Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#1058132 - 10/03/08 07:14 PM Bank employee drawing
complyyes Offline
Midwest
We solicit donations from our employees every year for the United Way Campaign. This year they want to give tickets out for drawings & prizes. If you donate $ you get one ticket, if you donate $$ you get 6 tickets and so forth. Should everyone in the bank get one ticket regardless of donating? Is this permissible or does it fall under the term "lottery"?

Return to Top
Marketing
#1058139 - 10/03/08 07:19 PM Re: Bank employee drawing complyyes
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Sounds like all the makings of a lottery to me.

Return to Top
#1119831 - 01/30/09 02:46 PM Re: Bank employee drawing rlcarey
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Just to clarify, even if the "lottery" is part of an incentive program for employees (no outsiders involved), it is an illegal lottery for compliance purposes?

We have a vendor who will pay the Bank $X/quarter if certain goals are met. The Bank wants to put an employee's name in a hat if they do something (consideration) and then once a quarter draw a few winners. Am I to understand this is not permitted? If so, how big a regulatory risk is this?

Return to Top
#1119994 - 01/30/09 04:12 PM Re: Bank employee drawing Tesla
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
First, section 20 of the FDI Act prohibits banks from doing ANYTHING with lotteries. It doesn't say anything about employees or customers.

Technically, I don't think this is a problem. The definition does say they have to give "consideration". It say they must "advance money or credit".

Return to Top
#1120021 - 01/30/09 04:25 PM Re: Bank employee drawing David Dickinson
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
"We have a vendor who will pay the Bank $X/quarter if certain goals are met."

However, depending on what this vendor is involved with, there may be other considerations.

Return to Top
#1120113 - 01/30/09 04:56 PM Re: Bank employee drawing rlcarey
Tesla Offline
Power Poster
Thanks Randy and David.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, MoneyMaker