Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1059223 - 10/06/08 08:33 PM Starbucks.....
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Starbucks was blasted by environmental experts Sunday night after The Sun discovered it pours millions of gallons of precious water down the drain at its coffee shops.

The giant coffee chain has a policy of keeping a tap running non-stop at all its 10,000 outlets worldwide, wasting 6.2 million gallons a day.

That would provide enough daily water for the entire two million-strong population of drought-hit Namibia in Africa, or fill an Olympic-sized pool every 83 minutes.

Every Starbucks branch has a cold tap behind the counter providing water for a sink called a "dipper well," used for washing spoons and utensils.

Staff are banned from turning the water off under bizarre health and safety rules -- bosses claim a constant flow stops germs breeding in the taps.

Starbucks has built up a massive chain, popular with coffee drinkers from Hollywood stars to construction workers, and proudly boasts of its work for the environment.

But water companies accused the firm of harming the environment by frittering away a vital natural resource.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1059233 - 10/06/08 08:39 PM Re: Starbucks..... MB Guy
Peepers Offline
10K Club
this may explain why my latte is so expensive

that's it! only beer in the morning from now on

Return to Top
#1059252 - 10/06/08 08:48 PM Re: Starbucks..... Peepers
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
No wonder Starbucks had to charge that ambulance company $130.00 for 3 cases of water on 9/11/2001! Their water bill must be astronomical and they have to make it up any way they can. /sarcasm font off

Return to Top
#1059658 - 10/07/08 03:01 PM Re: Starbucks..... BurntSienna
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
I grew up drinking coffee and liked it just fine, only to discover that, according to Starbucks, I didn't know what good coffee was supposed to be like. According to Starbucks, my coffee beans should overroasted and I should use twice as many beans as recommended by the coffee manufacturers that have been dealing in this product for centuries. Instead of my usual milk and two sugars, I should have whipped, foamy, steamed milk and about a dozen sugars. Apparently the coffee tastes so good you have to hide the flavor under all that sweetness.

The next thing you know, people are going to tell me that the nationally marketed beer I've been drinking is inadequate and I have to drink a regional or local micro brew that I can't pronounce, remember the name of or digest.

I actually believe people flock to these products in an effort to appear smarter, more urbane and sophisticated and to create some divide between themselves and the average guy in a wife-beater t-shirt. First we have to live in a swanky, upscale subdivision in a McMansion, then we have to drive the largest SUV we can get a loan for, then we have to indulge in the most expensive foods and beverages we can find, whether they are good or not, just to prove that we are a success to ourselves and the rest of the world.

And, when that fails to make us feel superior to others, we come to the Cooler and discuss politics.

Return to Top
#1059668 - 10/07/08 03:05 PM Re: Starbucks..... Mint Julep
A_G Offline
10K Club
wow.

cyncial much?

Return to Top
#1059671 - 10/07/08 03:07 PM Re: Starbucks..... Mint Julep
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
The first coffeehouse chain, Diedrich's (recently bought out by The Cult of the Green Mermaid) had absolutely the best coffee on the planet. Just perfect, whether you got a fufu latte type drink, or just coffee. The founder, Martin Diedrich has since opened one named after his son Kean, bringing heavenly coffee back from the abyss. Those not in Southern California generally, and south Orange County specifically are just out of luck.

Return to Top
#1059675 - 10/07/08 03:10 PM Re: Starbucks..... Mint Julep
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
Originally Posted By: Mint Julep

I actually believe people flock to these products in an effort to appear smarter, more urbane and sophisticated and to create some divide between themselves and the average guy in a wife-beater t-shirt. First we have to live in a swanky, upscale subdivision in a McMansion, then we have to drive the largest SUV we can get a loan for, then we have to indulge in the most expensive foods and beverages we can find, whether they are good or not, just to prove that we are a success to ourselves and the rest of the world.

gosh, I'm just lucky to be me! You get what you see!

Return to Top
#1059676 - 10/07/08 03:12 PM Re: Starbucks..... pjs
A_G Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
#1059683 - 10/07/08 03:15 PM Re: Starbucks..... A_G
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO

Return to Top
#1059704 - 10/07/08 03:22 PM Re: Starbucks..... pjs
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
We prefer Dunkin' Donuts coffee. Mint, my husband feels that Starbucks coffee tastes burnt.

Return to Top
#1059711 - 10/07/08 03:24 PM Re: Starbucks..... Skittles
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
That's because it does. Only reason I drink it is convenience. There seems to be a state law in CA that there must be a Green Mermaid every square block. Dunkin coffee is pretty good, I must say.

Return to Top
#1059715 - 10/07/08 03:26 PM Re: Starbucks..... Blade Scrapper
A_G Offline
10K Club
Timmy Hos is the way to go!!!! It's regional and if you've never been, you should be jealous...

although, I do like some of Starbuck's specialty drinks now and then...

Return to Top
#1059717 - 10/07/08 03:28 PM Re: Starbucks..... Blade Scrapper
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I've had Starbucks twice, both times I also thought it tasted burnt. We have a local coffee house that does a good job, and a local chain (P.J.'s) that also bests Starbucks. Funnily enough, there are not that many Starbucks in south La., and they are closing 8 in BR alone. They never figured out that many people down here like chicory coffee (which I find nasty) and they won't sell it. They also won't do a cafe au lait, which is what I like. And Starbucks is almost double the cost of coffee from any other chain down here.

MB - national beers do often pale in comparison to microbrews, if you get the right ones. But like many things in life, it is what you prefer that really matters.

Return to Top
#1059860 - 10/07/08 04:15 PM Re: Starbucks..... HappyGilmore
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
People think I'm crazy because I live in Seattle and I don't drink coffee.

Return to Top
#1059864 - 10/07/08 04:15 PM Re: Starbucks..... Becka Marr
Peepers Offline
10K Club
that's not why people think you're crazy

Return to Top
#1059875 - 10/07/08 04:21 PM Re: Starbucks..... Becka Marr
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
That's OK. People think I'm crazy because I live in NJ and didn't watch The Sopranos and don't usually vote Democratic.

I'm not a fan of Starbucks usually, although their White Chocolate Mocha with a shot of raspberry is like dessert in a cup. Mmmmm.

Return to Top
#1059884 - 10/07/08 04:28 PM Re: Starbucks..... Peepers
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
I like It's a Grind Coffee house

Return to Top
#1059885 - 10/07/08 04:28 PM Re: Starbucks..... Peepers
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Mr. Peepers
that's not why people think you're crazy

It's just one of many reasons...

Return to Top
#1059905 - 10/07/08 04:35 PM Re: Starbucks..... Becka Marr
Peepers Offline
10K Club
bingo

Return to Top
#1059910 - 10/07/08 04:39 PM Re: Starbucks..... *nUnZeO*
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Originally Posted By: pRiNceSS fAtiMA
I like It's a Grind Coffee house
It's a Grind tastes more like hot water with a slight taste of coffee.

Return to Top
#1059965 - 10/07/08 05:14 PM Re: Starbucks..... Blade Scrapper
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
"A cup of your best hot water with brown grit in it, unless by some miracle your Coffee Shop has started selling coffee." ~Blackadder

Return to Top
#1060019 - 10/07/08 05:50 PM Re: Starbucks..... A_G
Mint Julep Offline
Diamond Poster
Mint Julep
Tennessee
Originally Posted By: AuditGuy
wow.

cyncial much?

Most of my friends describe me as "brutally honest".

The rest describe me as an "@$$".

I don't deny either description. "IyamwutIyam!"

Return to Top
#1060236 - 10/07/08 07:34 PM Re: Starbucks..... Mint Julep
Happy Birthday waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
We don't have a Starbucks in our little town and it doesn't bother me a bit. I've never liked their coffee, the few times I've had it. I prefer to buy my own coffee beans and grind them fresh. It tastes better.

they had a segment on beer Saturday on CBS. The Beer Expert they had on said that Guiness had fewer calories than low fat milk.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#1060262 - 10/07/08 07:51 PM Re: Starbucks..... waldensouth
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Originally Posted By: waldensouth
We don't have a Starbucks in our little town and it doesn't bother me a bit. I've never liked their coffee, the few times I've had it. I prefer to buy my own coffee beans and grind them fresh. It tastes better.

they had a segment on beer Saturday on CBS. The Beer Expert they had on said that Guiness had fewer calories than low fat milk.

yea frickin right....

Either way I still wouldn't drink Guiness it'll put hairs on your chest...and who knows where else...

**don't want to end up like my boi peepers**

Return to Top
#1060304 - 10/07/08 08:18 PM Re: Starbucks..... *nUnZeO*
Queen Bee Offline
Diamond Poster
Queen Bee
CT
Starbucks coffee is disgusting but other Starbucks drinks are good-although way overpriced. DD is way more economical.

Timmy Hos is gross too I think.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2