Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#10428 - 02/14/02 04:28 PM Debit Card/OD Protection - Right of Offset
J Hunt Offline
100 Club
Phoenix, AZ
Our overdraft protection line agreements include a right of setoff clause. Access methods include checks, debit cards, ATM cards. We are now seeing a "critical warning" on our LaserPro loan checklist stating that, per Reg Z 226.12(d), this is prohibited. In my reading of the Reg and the Commentary, the prohibition is specific to credit cards. Can anyone direct me to where I would find a reference that indicates prohibiting Right of Setoff when DEBIT cards are an access method? We do not offer Credit Card products. Thanks!!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#10429 - 02/14/02 06:42 PM Re: Debit Card/OD Protection - Right of Offset
Compliance Poster Offline
Gold Star
It can be found in the Commentary 226.23(d)(3). The offset prohibition apples in overdraft check plans if the creditor has issued a debit or credit card that may be used at ATM locations to access the overdraft credit account directly or indirectly (by withdrawing funds from a deposit account connected with the overdraft plan). The Federal Reserve has stated its belief that placing a hold on funds in a cardholder’s deposit account in connection with indebtedness arising under a credit card plan would, since the effect is the same as that of an offset, contravene the rule prohibiting offsets.

Patrick T. Hubbs, CRCM, CBCO

Return to Top
#10430 - 02/14/02 06:56 PM Re: Debit Card/OD Protection - Right of Offset
J Hunt Offline
100 Club
Phoenix, AZ
Thanks for the response. I have sent the information to our legal area to review how we want to change our loan docs.

Return to Top