Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#1059133 - 10/06/08 07:55 PM Was Ifell a fair moderator?
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
I thought this was an interesting article.

http://www.americanthinker.com/2008/10/gwen_ifills_vp_debate_bias.html

Some things here I never would have thought of.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1059146 - 10/06/08 08:02 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Jessilynn
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
fair moderator....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Return to Top
#1059155 - 10/06/08 08:05 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Miscuit
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
As moderators go, I liked Queen Latifah better.

Return to Top
#1059157 - 10/06/08 08:06 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? BurntSienna
ITGuy Offline
Gold Star
Alabama
Queen Latifah's facial expressions were priceless!

Return to Top
#1059164 - 10/06/08 08:07 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Miscuit
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Ms. Biscuit
fair moderator....hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

don't even think it!

Return to Top
#1059172 - 10/06/08 08:12 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Pale Rider
Miscuit Offline
10K Club
Miscuit
TX
can't help myself!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#1059174 - 10/06/08 08:13 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Pale Rider
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
I thought several of the questions reflected her world view. For example, that Bush invented bipartisanship. And tying Palin to an opinion held by a basically reviled Cheney (even if it was just that the sun sets in the West) was an attempt to use an nonexistent association to make undecided voters wince.

Return to Top
#1059176 - 10/06/08 08:14 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? BurntSienna
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Cerulean

I'm with you there - she was awesome!

But I thought Ifill was pretty fair. You can nitpick these things to death, but both Biden and Palin gave the answers they wanted to give, no matter how the question was put.

Return to Top
#1059186 - 10/06/08 08:19 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: rainman
Originally Posted By: Cerulean

I'm with you there - she was awesome!

But I thought Ifill was pretty fair. You can nitpick these things to death, but both Biden and Palin gave the answers they wanted to give, no matter how the question was put.

You can't say the Cheney question was fair. She could have deleted his name. I couldn't believe it when I heard her associate Palin with Cheney.

Return to Top
#1059199 - 10/06/08 08:25 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? The OG Zaibatsu
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
She could have, but I don't think it was unfair not to.

a) He is the one who has put forth this view - why is it wrong to note that; and
b) He is, after all, the sitting Republican VP and she is the Republican VP candidate

Return to Top
#1059228 - 10/06/08 08:36 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
She could have, but I don't think it was unfair not to.

a) He is the one who has put forth this view - why is it wrong to note that; and
b) He is, after all, the sitting Republican VP and she is the Republican VP candidate

Let's see, this is such a difficult question...Why would it be biased to try to tie a GOP VP to a GOP administration that the GOP ticket is running away from? Why would it be biased to try to tie the GOP ticket to a GOP President who has a low approval rating? I suppose you are right, and likewise it'd have not shown bias if she'd been a conservative moderator and had asked Biden a similar question using Jeremiah Wright or Bill Ayers (without asking Palin a similar question).

Gee, rainman, I really can't think of a single reason how it shows bias. You got me good on this one.

Return to Top
#1059305 - 10/06/08 09:35 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? The OG Zaibatsu
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
Why would it be biased to try to tie the GOP ticket to a GOP President who has a low approval rating?

To quote from the article you linked, I reject your premise, IMO. You could just as easily argue that she was giving Palin a chance to distinguish herself from Cheney (Palin certainly took every other opportunity to distance , as opposed to trying to tie her to Cheney. I think it's a fair question because Cheney has put out this interpretation of the VP's position that has generated a fair amount of controversy. It would almost be silly not to discuss it in the VP debate.

Return to Top
#1059320 - 10/06/08 10:03 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Just once I would like any debate moderator to respond to a candidates non-answer by saying that is a very succinct and eloquent answer to a question I didn't ask. Now how about you try answering the question I asked.

Return to Top
#1059345 - 10/06/08 11:12 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? straw
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: straw
Just once I would like any debate moderator to respond to a candidates non-answer by saying that is a very succinct and eloquent answer to a question I didn't ask. Now how about you try answering the question I asked.

Agreed. Problem is, moderators lack job security. And the candidates get to (effectively) determine moderator selection.

Return to Top
#1059352 - 10/06/08 11:51 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
You can nitpick these things to death, but both Biden and Palin gave the answers they wanted to give, no matter how the question was put.

this

i wish that the mods were more active in these debates. basically all they do is ask a token question without any assurance of whether the issue will even be addressed.

Return to Top
#1059369 - 10/07/08 01:22 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
Quote:
You can nitpick these things to death, but both Biden and Palin gave the answers they wanted to give, no matter how the question was put.

this

i wish that the mods were more active in these debates. basically all they do is ask a token question without any assurance of whether the issue will even be addressed.

Ha! I refuse to address you until you address this:

New Tag Line Needed Due to Poor Performance

Return to Top
#1059372 - 10/07/08 02:03 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i'm in a bad place, man.

the phils give me some solace but i don't have much confidence in them. i had more in the eagles but andy needs to go. thanks but no thanks, andy.

Return to Top
#1059376 - 10/07/08 02:39 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Quote:
Why would it be biased to try to tie the GOP ticket to a GOP President who has a low approval rating?

To quote from the article you linked, I reject your premise, IMO. You could just as easily argue that she was giving Palin a chance to distinguish herself from Cheney (Palin certainly took every other opportunity to distance , as opposed to trying to tie her to Cheney. I think it's a fair question because Cheney has put out this interpretation of the VP's position that has generated a fair amount of controversy. It would almost be silly not to discuss it in the VP debate.

First, I did not link to an article.

Second, if you think your argument is as easily arrived at, I've got some oceanfront property in Arizona you'd probably be interested in.

I suppose from your worldview it would be silly not to try to tie McCain/Palin to an unpopular VP and President.

If you think it would be silly not to ask it, why didn't she ask Biden if he agrees with Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi that Wall Street deserves a $700 billion bailout. It would have given him a chance to distance himself from this unpopular position held by leaders of his party.

Return to Top
#1059378 - 10/07/08 02:43 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? The OG Zaibatsu
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
dude, you don't want the vp candidate to compare/contrast themselves with the current vp? even when the current one is so maligned? what kind of evidence theory do they teach in texas?

Return to Top
#1059379 - 10/07/08 03:39 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? Hated By Some
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
Originally Posted By: McCain Economics
dude, you don't want the vp candidate to compare/contrast themselves with the current vp? even when the current one is so maligned? what kind of evidence theory do they teach in texas?

Teach? Theory? Ever tried a case before a judge or jury? And won?

His name has been so out of the spotlight of late, I wouldn't want him mentioned at all.

So, in the debate, Gwen was figuratively Sarah's counsel just trying to help her contrast herself with the current VP. Gotta call bull on that one.

Return to Top
#1059390 - 10/07/08 04:33 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? The OG Zaibatsu
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
If you think it would be silly not to ask it, why didn't she ask Palin Biden if she agrees with Mitch McConnell and John Boehner Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi that Wall Street deserves a $700 billion bailout. It would have given her him a chance to distance herself himself from this unpopular position held by leaders of her his party.

Where were you going with that, anyway? In fact, she did ask both of them what should be done about the crisis.

But please, don't let the facts get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

And by the way, I have made up my mind and I am voting McCain. I just think it's silly for him or his supporters to waste time on silly issues like this instead of putting out actual substantive arguments in his favor.

Last edited by rainman; 10/07/08 04:34 AM.

Return to Top
#1059406 - 10/07/08 11:56 AM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
Jessilynn Offline
100 Club
We can only hope that the "debate" tonight is a little more clear and not so "subtil".

Let's get ready to rumble!

Return to Top
#1059425 - 10/07/08 12:44 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
The OG Zaibatsu Offline
Diamond Poster
The OG Zaibatsu
Texas
rainman--

Taking my quote out of context may serve your purposes, but it does not advance the conversation. I am not looking for some conspiracy theory. I just think she let her liberalism (and don't tell me she is not a liberal through and through) come out. Liberal journalists don't usually think that they are being biased when the are. When you live and breathe in a liberal world, what passes for unbiased is very different than for those of us, liberal and conservative, who live in the real world. I never said that she led a conspiracy, I just think that her attempt (and I truly think she did attempt) to be unbiased failed in some aspects--the question about Cheney being one of them.

My ludicrous example including Barney Frank and Pelosi was only intended as a suggested question for her to ask Biden to even things out. Your "fix" was completely out of context.
Last edited by In Memory of...; 10/07/08 12:55 PM.

Return to Top
#1059432 - 10/07/08 12:52 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? The OG Zaibatsu
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
His name has been so out of the spotlight of late, I wouldn't want him mentioned at all

i didn't realize that you were palin's political handler.

the point is, isn't it relevant for a potential vp to compare/contrast herself to a reviled current vp? and ignoring the "give her a chance to" point, why is such an obvious concern that many many americans (what's cheney's approval rating? like 5%? so 95% of americans would care about the response then) a biased question? no, tex, i am going to have to call bull on you.

Return to Top
#1059435 - 10/07/08 12:54 PM Re: Was Ifell a fair moderator? rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
If you think it would be silly not to ask it, why didn't she ask Palin Biden if she agrees with Mitch McConnell and John Boehner Barney Frank and Nancy Pelosi that Wall Street deserves a $700 billion bailout. It would have given her him a chance to distance herself himself from this unpopular position held by leaders of her his party.

Where were you going with that, anyway? In fact, she did ask both of them what should be done about the crisis.

But please, don't let the facts get in the way of your conspiracy theories.

And by the way, I have made up my mind and I am voting McCain. I just think it's silly for him or his supporters to waste time on silly issues like this instead of putting out actual substantive arguments in his favor.

yeah right!

BILL AYERS! BILL AYERS! that's what matters!

even though obama was 6. and he denounced the actions. and he doesn't associate with him. etc...

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2