Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#1054249 - 09/30/08 06:49 PM Why the Bail Out is a bad idea...
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
It's not often I agree with those living in the theoretical world, but this is a good article from a Harvard Economics Professor on why the bail out is a bad idea:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/29/miron.bailout/index.html

I especially liked the part about eliminating CRA.
Last edited by FBH; 09/30/08 06:51 PM.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1054257 - 09/30/08 06:54 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... FBH
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
hope this guy is tenured

Return to Top
#1054268 - 09/30/08 07:00 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... FBH
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
This assumes that the credit markets will get back on their feet at some point. However, with the confidence crisis afflicting the credit market (nobody is really sure what is a good or bad asset anymore), without intervention, the credit markets may sit idle for months or years. Ulitmately, the credit markets need to be restarted, and quickly.

And folks, I am not talking about our institutions making consumer loans. Credit is extremely tight and everyone is hording their cash, despite the Fed's repeated attempts to inject more liquidity into the market. Basically, everyone is taking the liquidity and shoving it under their mattresses.

Return to Top
#1054283 - 09/30/08 07:06 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... straw
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
** looks under mattress **

Nah...Mine's in a coffee can. ;D

Return to Top
#1054294 - 09/30/08 07:10 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... FBH
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Further, the current credit freeze is likely due to Wall Street's hope of a bailout; bankers will not sell their lousy assets for 20 cents on the dollar if the government might pay 30, 50, or 80 cents.

this theory probably has a ton of validity. the problem that i see is that these assets truly are toxic; it's like sharing a contagion. but his assessment of the duration of infection:
Quote:
This might not happen instantly, but it will happen.

is the issue that i raised with becca l from montana. the problem is with the speed at which this happens. he didn't even expand on this important issue at all. this is telling to me.

Quote:
If these assets are worth something, however, private parties should want to buy them, and they would do so if the owners would accept fair market value.

again, the issue is when will this buying actually happen. buffet bought the best possible company with the smallest exposure to the toxicity. unfortunately, this is also the only company that this has happened to. the rest of the asset buyouts still must be integrated into their new parents along with the abundance of caution that goes with that...inside of a crippled economy.

i concur with his end conclusions but i don't agree with how he gets there. complete obliteration of regulatory systems is what got us so deep into this mess. we have a lot of lessons learned though to determine how to design constraints and enticements going forward.

Return to Top
#1054309 - 09/30/08 07:14 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... FBH
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I especially don't like the part about eliminating CRA. I like my job. I like having a job, thank you.

The point of the CRA is to assure that banks are serving the credit needs of all people in their assessment areas and not redlining, all within safe and sound banking practices.

It doesn't mean that you have to go out and make ridiculous mortgage loans to people with horrid credit or not enough income to afford the payment on a home.

Perhaps they should point the finger at greed of people. Greed of the mortgage brokers and the investors that bought those mortgages, the people who bought these off the hook homes instead of modest ones, greed of the banks that actually did get involved in making these risky loans and their ridiculously overpaid CEOs. But blaming CRA is misguided.

Return to Top
#1054320 - 09/30/08 07:18 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... bOaty
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Instead of getting rid of CRA, why not revamp it a bit to penalize banks for making loans to people who cannot afford to pay off their loan? Give banks credit for helping low and moderate income communities and individuals get credit SAFELY. Bring more safety and soundness to CRA instead of putting them somewhat at odds with one another.

Return to Top
#1054327 - 09/30/08 07:22 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
Quote:
Further, the current credit freeze is likely due to Wall Street's hope of a bailout; bankers will not sell their lousy assets for 20 cents on the dollar if the government might pay 30, 50, or 80 cents.

this theory probably has a ton of validity. the problem that i see is that these assets truly are toxic; it's like sharing a contagion. but his assessment of the duration of infection:
Quote:
This might not happen instantly, but it will happen.

is the issue that i raised with becca l from montana. the problem is with the speed at which this happens. he didn't even expand on this important issue at all. this is telling to me.

Quote:
If these assets are worth something, however, private parties should want to buy them, and they would do so if the owners would accept fair market value.

again, the issue is when will this buying actually happen. buffet bought the best possible company with the smallest exposure to the toxicity. unfortunately, this is also the only company that this has happened to. the rest of the asset buyouts still must be integrated into their new parents along with the abundance of caution that goes with that...inside of a crippled economy.

i concur with his end conclusions but i don't agree with how he gets there. complete obliteration of regulatory systems is what got us so deep into this mess. we have a lot of lessons learned though to determine how to design constraints and enticements going forward.

I can't believe you would attack this poster for simply trying to provide some information he thought was useful. Furthermore, since the article is from someone who is credentialed and much smarter than you, you can rest assure that the author thought of all your contrary points and dismissed them appropriately.

About what you said to Rainman and myself last week when we questioned your Professor's idea. I guess it is different when you disagree.

Return to Top
#1054333 - 09/30/08 07:23 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... B_F
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
Instead of getting rid of CRA, why not revamp it a bit to penalize banks for making loans to people who cannot afford to pay off their loan? Give banks credit for helping low and moderate income communities and individuals get credit SAFELY. Bring more safety and soundness to CRA instead of putting them somewhat at odds with one another.

Closet Democrat.

But seriously, the spirit of CRA is sound: Reinvesting in the community you serve. But I agree, you need to make good lending decisions based on customer stability, ability and willingness to repay their obligations. It's an old doctrine, but it still works.

Return to Top
#1054334 - 09/30/08 07:23 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... B_F
buggs Offline
Power Poster
There are plenty of respected economists who would disagree with Mr. Miron. The problem is that most people just don't really understand what's going on. He's wasting his time trying to explain that bankruptcy doesn't mean the company goes away -- most people just won't pay attention.

This crisis has to be resolved by taking actions that adrress psychological issues as well as economic issues. The sooner economists and politicians figure this out the better.

Mr. Miron's article is certainly interesting, but rank-and-file Americans will not pay any attention.

Return to Top
#1054426 - 09/30/08 07:58 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... bOaty
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: Boatn Shasta
I especially don't like the part about eliminating CRA. I like my job. I like having a job, thank you.

The point of the CRA is to assure that banks are serving the credit needs of all people in their assessment areas and not redlining, all within safe and sound banking practices.

It doesn't mean that you have to go out and make ridiculous mortgage loans to people with horrid credit or not enough income to afford the payment on a home.

Perhaps they should point the finger at greed of people. Greed of the mortgage brokers and the investors that bought those mortgages, the people who bought these off the hook homes instead of modest ones, greed of the banks that actually did get involved in making these risky loans and their ridiculously overpaid CEOs. But blaming CRA is misguided.
The problem I have with CRA is philisophical in nature in that it seeks to cure a problem that only exists in the minds of social engineer activist types.

Return to Top
#1054455 - 09/30/08 08:06 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Blade Scrapper
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I have said it before - blaming CRA for this crises is like blaming McDonald's for obesity rates in this country.
Last edited by Bonnie M; 09/30/08 08:07 PM.

Return to Top
#1054474 - 09/30/08 08:16 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Princess Romeo
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Not blaming it, just saying it's creation was based on false pretenses.

Return to Top
#1054476 - 09/30/08 08:17 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Princess Romeo
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
sounds like we are both hearing the still-beating drum of degregulatory ideology to me, bonnie. once people try to solve problems rather debate philosophy, i think that our economy will be in much better shape.

Return to Top
#1054478 - 09/30/08 08:19 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
Bailey. Offline
Power Poster
once people try to solve problems rather debate philosophy...

i think i just fell outta my chair.

Return to Top
#1054479 - 09/30/08 08:19 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
sounds like we are both hearing the still-beating drum of degregulatory ideology to me, bonnie. once people try to solve problems rather debate philosophy, i think that our economy will be in much better shape.

Hello pot?

Return to Top
#1054491 - 09/30/08 08:28 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Princess Romeo
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Bonnie M
I have said it before - blaming CRA for this crises is like blaming McDonald's for obesity rates in this country.

which, based upon your analogy, would be saying that the CRA is a contributing factor.

Return to Top
#1054492 - 09/30/08 08:29 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... TheManofSteel
A_G Online
10K Club
Seriously?

It's called making a grilled cheese at home.

edit: I see you said contributing factor. That I can live with!

Return to Top
#1054498 - 09/30/08 08:32 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
complete obliteration of regulatory systems is what got us so deep into this mess.

really? really? Ron, tell us what regulatory systems have been completely obliterated and how that obliteration got us into this mess.

Return to Top
#1054502 - 09/30/08 08:34 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... rainman
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
::waiting with baited breath for the inevitable enlightenment::

Return to Top
#1054505 - 09/30/08 08:35 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole. let's not get caught up in semantics but i think that you know that and can privately concede the larger point that i was making.

Return to Top
#1054509 - 09/30/08 08:39 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
sorry, that was a bit of hyperbole. let's not get caught up in semantics but i think that you know that and can privately concede the larger point that i was making.

Do you mean by larger point that a lack of regulatory oversight made a significant contribution to the current mess?

Return to Top
#1054514 - 09/30/08 08:41 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Hated By Some
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
let's not get caught up in semantics

Oh, come on, Ron, that's your very metier!

Return to Top
#1054515 - 09/30/08 08:41 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
well, i would rephrase that as lack of appropriate oversight but yes. i'd throw in poor enforcement as well.

Return to Top
#1054516 - 09/30/08 08:41 PM Re: Why the Bail Out is a bad idea... Blade Scrapper
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
waiting with baited breath

Either you mean "bated breath" or you have been snacking on worms and minnows.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3