Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1054374 - 09/30/08 07:35 PM Fair Lending
bkdallas Offline
100 Club
I was reading our banks Loan Policy and it states that we can match another institutions loan rate. My concern is that we might be violating Fair Lending Rules. Is this practice permissible?

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#1054381 - 09/30/08 07:38 PM Re: Fair Lending bkdallas
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
If you decision is based on matching another institution's rate, this isn't based on a protected class. I'm not sure how fair lending would tie in here.

Return to Top
#1054392 - 09/30/08 07:43 PM Re: Fair Lending David Dickinson
bkdallas Offline
100 Club
I guess my concern is customer "A" comes in and wants us to match a rate from another bank, then customer "B" comes in with the same FICO same income, and we give them a highter rate than customer "A" just because they dont ask us to match it.

Return to Top
#1054401 - 09/30/08 07:46 PM Re: Fair Lending bkdallas
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
This is where the lender documenting the file comes into play. If he/she does so properly there shouldn't be an issue.

Return to Top
#1054402 - 09/30/08 07:46 PM Re: Fair Lending bkdallas
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
This used to confuse me too, but I think as long as the lender for Customer A documents the reason for the rate discount and it is not based on anything protected, you should be ok. Now, getting the lenders to document this stuff is the bigger problem for me!

Return to Top
#1054431 - 09/30/08 08:00 PM Re: Fair Lending bkdallas
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Originally Posted By: bkdallas
I guess my concern is customer "A" comes in and wants us to match a rate from another bank, then customer "B" comes in with the same FICO same income, and we give them a highter rate than customer "A" just because they dont ask us to match it.

But you didn't make the decision based on a protected class. As others said, document it.

Return to Top
#1054788 - 10/01/08 02:55 AM Re: Fair Lending David Dickinson
Kathleen O. Blanchard Offline

10K Club
Kathleen O. Blanchard
As stated, the bank does need document rate exceptions and the reasoning. You can get into trouble if requests are only approved for white males, for example. Make sure the exceptions are approved based upon valid business reasons and applied consistently. Having standards for approval and a centralized approval process can help on pricing exceptions but documentation (and tracking) is the most important.
www.kaybeescomplianceinsights.com

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z