Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23
Thread Options
#1059691 - 10/07/08 03:18 PM twilight
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
So the grangirl tells me I HAVE to read this. I'm 80% done and have this great mental image of Edward when she tells me that 'Cedric' is playing him in the movie. aarrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh! Totally ruined my mental picture of him. I mean, really, he doesn't fit at all. Looking at the online images didn't help any either.

At least with HP you knew what he was going to look like from the minute you looked at the book cover. This guy just isn't Edward for me. Anyone else?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#1059746 - 10/07/08 03:42 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Word of advice - DO NOT look at any of the casting photos or watch the movie trailers before finishing the books! They will horribly skew your impressions of what *should* be happening or what the characters should look like.

BTW, this is the vampire series I tried to talk you into reading a couple months back.

Return to Top
#1059750 - 10/07/08 03:43 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Nope...you're not the only one. "Cedric" does not fit my mental image of Edward at all. I'm actually hoping I can get past the casting issues enough to enjoy the movie. It's the storyline adaptations that have me worried the most. The trailers I've seen have me shaking my head in disbelief.

Return to Top
#1059776 - 10/07/08 03:49 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I remember, Becca. You nudged me and then Ana pushed. I'm not enjoying it as much as I did HP but I did get #1 finished at least.

Gotta tell you, I seriously gave some thought to the notion of why my 11 year old gran would enjoy reading this as much as she did. She carried those books with her EVERYWHERE except the pool.

Yesterday I told her I thought I figured out why this appeals to her, beyond being a high school (yet not) love story. She's always been a sniffer. Used to drive everyone nuts when she was little. But she has an amazing sense of smell. When I told her my theory, she just smiled. I hope I'm not living with a tracker.

Return to Top
#1059817 - 10/07/08 04:00 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
The next two books (I'm pretending the 4th one didn't happen) are a little more 'mature' than the first one. They're still quite clean, but the story gets more interesting for us non-high school types.

Return to Top
#1059833 - 10/07/08 04:03 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
OMG!!!!!!!

I love the Twilight series I read them all in a week and a 1/2!! I can't wait for the movie, but I too was scared to see who they casted. B/c you create the image in your head and when it doesn't match it's like you aren't watching the same story

Return to Top
#1059840 - 10/07/08 04:05 PM Re: twilight *nUnZeO*
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Let me tell you I DID NOT want to read this series. I don't like fantasy books AT ALL. But my friend was like trust me you'll like it after a while, and I LOVED it. I read her first book too, it wasn't that great and it dragged on and on then it had a crappy ending

Return to Top
#1059851 - 10/07/08 04:10 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
What's the matter with the fourth one, Becca?

Princess, I was put off by the characters, shall we say 'heritage' and had to be cajoled into reading them. Thank goodness the air line stewardess stopped by and told me the first five chapters or so were pretty dry but it was worth getting through or I'd have left it on the plane.

Return to Top
#1059855 - 10/07/08 04:13 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~
Yea becca why didn't you like it?

Return to Top
#1059881 - 10/07/08 04:27 PM Re: twilight *nUnZeO*
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
What is the order of the books?
if I wanted to say, go to the library today to get one, which is first? Twilight?
Then what is the second one?

Return to Top
#1059893 - 10/07/08 04:31 PM Re: twilight QCL
*nUnZeO* Offline
Power Poster
*nUnZeO*
~*TEXAS*~

Return to Top
#1059908 - 10/07/08 04:37 PM Re: twilight *nUnZeO*
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
MOPNB, my local library has a 28 person waiting list for the Twilight series so I'm getting them from a friend. My mom's club buddies are in love with Edward and call themselves Mrs. Cullen.

Return to Top
#1059909 - 10/07/08 04:37 PM Re: twilight *nUnZeO*
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
Forget finding them at the library - there is a 23-person waiting list for Eclipse at my local library. I'm normally a "borrower" but I have broken down and bought this series 'cause I don't think there is any other way to get one (unless you have a friend who is willing to share!). I'm putting off reading the fourth book because I've heard so many people don't like it, but I'm sure I'll break down soon!

Return to Top
#1059926 - 10/07/08 04:47 PM Re: twilight DEL
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My library's waiting list was 84 people long for the series, when I signed my name to the bottom. A co-worker is reading these, but she's very slowwwww. I know, I know, I should be grateful she's letting me read them so I don't have to purchase them myself. So, she finished the first book about a month ago, and I read it in 5 evenings. I'm currently waiting for her to finish the 2nd book and/or 84 other people to do so. I haven't (yet) broken my self-imposed prohibition on purchasing any brand new books during 2008.

Return to Top
#1059950 - 10/07/08 05:04 PM Re: twilight BurntSienna
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
why not just order it from Amazon.com?

Return to Top
#1059958 - 10/07/08 05:09 PM Re: twilight TheManofSteel
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
1. Twilight
2. New Moon
3. Eclipse
4. Breaking Dawn

I shall decline airing my opinions on #4 since it would involve fairly detailed spoilers and it sounds like there are several here who may still decide to read it. RRs JLJ and joker know how I feel about it.

Return to Top
#1059966 - 10/07/08 05:14 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
ok, I wasn't thrilled with the Christmas scene teaser at the end of twilight. With what you're saying about #4, I'm thinking I should probably just stop here. But I won't. I've got to live with Ana!

btw, is the movie JUST on book 1?

Return to Top
#1059989 - 10/07/08 05:35 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Yes. Books 2 and 3 are excellent - don't let me and the movie scare you. My fellow Twilight fangirls and I have decided we're going to treat the movie like fanfiction, that way it won't (hopefully) ruin the book for us.

ETA: what Christmas scene teaser?
Last edited by RR Becca; 10/07/08 05:36 PM.

Return to Top
#1059990 - 10/07/08 05:36 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
First of all, I'm glad that I read this because my (almost) 12 year old wants to read this series and I was going to get it for her b-day but I wasn't sure if it was too mature or not (I'll probably have to read it when she gets done). But now I guess I'll go ahead and get them.

Second of all, Cedric? Cedric who? The Entertainer? Can't be, isn't he kind of old? I'm confused....

Return to Top
#1059991 - 10/07/08 05:37 PM Re: twilight bOaty
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:
Cedric who?

Robert Pattinton (sp?) - the guy who played Cedric Diggory in the HP movies.

Return to Top
#1059998 - 10/07/08 05:40 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
I just skimmed it quickly but I'm fairly sure I was reading about a scene where they were opening presents when Bella nicks her finger. Lord help me if I'm dreaming this stuff!

Jen, thank goodness someone agrees with me about Cedric. Ana thinks I've slipped a cog. 'He's absolutely perrrrrrrrrrrfect!' she insists.

Return to Top
#1060015 - 10/07/08 05:47 PM Re: twilight RR Becca
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
Thanks Becca, forgive my HP ignorance, not a big fan but my daughter hasn't put those books down in years...

OK, I can picture him better....you have no idea the visual I was having

Return to Top
#1060044 - 10/07/08 06:11 PM Re: twilight bOaty
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
Our local library allows patrons to download the audiobook from home, yet there's still a waiting list for that. However, once the book becomes available you can load it to your MP3 (and now iPod) for listening at your leisure. For those of us who don't like to read.

Return to Top
#1060052 - 10/07/08 06:17 PM Re: twilight Truffle Royale
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Originally Posted By: Truffle Royale
I just skimmed it quickly but I'm fairly sure I was reading about a scene where they were opening presents when Bella nicks her finger. Lord help me if I'm dreaming this stuff!

Jen, thank goodness someone agrees with me about Cedric. Ana thinks I've slipped a cog. 'He's absolutely perrrrrrrrrrrfect!' she insists.

It's Bella's birthday...not Christmas. :):)

Return to Top
#1061000 - 10/08/08 05:09 PM Re: twilight TheManofSteel
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Originally Posted By: TheManofSteel
why not just order it from Amazon.com?

Because I vowed to myself that I won't buy any new books during calendar year 2008! The only books I've bought all year have been secondhand books for $1.00 each or less at local library book sales, and I've been borrowing books from the library otherwise. It's a personal fiscal responsibility issue for me (paying down debt, saving more), and I have a very expensive book habit I'm trying to break.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 23 1 2 3 22 23