BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1052332 - 09/28/08 01:13 AM '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regulation
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Videos showing Repubs trying to make legislation to prevent what has in fact happened, and Democrats doing their damndest to prevent that regulation. But Obama criticizes the Republicans and Bush for an attitude of lax regulation.

Open your eyes people!!!

http://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2008/09/memory_lane_lynching_franklin.html

Yeah, now give me your totally weak horsecrap that it is from American Thinker. The proof is in the pudding!!!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1052341 - 09/28/08 09:05 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regulation TheManofSteel
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I think there is plenty of blame to spread around as it appears there were a mixture of Republicans and Democrats that were both for and against additional regulations:

http://uspolitics.about.com/b/2008/09/18...did-nothing.htm

Sorry - but I cannot accept a simplistic one-sided "It's THEIR fault" mentality. That has always been political bullcrap and all it does is provide convenient excuses for people who were either asleep at the switch or in bed with the enemy.

On a slightly different note - looks like we all chose the right line of work - regulatory compliance!

I'm still trying to draft the COFFEE Act - Compliance Officers Full and Fearless Employment Effort.

Any volunteers?

Return to Top
#1052345 - 09/28/08 12:59 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Princess Romeo
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Bonnie M

Sorry - but I cannot accept a simplistic one-sided "It's THEIR fault" mentality.

Except that the Democrats are hauling ass overtime to do just that, as we saw in the debates where Obama kept pounding the "lax regulatory framework" mantra over and over, as did Nancy Pelosi:

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelo...2008-09-16.html

They are far more concerned with winning the election at all costs, not country first by any measure.

Return to Top
#1052347 - 09/28/08 01:14 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regulation Princess Romeo
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Ok, I have mulled this over for a few hours and feel the need to respond.

My issue with any video that has been "sliced and diced" as this that it may or may not show the full truth. Slicing and dicing videos, speeches etc are generally done to prove a point, the opinion and point of view of the person or group presenting the video or soundbite. I have the same issue when a sentence or two is pulled out from a speech to prove someone's point of view. Show me what was said before and after - - better yet let me read or hear the entire speech, then I can have the full picture to base my opinion on. Example, I give a speech and someone who wants to prove I am a bigot pulls out a sentence that says
Quote:
All white middle class men hate women
From that one might assume that is what I really believe and that I am myself a bigot. But the sentence before and after stated
Quote:
A recent study by Group XXX showed the following. All white middle class men hate women. Please be clear that other studies conducted by Groups ABC and XYZ have found that to be false. I myself do not believe the Study by XXX to be valid
Sure changes that once sentence doesn't it.

I would venture an opinion that in 04 there were many from both sides espousing the views in this video, republicans that felt Fannie and Freddie were sound and democrats that felt the opposite. As Bonnie stated, there is enough blame to go around.

After all if we believed everything we read and hear, one would believe that Bimmer dislikes me since his avatar says he wants to imagine a world without liberals and I am one. But I'm sure that is not the case, in fact Bimmer doesn't even know me and probably has little, if any opinion of me.

No one party, no one group of people, no one person has all the answers and all the truths. JMO

Return to Top
#1052393 - 09/28/08 10:25 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regulation corkygirl
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
Quote:
No one party, no one group of people, no one person has all the answers and all the truths.
Truer words were never spoken.

Unfortunately, campaigns in general and this one in particular, are run on who is responsible for the misfortune and who will save us from it.

As long as the Democrats think it's fair to blame the Republicans for everything that's gone wrong in the last 8 years, it's necessary to bring up specific instances to prove them wrong in this attitude. Regarding GSE 2005, even Clinton admitted the his party was at fault for it not passing.

But corky's right when she says no one party is responsible for where we are today, I think both parties are doing the nation a huge disservice by harping on what was done wrong rather than focusing on what each candidate will do to move forward.

Return to Top
#1052395 - 09/28/08 10:40 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regulation Truffle Royale
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
rather than focusing on what each candidate will do to move forward.

john mccain chose sarah palin to be the #2 executive in the government, truf. he wanted to choose andy cuomo head the sec. by all means, let's talk about his "judgement".

Return to Top
#1052399 - 09/29/08 12:07 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Hated By Some
Bimmer Offline
Diamond Poster
Bimmer
Wherever the plane lands
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
Quote:
rather than focusing on what each candidate will do to move forward.

john mccain chose sarah palin to be the #2 executive in the government, truf. he wanted to choose andy cuomo head the sec. by all means, let's talk about his "judgement".

Ok, let's talk about Judgement!

Obama picked Joe Biden! One of Obama's most outspoke critics. A man who said that John McCain would be a better President than Obama. He is a walking gaffe machine! He doesn't know who was President during the Depression. He stated that he an Obama opposed clean coal (Obama supports it!) He told a man in a wheelchair to STAND UP!!!!

Return to Top
#1052422 - 09/29/08 03:23 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula TheManofSteel
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: TheManofSteel

Sorry - but I cannot accept a simplistic one-sided "It's THEIR fault" mentality.

Except that the Democrats are hauling ass overtime to do just that, as we saw in the debates where Obama kept pounding the "lax regulatory framework" mantra over and over, as did Nancy Pelosi:

http://thehill.com/leading-the-news/pelo...2008-09-16.html

They are far more concerned with winning the election at all costs, not country first by any measure.

**sigh**
EVERY party does it when it is politically expedient for them to do so. I still cannot accept it no matter who is pointing the finger.

But then again, I find that same finger-pointing happening between departments at a bank.

Human nature...... Surprise, surprise.

Return to Top
#1053141 - 09/29/08 08:26 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula corkygirl
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: corkygirl
I would venture an opinion that in 04 there were many from both sides espousing the views in this video, republicans that felt Fannie and Freddie were sound and democrats that felt the opposite.

Except that that's not an opinion, it's a guess. Or maybe more accurately, a hope. I'm sure that you can find the exception to prove the rule, yes. But if you want to assign blame for the failure to reign in Freddie & Fannie, just listen to President Bill Clinton (D).

Return to Top
#1053349 - 09/30/08 12:24 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Exactly, and here is the exchange from President Clinton:

http://wwwwakeupamericans-spree.blogspot.com/2008/09/bill-clinton-blames-democrats-for.html
NewsBusters catches a portion of a video shown by Political Radar, where Bill Clinton blames Democrats for resisting Republicans and himself regarding tightening up on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Key exchange:

CHRIS CUOMO, ABC NEWS: A little surprising for you to hear the Democrats saying, "This came out of nowhere, this is all about the Republicans. We had nothing to do with this." Nancy Pelosi saying it. She signed the '99 Gramm Bill. She knew what was going on with the SEC. They're all sophisticated people. Is that playing politics in this situation?

BILL CLINTON: Well, maybe everybody does that a little bit. I think the responsibility the Democrats have may rest more in resisting any efforts by Republicans in the Congress or by me when I was President to put some standards and tighten up a little on Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac.

Return to Top
#1053354 - 09/30/08 01:04 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula TheManofSteel
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Do'h. That's going to leave a mark.

Return to Top
#1053383 - 09/30/08 07:11 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Blade Scrapper
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Originally Posted By: NoPublicFinance

Like Clinton really cares at this point. He's not going to run for any other political office and I think he's enjoying the role of political curmudgeon.

Return to Top
#1053403 - 09/30/08 11:42 AM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Princess Romeo
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
We know that Barney Frank, Christopher Dodd, Chuck Schumer and Maxiene Waters were against any tightening of regulatory oversight of Fannie and Freddie. What Republicans were? I forget.

Return to Top
#1053516 - 09/30/08 01:50 PM Re: '04Video Dems Inhibiting Fannie/Freddie Regula Princess Romeo
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: NoPublicFinance

Like Clinton really cares at this point. He's not going to run for any other political office and I think he's enjoying the role of political curmudgeon.

That is not the point. Given that he himself is a Democrat and that he was the presiding governing authority when this all started, one would think that his criticism of the Democrats would carry a bit more objectivity than say a hard-right conservative or a Sean Hannity type.

And for all of my angst with respect to President Clinton's social positions and national defense policies, he did not govern like a fiscal liberal.

Return to Top