BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#1055573 - 10/01/08 05:35 PM Need fundraising ideas
West Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
West Texas
Lost in the desert....
My daughter and two other students from our church youth group have been accepted for a student mission trip to Japan next summer. I am looking for some fun, different fundraisers we can do throughout the next 9 months.

Any ideas??

Return to Top
#1055729 - 10/01/08 07:04 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas West Texas
Queen Bee Offline
Diamond Poster
Queen Bee
CT
I'm not that creative but you could have bake sales after church - you can do that many times before next summer right after service.

Yard Sale
Church Cookbook
Spaghetti Dinners

You could also do fundraisers like Krispy Kremes.....it's hard to come up with a fundraiser that only three people can do.

Return to Top
#1055838 - 10/01/08 07:58 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Queen Bee
West Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
West Texas
Lost in the desert....
The fundraisers would benefit the three youth, but it is likely that many of our youth students will help out. I am just trying to think of some different things, not necessarily the same things you might usually think of. (Also not wanting to take away from other fundraisers that benefit all of our youth students)

Return to Top
#1055855 - 10/01/08 08:06 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas West Texas
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
You might want to contact some of the direct sales companies (Avon, Pampered Chef, etc.) and see if they will do a fundraiser with you. Sometimes they are willing to donate a percentage of sales, and all it would require is the kids passing out catalogs and taking orders or maybe having someone host a party.

Return to Top
#1055866 - 10/01/08 08:11 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas West Texas
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We have a youth auction at the end of each school year. Our youth think of things they can do - such as wash cars, set number of hours babysitting, throw little girl's birthday party, pet sit, do yard work, do general work...etc. - just whatever they can think of that would be of value to folks.

We then "auction" their services one Wednesday night. If you have any competitive folks in your church, you can rack up some bucks. We usually raise around $2000 doing this. Don't know how many youth you have in your youth group but this works well and let me tell you, if the right people get the general work kids - they earn their money clearing land, cleaning out attics, doing minor repairs around a house etc.

The also have silent auction items that are donated by area merchants. Folks can then bid on these items and all the money goes to the the youth group. The kids have to get the items donated by talking to the merchants.

A spaghetti dinner one Sunday after church usually sells really well also.
Last edited by waldensouth; 10/01/08 08:13 PM.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1055908 - 10/01/08 08:42 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas waldensouth
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Tupperware will participate in fundraising efforts. Something different that everyone uses!

Return to Top
#1056022 - 10/01/08 10:20 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas RR Sarah
Snowgirl Offline
Platinum Poster
Not sure where you are located or if this would work in your area, but we are located in a small town and our local grocery store (only have one) was willing to let us sell bottled water (that we obtained from another source), with our school logo on it and all the proceeds from the sale of the water bottles went to the group.

Another fund raiser that went over well at our school was to sell seat cushions to use for those "hard" bleacher seats.

Return to Top
#1056130 - 10/02/08 11:25 AM Re: Need fundraising ideas Snowgirl
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Also - Yankee Candle has fundraisers. My son used to sell those in choir in high school and it went over really well and if memory serves the school got to keep 43% of the sales.

Return to Top
#1056142 - 10/02/08 12:06 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Skittles
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
My son's youth group would have soup and salad lunches after church on Sunday a couple times a year. They would call ladies in the church to get donations of salads. The counselors would make three kinds of soup (vegetable, cream of broccoli, and potato) and a LARGE tossed salad. Members would purchase tickets in advance. Donors would deliver their salads to the social hall just prior to Sunday school or church. The ladies in the church would call to donate before they could be contacted a lot of times.

Everyone loved this event! I thought it was great that people would donate salads and then pay to eat too!
Last edited by Bagweaver; 10/02/08 12:07 PM.

Return to Top
#1056224 - 10/02/08 01:26 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Bagweaver
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
In the Snow :)
Our youth have done carwashes; yardsales and bedding plant sales in the spring.

One that also went over well was a soup sale. They would take orders, and make big pots of chicken noodle soup. They sold it by the quart, with a price of $5 I believe. They did it once a month from November through February, and it always sold out.

Return to Top
#1056249 - 10/02/08 01:41 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Snow Bunny
East Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
East Texas
This is the perfect time of year to assist with yard work for a donation. House cleaning and minor repairs works well, too. If it is warm enough, having a dog & car wash is fun. People can bring both their vehicle and their pet to be cleaned up. If you add vaccuuming to the list of details done in the car, the value to the customer goes WAY up and they will pay/donate more.

Take home suppers go over really well. Have something that the family can pick up and take back home to eat or heat later and eat. Often, people don't have a lot of time to go and sit down at a church sponsored dinner, but having it ready to eat whenever they get two minutes to do so is a treat! Good food suggestions here are soup/chili, enchiladas, pasta. Hamburgers, chicken strips, and other sandwiches don't hold real well.

Dessert auctions always work well at our church.

Return to Top
#1056254 - 10/02/08 01:48 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas East Texas
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Oh, yeah! I'd forgotten this one . . .

Members of the church would pay the youth to go sing Christmas carols the week before Christmas. They'd tell the people they were singing to who had sent them.
Last edited by Bagweaver; 10/02/08 01:48 PM.

Return to Top
#1056276 - 10/02/08 02:08 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Bagweaver
TXBSA Offline
100 Club
TX
The student auction is a good idea. This was an annual thing for me while I was in school. We always made a lot of money for the FFA doing this.

Return to Top
#1056298 - 10/02/08 02:23 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Bagweaver
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
Originally Posted By: Bagweaver
Oh, yeah! I'd forgotten this one . . .

Members of the church would pay the youth to go sing Christmas carols the week before Christmas. They'd tell the people they were singing to who had sent them.

Cute idea - kind of like a singing telegram.

Return to Top
#1057316 - 10/03/08 03:25 AM Re: Need fundraising ideas Queen Bee
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Rowdy1
I'm not that creative but you could have bake sales after church - you can do that many times before next summer right after service.

Yard Sale
Church Cookbook
Spaghetti Dinners

You could also do fundraisers like Krispy Kremes.....it's hard to come up with a fundraiser that only three people can do.

If you do a church cookbook, I highly recommend that you post in the BOL cooler that you have them for sale as a fundraiser. We've got a lot of people around here who like cookbooks and cooking! You may want to ask MOPNB who helped her put together the Natalie's Nummies cookbook. It was VERY professionally done, and well worth the cost.

Return to Top
#1058596 - 10/06/08 01:11 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas B_F
West Texas Offline
Diamond Poster
West Texas
Lost in the desert....
Thanks so much for all of the ideas!!

Return to Top
#1058630 - 10/06/08 01:41 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas West Texas
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
A local church each year "auctions" off the services of the youth group teens to put up and take down Halloween, Thanksgiving, and Christmas decorations inside and outside the parishioner's homes. The kids work hard on 6 Saturdays (one day to put up and one day to tear down, for each holiday), but they make a small fortune doing it. Good luck!

Return to Top
#1059436 - 10/07/08 12:55 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas BurntSienna
Carin Eisenhauer Offline
Platinum Poster
Carin Eisenhauer
Edmond, OK

My daughters swim team sells Butter Braids, they are an easy sell.

http://www.butterbraid.com/

Return to Top
#1059933 - 10/07/08 04:52 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Carin Eisenhauer
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny
West Texas - in the past, our youth have done seasonal plant sales. They contract with a local nursery for a discounted price, then take orders for potted plants which they sell to members of the church via orders taken. They add about $1 profit to the discounted price they receive. They do chrysanthemums for the fall, poinsettias for Christmas, a range of Easter flowers, and geraniums at Pentecost. They are delivered in time for a Sunday morning pick-up, and are a festive decoration to the nave.

Return to Top
#1060110 - 10/07/08 06:44 PM Re: Need fundraising ideas Snow Bunny
Bankerette Offline
100 Club
South of Canadian Border
Every fall, students from our local high school do an apple pie sale. They canvas the area, family, friends and neighbors. Then on a November Saturday morning, Moms, Dads, and students go to the school cafeteria and start making dough, rolling crust, peeling and slicing apples and assembling them. They make over 1000 pies in a day. They have them boxed with baking instructions on the box. The people who have bought the pies will come to the school to pick them up. They are wonderful. The funds raised are to send our Seniors on a trip in the spring.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett