, and living in Chicago would use this phrase

Why? It's a phrase in common usage. Did you see the link to the book with that title or to Cheney's use of the phrase four years ago? Do you think Obama does not read or follow politics?

The point he was making is that McCain's policies are just Bush's policies with minimal disguise. The "pig" is Bush's policies.

Return to Top
#1038574 - 09/10/08 02:47 PM Re: Good one Obama! TheManofSteel
grmasterb Offline
Diamond Poster
grmasterb
Indiana
Originally Posted By: TheManofSteel
Lets hear the women talk then and defend herself for a change, vs creating the "Palin Truth Squad" which I am sorry but makes our party look as silly and desparate.

It's an old saying, and people have got to get past this silly caca and move on to issues and differences, not a bunch of grown adults acting like childish fools.

All she has been doing thus far is repeating snippits of the convention speech that wa sprepared for her.

I agree with JJ. I want to see everyone get past the horsecrap and get down to the issues. I am sold on her character, but I want to see what her positions are with respect to a number of fiscal policy and foreign affairs issues. I do not care that she may have to learn some foreign policy or be coached, but I want to see how well she can communicate the issues to the American people.

MofS, this post is long overdue. Thanks! I agree. I don't need to feel a personal connection to Palin. I need her to explain to me why I should feel comfortable with her being a heartbeat away from the presidency. I don't feel the GOP has done anything thus far to address this concern.

Return to Top
#1038581 - 09/10/08 02:49 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Except for the deliberate pause to allow the worshippers, who obviously got the reference, to cheer as though they had just won the lottery. IMO the phrase was specifically to allow for plausible deniability.

Return to Top
#1038596 - 09/10/08 02:58 PM Re: Good one Obama! TheManofSteel
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race

TMOS, her positions are irrelevant. The only positions that matter ar McCain's. Her job is to support him.

She needs to be communicating his positions to the American people, not her own.

I have similar feelings about Senator Biden's positions. Things he may have been for or against in the past do not matter - only Obama's positions count, because in the end, his will be the policies implemented if he becomes President!!!!!!!!

(Hey, that exclamation point key is fun!!!!!!!!!)

Return to Top
#1038600 - 09/10/08 03:00 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Yoss, you could be absolutely right. The point I'm trying to make is that, whether or not it's common place or right, it was a poor choice for BO to use it. He could have made his point in any number of different ways. There are lots of people like me who think he did it as a slam.

btw, I've never heard that phrase before and I grew up in Chicago and went to a good college and .....

Return to Top
#1038606 - 09/10/08 03:05 PM Re: Good one Obama! redsfan
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: redsfan

TMOS, her positions are irrelevant. The only positions that matter ar McCain's. Her job is to support him.

She needs to be communicating his positions to the American people, not her own.

I have similar feelings about Senator Biden's positions. Things he may have been for or against in the past do not matter - only Obama's positions count, because in the end, his will be the policies implemented if he becomes President!!!!!!!!

(Hey, that exclamation point key is fun!!!!!!!!!)

The presumption, however, is that her positions, or at least the very important positions, woul dbe consistent with McCain's, or why bother having her on the ticket. So yes, communicate McCain's positions, but she should be sharing most of them anyway.

Return to Top
#1038612 - 09/10/08 03:11 PM Re: Good one Obama! redsfan
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
It's very true that we are not electing per-se the VP's. But's let's be logical here.

McCain is what - 72? So there is a possibility that something could happen to him and Palin would then become President.

And here is something that no one is talking about, but unfortunately could become a reality. Barak Obama is African American. Unfortunately, there are still many people in this country who still have major problems with accepting black people. Even though we are not hearing anything about it, don't you think that the Secret Service and FBI are up to their ears following up on leads to the wacko's out there who would seek to harm either him or his family?

In reality, in this election, we do need to consider the positions of both Palin and Biden.

Return to Top
#1038628 - 09/10/08 03:16 PM Re: Good one Obama! Truffle Royale
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Yoss, you could be absolutely right. The point I'm trying to make is that, whether or not it's common place or right, it was a poor choice for BO to use it. He could have made his point in any number of different ways. There are lots of people like me who think he did it as a slam.

btw, I've never heard that phrase before and I grew up in Chicago and went to a good college and .....

You tell him T-Bone!

I have listened to what and, more importantly, how Obama made that statement. It was addessed directly at Sarah Palin. No question about it.

Return to Top
#1038633 - 09/10/08 03:18 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Personally, I think Obama is smart enough to know that he could hide behind a folksy proverb and everyone would clearly understand the connection.

Return to Top
#1038637 - 09/10/08 03:19 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Oh yeah that was diercted at her, he could have used so many other phrases but chose that one.

Return to Top
#1038669 - 09/10/08 03:38 PM Re: Good one Obama! Truffle Royale
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
There are lots of people like me who think he did it as a slam.

Why do you think that? Here is the quote:

"Now think about it, these are the same folks that have been in charge for the last eight years," he said.

"You can put lipstick on a pig. It's still a pig. You can wrap up up an old fish in a piece of paper and call it change. It's still going to stink after eight years. We've had enough."

Was she in charge for the last eight years? No, Bush was. Was Obama also calling her a fish? Was he saying we've "had enough" of her after a few weeks? Or was he talking about the claim that McCain's minimal differences with Bush are just a disguise for the same policies of the last eight years?

Quote:
I've never heard that phrase before

That's why I posted the links to the book and Cheney's use of the term, in case there was anyone that wasn't familar with the phrase.

Return to Top
#1038696 - 09/10/08 03:49 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Yoss - Palin had just used the Hockey Mom/Pit Bull lipstick reference. If she hadn't, no one would be calling Obama on the carpet for it. But because she did, and because of how it was said, well - if it smells like a pig and looks like a pig, it most likely IS a pig.

Return to Top
#1038714 - 09/10/08 03:55 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)

You tell him T-Bone!

I have listened to what and, more importantly, how Obama made that statement. It was addessed directly at Sarah Palin. No question about it.

Neither have I, oh and my hubby grew up in Chicago and his grandparents are from Kansas...if only he was born in Hawaii...maybe then this would be "just a phrase"...

Return to Top
#1038723 - 09/10/08 03:58 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a man born in Hawaii, raised in Indonesia, and living in Chicago would use this phrase

Why? It's a phrase in common usage. Did you see the link to the book with that title or to Cheney's use of the phrase four years ago? Do you think Obama does not read or follow politics?

The point he was making is that McCain's policies are just Bush's policies with minimal disguise. The "pig" is Bush's policies.

can you point to a time when he said it publicly before Palin was picked? This is the same spin people made when he was using subtle words to bring race into the public eye, while claiming it shouldn't be about race...

Sounds like he hooked at least one person...

Return to Top
#1038730 - 09/10/08 04:00 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
if it smells like a pig and looks like a pig, it most likely IS a pig.

And if it smells and looks like an election year, it most likely is an election year. This is not the last partisan attack we'll see (from both sides). It happens every four years.

Return to Top
#1038732 - 09/10/08 04:01 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
^^^agreed

Return to Top
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4