Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Thread Options
#1039109 - 09/10/08 06:23 PM Re: Good one Obama! HappyGilmore
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Originally Posted By: Happy Gilmore
radio at lunch today said that Obama apologized is his words were taken out of context, he did not mean to imply that he was speaking of Ms. Palin...

Now, how could he possibly need to apologize, Yoss already stated that no one thinks he meant anything other than he was talking about Bush's policies???

Come on Happy, you know it's because of the unfounded attacks by the conservative blogosphere, NPR, FoxNews FauxNews, etc.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1039117 - 09/10/08 06:27 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Of course, no one mistakes those statements, clearly about policy or a proposal, with ones that are clearly about a person...

Actually a whole bunch of you on this thread have done just that!
So did the wildly cheering worshippers.

Return to Top
#1039124 - 09/10/08 06:31 PM Re: Good one Obama! Blade Scrapper
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
I don't know why anyone thinks it was unusual for the crown to cheer, calling McCain's warmed-over Bush policies "putting lipstick on a pig" is clearly an applause line.

Here is some honesty in all this:

"McCain ally Mike Huckabee took Obama's side on the issue, saying he didn't think it was a swipe at Palin.

"It's an old expression, and I'm going to have to cut Obama some slack on that one. I do not think he was referring to Sarah Palin; he didn't reference her. If you take the two sound bites together, it may sound like it," he said on Fox's "Hannity and Colmes."

Return to Top
#1039376 - 09/10/08 08:41 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Creditcop Offline
Diamond Poster
Creditcop
Indiana
Here another interesting attack on Sarah Palin by a democratic woman, the South Carolina Democratic Party Chair.

South Carolina Democratic chairwoman Carol Fowler sharply attacked Sarah Palin today, saying John McCain had chosen a running mate " whose primary qualification seems to be that she hasn’t had an abortion.”

This isn't an attack on difference in policy, it appears to me to be a personal attack. Keep this up dems and you will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

Here is the link: http://www.politico.com/blogs/jonathanma...n_.html?showall

Return to Top
#1039439 - 09/10/08 09:50 PM Re: Good one Obama! Creditcop
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Originally Posted By: Creditcop

This isn't an attack on difference in policy, it appears to me to be a personal attack. Keep this up dems and you will snatch defeat from the jaws of victory.

I agree with you Creditcop. The Dems have definitely gone on the attack, but it's not about policy; it's about personality. I think the middle-of-the-roaders that need to swayed, will be put off by this type of tactic.

McCain was in Philly for a few hours this afternoon. He visited a farmer's market that has been in the heart of center city since the late 1800's. He was there to talk about small business and what he feels they can do for them. The largely African-American crowd chanted Obama, trying to drown him out. If a bunch of hockey-moms chanted Palin at an Obama rally, what do you think would happen.

Return to Top
#1039455 - 09/10/08 10:01 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
The largely African-American crowd chanted Obama, trying to drown him out. If a bunch of hockey-moms chanted Palin at an Obama rally, what do you think would happen.

Other than it being covered on the news, no. What would happen?

Return to Top
#1039461 - 09/10/08 10:05 PM Re: Good one Obama! Hrothgar Geiger
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
You don't think the Obama camp would pull out the race card? I think I have seen Philadelphia have such a black/white divide on everything anymore, that -that is how I tend to look at things there.

Return to Top
#1039473 - 09/10/08 10:10 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Quote:
If a bunch of hockey-moms chanted Palin at an Obama rally, what do you think would happen.

The sky would turn purple? Water would run uphill? I'm not sure because, although I can imagine what happened happening, I can't imagine it happening with hocky moms.

Return to Top
#1039475 - 09/10/08 10:12 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
And you don't consider phrasing your comment as "the largely African-American crowd" to be playing the race card?

Return to Top
#1039482 - 09/10/08 10:15 PM Re: Good one Obama! Hrothgar Geiger
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
I'm not trying to - I am just stating fact that those in attendance were mainly African-American.

Return to Top
#1039486 - 09/10/08 10:18 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Of course you are. So, if the audience at the Reading Terminal market was 'mainly African American', then I suppose they constituted the 'small business owner' audience that Sen. McCain was addressing.

Return to Top
#1039496 - 09/10/08 10:30 PM Re: Good one Obama! Snow Bunny
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: Pooh (The Bear)
Originally Posted By: Creditcop

I agree with you Creditcop. The Dems have definitely gone on the attack, but it's not about policy; it's about personality. I think the middle-of-the-roaders that need to swayed, will be put off by this type of tactic.

McCain was in Philly for a few hours this afternoon. He visited a farmer's market that has been in the heart of center city since the late 1800's. He was there to talk about small business and what he feels they can do for them. The largely African-American crowd chanted Obama, trying to drown him out. If a bunch of hockey-moms chanted Palin at an Obama rally, what do you think would happen.

Well, keep in mind that in Philly, the Democrats hand out "Street Money" to the ward bosses so they get the people to vote!

Return to Top
#1039504 - 09/10/08 10:48 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
Bobby Boucher Offline
Power Poster
Bobby Boucher
Down Yonder
Another take...

IMO these particular words absolutely were deliberately chosen in order to take a swipe at Palin and McCain while leaving deniability that that was not the case. And, in addition to the Palin swipe, I'm pretty sure he was referring to McCain as the OLD fish.

Here's the logic: Everytime (yes, every single time) he speaks he tries to beat into everyone's head that McCain/Palin = Bush's failed policies. So now I'm to believe that he is talking about Bush's policies and not equating them with the Repub ticket?

So, the equation again:

Bush's failed policies (was clearly the topic) = Palin (pig with lipstick)/McCain (old fish that smells)

These two particular phrases, out of all of the possible phrases that could be used to express the same idea, just happened to be picked by his speechwriters with no devious intent? Here's a different but similar phrase, just off the top of my head: A donkey can dress himself in the finest gear, find a world-class jockey to ride him and enter the Derby, but when it's over it will be abundantly clear that he is just a finely-dressed, unqualified pretender, and an a$$.

Return to Top
#1039524 - 09/10/08 11:08 PM Re: Good one Obama! Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Of course, no one mistakes those statements, clearly about policy or a proposal, with ones that are clearly about a person...

Actually a whole bunch of you on this thread have done just that!

the opinion and booty analogy comes to mind...

Return to Top
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4