Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1058891 - 10/06/08 05:06 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Jokerman
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Originally Posted By: Jokerman
Originally Posted By: Comp Guy
My guess, the same thing!

Very helpful, thanks!

And your question did not imply that the market would be far worse? That would be your guess. But, speculation is what put us in this situation in the first place. Do you always attempt to lead by fear and speculation?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1058892 - 10/06/08 05:07 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Hated By Some
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
Originally Posted By: Sinatra Fan
I'm moving some money out of short term into stocks. Looks like a buying opportunity right now to me.

the best investor in the world agrees with you.

Right you are, Ronno! If you have the courage, now is the time to buffet the winds of turmoil.

Return to Top
#1058902 - 10/06/08 05:14 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Robin Goodfellow
KTMiteComply Offline
Power Poster
KTMiteComply
only if I want to....
No...that is not what I want to do at all, but it does concern me for especially the elderly that are not investment savy. I don't know how many of you guys have seen this in your institutions but it does incite panick especially amoung that age group and for them it bothers me.

I do tend to like Cramer myself, but I worry about the affects of him saying that on TV like he said it.....just sayin

Return to Top
#1058942 - 10/06/08 05:40 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Comp Guy No More
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
My guess, the same thing!

Very helpful, thanks!

And your question did not imply that the market would be far worse? That would be your guess. But, speculation is what put us in this situation in the first place. Do you always attempt to lead by fear and speculation?

First, lighten up, Francis. This is an internet message board - anyone trying to "lead" here needs to get a life. You don't like the "bailout" plan - we get it. But you have yet to answer how your "insurance" plan injects liquidity into a deleveraging economy. Maybe if you answered that question, instead of parroting a plan you heard about somewhere else, I'd be interested in hearing it. Cheap rhetorical points about what the Dow is doing today, in the face of Europe's realization about just how deep their problems are, is not of particular interest to me. But, again, thanks.

Return to Top
#1058956 - 10/06/08 05:52 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Jokerman
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Actually, I answered that awile back, when I first started pushing the common sense plan. Parroting is exactly what was needed. I'm not an economist so I listen to the pros who make sense and follow. So, tell me why the bailout will work.

Return to Top
#1059035 - 10/06/08 07:08 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Jokerman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
...you have yet to answer how your "insurance" plan injects liquidity into a deleveraging economy.
Actually, I answered that awile back, when I first started pushing the common sense plan.

Please, provide a link.

So, tell me why the bailout will work.

It depends on how you define "work", of course, but the reasons I think the bailout has a better chance of working than anything else I've seen have been posted here:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...rue#Post1056427 And http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...rue#Post1055195

Return to Top
#1059067 - 10/06/08 07:24 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Jokerman
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
So, what would have happened without the plan?

I was not necessarily bashing the plan, but the frenzy the plan created. When the plan failed the markets fell because of a lack of confidence in the financial system. The Agencies rallied around that and used the market fall to pressure people into backing a plan that would "stabilize the financial markets." Using their logic by approving the plan, the markets should rise not fall.
I guess Washington and their rush for "bailout" can't control everything

Return to Top
#1059074 - 10/06/08 07:28 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Jokerman
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
...you have yet to answer how your "insurance" plan injects liquidity into a deleveraging economy.
Actually, I answered that awile back, when I first started pushing the common sense plan.

Please, provide a link.

It depends on how you define "work", of course, but the reasons I think the bailout has a better chance of working than anything else I've seen have been posted here:

http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...rue#Post1056427 And http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...rue#Post1055195

You provided the link for me! Thanks! From my Common Sense Plan post:

Insure the subprime bonds/mortgages with an underlying FHA-type insurance. Government-insured and backed loans would have an instant market all over the world, creating immediate and needed liquidity.

Return to Top
#1059112 - 10/06/08 07:46 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Comp Guy No More
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Please, provide a link.

Insure the subprime bonds/mortgages with an underlying FHA-type insurance. Government-insured and backed loans would have an instant market all over the world, creating immediate and needed liquidity.

What value would the insurance cover? Never got an answer to that question. Would it be book value, current market value or something in between?

And how does the insurance provide liquidity? May make the securities safer, but won't necessarily get investors to open their purse strings, which is really what is needed.

Return to Top
#1059142 - 10/06/08 07:59 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Hated By Some
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
buffet is a value investor. he found 3 firms in as many weeks that he's pumped some 15bn into. buffet is essentially building in a premium for his investments so that others aren't just riding on his hard work. also, since he has the balls to do this, he can demand premiums from the targets because they need the money.

in other words, his premiums are from the pref stock/bonds.

just remember, not every company is ge or goldman sachs but there is unequivocally value to be had in the market. i wouldn't be too intimidated that you aren't going to get the premiums that buffet got in the deals. chances are that you are an equity appreciation investor anyway.

Wouldn't it be nice, one time, to be able to invest like this?

And if you lose you still have a few billion left over!!!

Return to Top
#1059211 - 10/06/08 08:28 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 straw
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Originally Posted By: straw

Please, provide a link.

What value would the insurance cover? Never got an answer to that question. Would it be book value, current market value or something in between?

And how does the insurance provide liquidity? May make the securities safer, but won't necessarily get investors to open their purse strings, which is really what is needed.

I don't have an answer on the value. I think somewhere in between since the plan also proposed eliminating mark-to-market for subprime bonds and mortgages.

It doesn't provide money directly but by providing insurance the bonds become more saleable. The intent is to create a market for these loans. They're not all bad (non-performing).

Return to Top
#1059242 - 10/06/08 08:42 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 Comp Guy No More
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw

Please, provide a link.

I don't have an answer on the value. I think somewhere in between since the plan also proposed eliminating mark-to-market for subprime bonds and mortgages.

It doesn't provide money directly but by providing insurance the bonds become more saleable. The intent is to create a market for these loans. They're not all bad (non-performing).

Liquidity? This is the exact reason the plan was scrubbed. Don't get me wrong, I don't know if the adopted plan will work any better, but I thought the insurance plan had zero chance.

Return to Top
#1059327 - 10/06/08 10:24 PM Re: [s]Rescue[/s] Bailout Passes, Dow below 10,000 straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Comp Guy, the problem right now is deleveraging and a lack of liquidity. You can argue that it's just a painful process that we've got to get through - I'm sympathetic to the argument but I'm not willing to make it. But I don't see how you can argue that insuring these assets provides an offset to the deleveraging problem that is the heart of the crisis. The plan to purchase creates liquidity and adds leverage to the economy through the treasury, so I see how it can help.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2